Cyber not striking / Transformer issue

I have this annoying cyber that's driving me nuts; it won't even attempt to strike. I've changed the lamp, psb, ignitor, even tried connecting a known good logic board with new 14pin to the psb, so see if that was it. I am getting 120v ac on when i meter the circuit leaving the psb. Does it (or should it) jump up when it tries to fire the lamp circuit (i'm metering pre-ignitor) -- and if so, what should it be? I didn't swap the ballest or cap since it hasn't even made the bulb strike, let along not douse. :aargh4: Any ideas what I'm missing?

Also, on another fixture, what does it mean when the green light on the psb is not lit? Usually fuses, but what if it's not that? ... Is that surely a transformer issue? I've always swapped the psb and it's usually solved the issue but this other fixture is just being difficult. I doubt its a 14 pin harness issue (as others light without that connected). Bad power2logic harness would cause a no-motor LED correct?

Stephen
  • [quote=stephenwyker;39285]I have this annoying cyber that's driving me nuts; it won't even attempt to strike. I've changed the lamp, psb, ignitor, even tried connecting a known good logic board with new 14pin to the psb, so see if that was it. I am getting 120v ac on when i meter the circuit leaving the psb. Does it (or should it) jump up when it tries to fire the lamp circuit (i'm metering pre-ignitor) -- and if so, what should it be? I didn't swap the ballest or cap since it hasn't even made the bulb strike, let along not douse. :aargh4: Any ideas what I'm missing?

It is worth looking at the Power Factor Cap. If it is at all disfigured it needs to be replaced (usually they bulge out at the bottom near the connectors when they go).

If the ballast is bad the lamp will not fire.

I would also meter for connectivity the wires leading into and out of the ignitor from the PSB and to the lamp base to make sure you don't have a short or broken wire. (Obviously do this with the fixture completely unplugged).

[quote=stephenwyker;39285]Also, on another fixture, what does it mean when the green light on the psb is not lit? Usually fuses, but what if it's not that? ... Is that surely a transformer issue? I've always swapped the psb and it's usually solved the issue but this other fixture is just being difficult. I doubt its a 14 pin harness issue (as others light without that connected). Bad power2logic harness would cause a no-motor LED correct?

Generally speaking of you are missing one of the voltage indicator lights on the PSB it means that the transformer has gone bad. With the possible exception of the one for the fans which is usually the fuse or a bad fan that will keep blowing the fuse.

Which one of the three are you missing?

Hope this helps. :)
  • I was under the impression that if the ballest was bad, the lamp would at least make the attempt to strike but just not stay lite. I checked the wires and they are good. PFC is fine (I swapped that later in the evening)

As for the LEDS, I have one PSB that is missing the green LED. Checked all the fuses. On another, it's the motor LED on the logic board. The logic board issue, I swapped the 14 pin cable, and that did not make a difference. I just sent out another batch of pcbs to get repaired, so I don't have any more spares at the moment. Just thought I was missing something.
  • [quote=stephenwyker;39316]I was under the impression that if the ballest was bad, the lamp would at least make the attempt to strike but just not stay lite. I checked the wires and they are good. PFC is fine (I swapped that later in the evening)

My hunch from you description is that it is the ballast.

[quote=stephenwyker;39316]As for the LEDS, I have one PSB that is missing the green LED. Checked all the fuses.

I would say with 99% certainty that it is a bad transformer in this case.

[quote=stephenwyker;39316]On another, it's the motor LED on the logic board. The logic board issue, I swapped the 14 pin cable, and that did not make a difference. I just sent out another batch of pcbs to get repaired, so I don't have any more spares at the moment. Just thought I was missing something.

Have you tried swapping this logic board into another fixture? If the problem follows the board you know that this is where the issue lies.

It it does not, it could possibly be the PSB or the transformer. If you have all good voltage indicators on the PSB it is not the transformer.

Make sense?
  • Good call- I'll give it a whirl when I get some of my boards back from repair. I avoid playing swap that board from a fixture that works ... my lights are a little fragile ;-P
  • [quote=stephenwyker;39372]I avoid playing swap that board from a fixture that works ... my lights are a little fragile ;-P

I'm sure that they have only gotten worse with age;)

For Cybers, I would caution against swapping PSBs b/c they are more prone to blow another component if they have an issue.........with logic boards it is a different story and 99.9% of the time won't "hurt" something else if they are bad.
Related