Cyber software update worth the effort?

Hi Folks,

We have 5 Cybers with software versions 72, 70 & 61. What is the last version? Is there any advantage to updating them?

Cheers,

Scotty.
  • You can only update a Cyber with an old Status Cue or a eprom burner, if you don’t have either one of those and your cybers are working ok, I wouldn’t worrier about it.
  • Hey Mike,

Well as a matter of fact I do have an eprom programmer. I take it the software in the Cyberlight download section is the last version, but I can't read the eprom type in the schematics. I guess I can pull the label of an installed chip to see what type it is.

Think I'll give it a try - can always put the old eproms back in if it goes horribly wrong!

Cheers,

Scotty.
  • Let us know what you find . . . I *CAN* read the schematics, but they are not helpful - one says "TBD-N5" and the other has no part number for the prom . . .

- Tim

[quote=shade4;40276]Hey Mike,

Well as a matter of fact I do have an eprom programmer. I take it the software in the Cyberlight download section is the last version, but I can't read the eprom type in the schematics. I guess I can pull the label of an installed chip to see what type it is.

Think I'll give it a try - can always put the old eproms back in if it goes horribly wrong!

Cheers,

Scotty.
  • The old v60 EPROM that I de-stickered is an AMD AM29F010 – 120PC.

Will keep you posted on how I get on.
  • Much appreciated! I'll have to check and see what my -SV's are on, and make the update if needed.

I am probably the oddity in this regard, but in many ways, I prefer prom based upgrades to a lot of the uploadable stuff . . . mainly because a prom burner is not a proprietary (and frequently absurdly priced) item unlike a lot of the other solutions out there . . . Yeah, more work, but no more orphaned upload dongles and other monuments to questionable designs. Yeah, you have to get into every fixture, which I grant is a pain in the a$$, but at least you know you will have the correct tool . . .

- Tim
  • Yeah, and it's pretty hard to brick a unit when you can just put the old eprom back in.

[quote=tadawson;40302] I am probably the oddity in this regard, but in many ways, I prefer prom based upgrades to a lot of the uploadable stuff . . .
  • All of my v60-v72 cybers now seem to be happily chugging along with new v74 eproms. The v77 firmware on the web site doesn't work with my old units - the 1.04 boot code is the culprit I suspect.

I can't be 100% sure but I think the firmware might have fixed an issue one of them had with remote strike/shutdown from DMX.

Either way I'm a happy camper.
  • Glad to hear it! I honestly forgot to check the version on mine when I had them open the other day to check voltage taps. Damnnit!!!!!!

- Tim
  • Well, finally got to looking, and I have 7.2 and 7.5 . . . I wish HES would leave the release notes and such for older versions online, so that I can see what changed, to see if an upgrade is a good idea. At any rate, I did burn some proms with the 7.7 release, as per their web site, and had exactly the same result you did - 7.7 would not work. Looking at the prom images, it appears that the bootloader is a part of the image, so I would not think that would be an issue.

Oh, and mine are all AM29F010-120 as well, and I found some new locally for under $2 a pop . . . so no risk of damaging the existing working proms.

Shade4 - One curiosity - you said that you got 7.4 to work. Did you copy an existing prom, or have that image lying about and were able to burn it? And where did you find images older than 7.7?

I may also contact HES directly to see if there are any insights as to the 7.7 issue, but not sure how much help I'll get, since I don't know if they ever supported upgrades via rewriting the proms outside the fixtures . . .

- Tim
  • In your situation I would copy a 7.5 image from an existing EEPROM and use that to update the other units.
  • Just a quick shout-out to Chris at High End - thanks for all the help in getting me a viable 7.7 image to load in my Cybers!!!! You guys rock . . .

- Tim
  • Hi Tim - did you end up being able to find any change-log data pertaining to 7.7 and below? Just wondering if I should look into updating my miss-matched units!

Cheers,

TiMBO
  • [quote=TiMBO;43847]Hi Tim - did you end up being able to find any change-log data pertaining to 7.7 and below? Just wondering if I should look into updating my miss-matched units!

Cheers,

TiMBO

As per Chris from HES:

Here’s what I found about the older revs:
    73: Problems/Bugs Fix: Increased accuracy of position of rotating litho after homing. This compensated for the 4:3 gear ratio of the drive system. This fixes appx 90% of the problem. If the unit is allowed to time out and shut down normally it will return to it's proper position. If it's power is shut down before a normal shutdown is performed or the Litho is physically rotated by hand, it can come up + or - 2.7 degrees off of center until adjusted by the controller. Total error is also now limited to 5.4 degrees by correcting for homing errors introduced into the system by not being production homed properly.

74: Problems/Bugs Fix: This version corrects a positional error in the effects wheel that caused a dark halo around one edge of the light beam when using the wide angle/prism effects. It also adjusts the temperature at which the fans remain on during a fixture shutdown. The code is written such that the following is true:

temp condition action
    68C if fixture shutdown & lamp I off fans turn off
    71C if lamp I on fans on
    78C fans on
    otherwise if lamp I is on fans will be on.

75: Problems/Bugs Fix: Bug fixed in current control during homing of Rotating Litho

76: No info available.

77: Problems/Bugs Fix: Fixes position bug in CMY flag production homing. Closes CMY flags slightly more to insure a fully closed and repeatable fully saturated position.

- Tim
  • [quote=tadawson;43858]As per Chris from HES:

Here’s what I found about the older revs:
    73: Problems/Bugs Fix: Increased accuracy of position of rotating litho after homing. This compensated for the 4:3 gear ratio of the drive system. This fixes appx 90% of the problem. If the unit is allowed to time out and shut down normally it will return to it's proper position. If it's power is shut down before a normal shutdown is performed or the Litho is physically rotated by hand, it can come up + or - 2.7 degrees off of center until adjusted by the controller. Total error is also now limited to 5.4 degrees by correcting for homing errors introduced into the system by not being production homed properly.

74: Problems/Bugs Fix: This version corrects a positional error in the effects wheel that caused a dark halo around one edge of the light beam when using the wide angle/prism effects. It also adjusts the temperature at which the fans remain on during a fixture shutdown. The code is written such that the following is true:

temp condition action
    68C if fixture shutdown & lamp I off fans turn off
    71C if lamp I on fans on
    78C fans on
    otherwise if lamp I is on fans will be on.

75: Problems/Bugs Fix: Bug fixed in current control during homing of Rotating Litho

76: No info available.

77: Problems/Bugs Fix: Fixes position bug in CMY flag production homing. Closes CMY flags slightly more to insure a fully closed and repeatable fully saturated position.

- Tim

Good morning!

Thanks for the prompt reply, the revisions up to 76 don't really apply to me, although the CMY flag issue may explain why I have different graduation of colour between some fixtures.

Cheers,

TiMBO
  • [quote=TiMBO;43881]although the CMY flag issue may explain why I have different graduation of colour between some fixtures.

You also might need to do a "hub setup" on the flags.
Related