Okay, I need some help!! Trying to get started with HOG 3PC, but constant issues.

Okay,:aargh4:

I am ready to pull my hair out, and I have not even started programming yet. I am moving from another brand system to HOG 3PC, but I have not even got past verifying my patch, without issues
I am running a Monster Dell laptop with vista business with all updates, and boat loads of processor, and memory (laptop is about 2 months old) This laptop is my show system, and only run show software on (aside from Antivirus). The laptop is running Version 3.0.5 b2482

I have a DP2000 running fast Ethernet (direct cross-over cable) to the laptop.

DP2000 Ver= HOG3v3.0.5(b2482)75MHz

I am having some really dis-concerning issues with the hog system just shutting down, it completely disappears... Here I am trying to get my patch setup started, and adding & editing fixtures, and I lose everything....Just closes out.

When I try to click on the HOG3PC icon, it tells me it is already running, the DMX processor still shows "running" showserver, connected to my laptops IP. When I go to my task manager, I see all of the "hog golden32.exe's" still running. But I cannot recover the show.

This is really scaring me, because I have not even started programming, and also worried about what is going to happen during a show....

Please help, this is really getting under my skin, I moved to hog to get away from another system for all of its features, and reliability. I am also having problems with some libraries’, as they do not have all of the functions for the fixtures, or perform the functions properly.
But I guess that will be another thread.

I also have the issue where I open something like patch, or output, change a value in the programmer, and the screen will "blip", then nothing is clickable, or movable. Then the windows shutdown all at once.

When I go to "quit", the window "application not responding", and then a windows to kill the process, then if I tried to open the program again, it will give me an error, and say unable to start. If I reboot, the it will work fine...

I am trying to get to programming for a show on August 1st, but looks like I am still going to have to use my old system, the way things are going..

Any help would be appreciated.
  • [quote=Misebeam;39515]Okay,:aargh4:

I am ready to pull my hair out, and I have not even started programming yet. I am moving from another brand system to HOG 3PC, but I have not even got past verifying my patch, without issues
    I am running a Monster Dell laptop with vista business with all updates, and boat loads of processor, and memory (laptop is about 2 months old) This laptop is my show system, and only run show software on (aside from Antivirus). The laptop is running Version 3.0.5 b2482

Is it 64bit Vista you are running?

[quote=Misebeam;39515]
    I have a DP2000 running fast Ethernet (direct cross-over cable) to the laptop.

DP2000 Ver= HOG3v3.0.5(b2482)75MHz

I would try changing that, put in a switch instead of a crossover cable. Try to replace the cable to establish whether it is defective or not. Are all your network settings correct?

Regards,
  • Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Here's a couple of answers as well as questions.

When the application doesn't quit properly or crashes it often leaves behind a running process or two that need to be manaually shut down in the task manager before you can launch Hog3PC again. This is why when you tried to click on the HOG3PC icon, it told you it was already running. When you run into this situation you can resolve this by openning the task manager (ctrl, alt, del), select the processes tab, right click on launcher-win32golden.exe and select "end process tree". This should get you back in a healthy state to where you can launch Hog3PC again.

More importantly we need to find out why the application is not running well for you and keeps crashing during patching. What is your DPs net number? It should be 2 since Hog3PC runs a virtual DP at net num 1.
  • Hello, thanks for the responses!

Joe,
    My OS is 32 bit, I have it on a switch now (as of last night HP gigabit, also supports 100baset), Network is fine, and can ping device with no issues, or dropouts.

Chris,
    I do see one issue, MY DP is on net 1, I will change it to 2 when I get back today. When you say app, I do not know if each window is an app?, but when I was in setup> patch, and clicked on "fixture builder", or "edit fixtures" the system would close.

Also if I move my cursor to the primary window on the far right side, the cursor icon turns into a “resize window horizontal” , when this happens, I cannot click anything on either windows,even on my other screen. I have to hit “Ctrl-Alt-delete” then cancel, when I do this it releases the cursor back to normal..??

I was ending task to get the system back up in order to restart, but I was really concerned if this happened during a show, and having to open task manager to get started again.
  • This sounds like the desktop is crashing as well and a Pig Open Backspace should allow you to restart it. Not a fix to the real problem but it's a lot faster recovery than having to restart the whole program.

Eric
  • Hi Erock,
    Thanks for the info, unfortunately, I have not yet purchased a programming wing, So everything is software driven, and unable to perform the key sequence in the softwrae since it is locked.

Thnaks for the info!
  • Hi, pressing SETUP -> PROCESSES will get you to the same window EROCK was referring you to.
  • Hi Mitch,
    I understand what Erock is saying now, but when the cursor turns into the "horizontal resize", I can not do anything on any of my screens. I can't even click the start button, or even the windows key. The entire screen freezes (originaly I thought the computer locked). But as soon as I hit CTRL-ALT, then right as I press delete, I can see the screen move again, and it flips to task manager, once I cancel out of the cntrl-alt-del (task manager), my screen is functional again.

It happens quite often, but only when I am in Setup>patch, and mouse over the right side of the primary window.
  • If you are using the keyboard shortcuts you can press ctrl, o and backspace. You can use the pause/break key to toggle the keyboard from ABC to mapped mode. If you look to the right of the command line you will see the current state of the keyboard.
  • Hi Leebot,
    thanks for the key combo, I will try this when I get back to the shop! This sounds like it will get me out of the "locked" state. Thanks!

Thanks erock, and Mitch for the help too!!
  • Okay,

I changed my network on my DP-2000 to NET 2, and things seemed to run better. I have not had the weird screen lock up yet.

I had another problem, I tried to create a view (on number 3) with the fixture editor, and dmx values on secondary screen, and the patch on primary screen. I received the following errors:

Couldn't Quickname, "server busy, please try again
    (object 9 in array 7)
    throw from line 1834, file.\comm\comm_array.cpp"

So I tried again, and received this one:
    Error: Trap:'nobjs"sizeof(T)>MAX_VECTOR_BYTES" is TRUE
    File: c:\src\branch_gut_v3-0\gut\componets\system\fpslib\fps_vector.h(Jun 18 2009). Line 408 Version: v3.0.5(b 2482)
    From server process, PID 5196. thread TCPReciver

I have screen shots..
    After that it dumped me out, this time ending all "golden-32.exe"processes.

What next?
  • Just FYI, you can hold shift on the keyboard when in ABC mode and press the required keys within the software and you will see them held down until you release shift.

Best Regards,
  • [QUOTE=Misebeam;39534]Hi Mitch,
    I understand what Erock is saying now, but when the cursor turns into the "horizontal resize", I can not do anything on any of my screens. I can't even click the start button, or even the windows key. The entire screen freezes (originaly I thought the computer locked). But as soon as I hit CTRL-ALT, then right as I press delete, I can see the screen move again, and it flips to task manager, once I cancel out of the cntrl-alt-del (task manager), my screen is functional again.

It happens quite often, but only when I am in Setup>patch, and mouse over the right side of the primary window.

I have had this happen many many times and it drives me absolutly insane.. I thought it was just my tablet.. Good to know others are having issues with this. My tablet has a button on it that brings up the task manager which clears the 'I' curser thing. I just close it and go back to 3pc.

I also have major issues with the playback portion of the hog3pc front panel freeze. It has been happening on 3.0.4 and 3.0.5 for me. Unfortunately when I took my show file back to 3.0.3 it was corrupted from all of the 3pc crashing and force quits..
Related