Axon custom rack

Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
edited June 2009 in Axon
I am designing my own rack mount case for Axon along with its contents. I particulary want to keep eveything together in the case, (like Maxedia).

Now the idea includes the following..

2U rack mountable fan with LEDs
1U rack mountable screen and keyboard
3U Axon
2U custom config panel
2U fan
2U lockable drawer

Now I will explain this. The rack mountable screen and keyboard are basically the same as what ships with the maxedia. It folds together and goes into a 1U rack space. I have also seen it used with the MA VPU when I was in the MA office here in the UK. Something similar to this:

http://www.industrial-computer-enclosure.co.uk/sitegraphics/rack-mount-monitor.gif

Now the custom config panel... If you look on the front of the maxedia, all the connections are avaliable on the front aswell as the back. Connections such as DMX in/out and GUI/effects engine output. Basically, I want to make a 2U blank panel into one of these panels. I have seen similar things done in the sound world... just wondering whether any of you have something like that with your Axon servers. I am also wieghing up the pros/cons of paying extra for a shock proof case rather than a standard rack case...

If you have any pictures of your Axon rack, I would appriciate it if you posted them so I can see what your setups are like. Thanks,

Comments

• FxDrewFxDrew Registered User
    edited June 2009
    If you would search the forums for Axon Racks, you would find:

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=3219&highlight=axon+rack

http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5076&highlight=axon+rack

Both have pictures of Axon Server racks in them.

Cheers,
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for that. It is known by 1 or 2 of the admins that my search function seems to have trouble. I didnt come up with anything when I did it so thanks.

Regards,
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Wierd,
    I tried that search several times, and didn't have much problem finding those threads.
    Maybe its only a problem on your side of the pond...:D

Joshua Wood
    edited June 2009
    :D I spoke to Chris about it and we think it comes down to the worda and order I put them in. But sometimes it even fails to find "Hog"...

Regards,
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited June 2009
    For making a custom control panel, Check out the Middle atlantic "UCP SERIES CUSTOM PANEL SYSTEM" in the link below. It is a frame that multiple plates screw into allowing you to do many combinations of different connectors and such including power. They are also very economical. Unless you wanted to make an actual custom panel which will cost you a good amount.

http://www.middleatlantic.com/rackac/main.htm
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for that Ryan. What I mean by "custom", is that I make a panel with all the connections on it that is wired up to the back of the Axon, in a non-permanent type fashion. This way I can have the connectors available on the front of the case for easier access when necessary. Like the Maxedia. But when I don’t need this, I can unplug the panel from the back of the Axon and use the connectors on the back of the server.

I hope that makes sense!
    edited June 2009
    Yea I understand.. You can do that if you would like. Well some of the connectors only come with solder points on the back, but you can put a short cable and connector on it to land in the back of the server. Some of the connectors available now such as USB and Firewire even have passthrough jacks so you can just use an off the shelf low cost cable to go from the connector to the server and then you have a nice little panel.
    edited June 2009
    That could work. I am going to tell TMB what I want and use the Maxedia as the example, then see how much they are going to charge and see if it would be what I want.

Thanks,
    edited June 2009
    I am sure they can do it, but will charge you a ton! You could also check out like markertek.. they have a custom division that will do just about anything.
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Ryan.
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited June 2009
    >But sometimes it even fails to find "Hog"...

Search terms that are 3 characters or less are silently ignored. Try searching for DMX and you get nothing... Not sure if it's a bug or a mis-feature.
    edited June 2009
    So there is a minimum character allowance... Hmm. I think I will suggest on the vBulletin for a feature that allows an administrator to enable/disable certain words from being entered into the search function. In this case, allow Hog but disable DMX as DMX would be too common.

Regards,
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2009
    A few tips,
    leave a few blank spaces in the front and back of your rack.
    Don't use TMB uk for the panel.
    If your getting a KVM or keyboard/monitor think about the overall weight.
    Getting locking Castor's.
    Get it shock mounted.
    Think about mains conditioning perhaps a cheap furman unit.
    Work out what connectors you need DVI comes in many flavours.

Best C
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Cormac. A few of those are already on the list. Did you not get yours from TMB? :Eyecrazy:

Regards,
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2009
    yes i did get mine from TMB.

C