H3 Desktop Crash

stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
Just updated to 3.05 on my H3, middle of a show, touched the screen and BAM lost the desktop.

2 Questions:

When I have a desktop crash, how do I get it back or do a quick restart, what keys are there. The backup UPS kept me running when I wanted to reboot the machine. So is there a reboot sequence and also a relaunch of the desktop. Also how do you reboot a DP2000 that hard locks. Are there some command keys to do this on both the console and the DP.

Also after the crash, I cannot delete any files. I am guessing that the crash scrambles some permissions. ANy fix on this. I cannot rename etc.

I have both a Wholehog 3 and an iPC so I would love to know how.

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Can you press [Pig] [Open] [Backspace]?

Regards,
  • jhillenkotterjhillenkotter Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Peter, you can restart the desktop by pressing PIG + OPEN + BACKSPACE which opens the Launched Processes window. If it's just the desktop which crashed it will show "Not responding". Simply click on desktop, hit the right mouse button and choose Restart Desktop. But as you mention that your DP2000 also locked up it is more likely that also another process crashed. Is the DP still in lock up state when removing and reconnecting power?

Regards,
    Jens
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Peter,

There is a known bug on the Wholehog 3 console where some show files can not be deleted or renamed. This has been around for a while, and although you can not delete the show files, this does not present any further problems. If you want to remove the show files, then you need to format the hard drive using a full install .iso image. Remember this will erase ALL shows on the drive, so be sure to backup the ones you want/need.

In regards to the crash you expereinced, do you know exactly what you pressed when this happened? Can you send us your show file at http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
  • stagelitesstagelites Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    A unplug/re-plug will reset the DP-2000. Just wondered if there was a way to do it from the front panel, as it is a pain to get behind the rack.

This crash was on the H3. PI-OPEN-BACKSPACE where I assume BACKSPACE is the back arrow button the numeric part of the console panel, did not work.

Is there a way to reboot the console from the panel.

I will be sending the show file in later today.
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited June 2009
    The sequence brings up a window, or it should, where it has all the processes of the console running. Think about it as similar to the CNTL ALT DEL on a windows machine. It brings up the process window, and then you can access it.

Anyway, with the process window up, you right click on the process labeled "desktop" and it brings up options for resetting the desktop. However, there is no hard reset button on the Hog 3.
    edited June 2009
    Well, it did it again. This time, console was unbelieveably sluggish, non-responsive. Touched a button and again the desktop went down. PIG-OPEN-BS does not work. Touchscreen works, as I can move the X around, but that is it. Trackball does not work when the crash happens also.

2nd time in three days this has happened.

Console is only about 6 months old.
  • J CriminsJ Crimins Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Peter,
    I'd take a close look at the network--both the hardware and the software settings. Almost all of my recent crashes have been caused by either ip address conflicts or a bad piece of kit like an ethernet switch or cable.
    If you're running the server in DHCP mode, make sure the DP2000 has its DHCP box checked. If you're using fixed addresses, confirm no two pieces of gear, including any routers, share the same address.
    -JC
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Peter,

can you please send us a show file at http://upload.highend.com and also let us know what you were doing at the time of the crash? Crashes during playback are very rare so we are curious to see what is going on with your show/console. Also please let us know what you system setup is (console, DPs, external devices, network)

thanks,
  • stephenwykerstephenwyker Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    I agree with Brad. For the longest time I was having random crashes, even with new show files; I come to find out that I was merging in the same 5 cuelists from old show files, with the same corrupted data, and it was one cue on one list that was fired from a comment macro that screwed me everytime.
    edited July 2009
    Well, it happened again last night. We programmed all day-no problems.

Came time to start the show, and crash again. This time we only pressed the pig key. The displays were off and never came on.

I already sent the show file. Here is the setup

1-WH3
    2 DP-2000
    2-Playback wings
    1 USB Keyboard
    1 Logitech Trackball mouse.
    1 3COM commercial rackmount switch
    3.05 software version
    2 external monitors
    iMac running WSYWIG & Bootcamp (Off at the time of the crash)

Hog is sending out DHCP.

Have changed cables. Moved the ports, still crashes.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2009
    just wondering is it nessesary to have so many external devices connected to your console during playback of a show?
    Could you do without the mouse,keyboard and disconnect the imac with wyg completley?

It will narrow down what the issue is...

Best C
    edited July 2009
    And if for some strange reason you DO need the keyboard for typing... mid show... then use the internal?

Regards,
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited July 2009
    stagelites wrote: »
    Well, it happened again last night. We programmed all day-no problems.

Came time to start the show, and crash again. This time we only pressed the pig key. The displays were off and never came on.

I already sent the show file. Here is the setup

1-WH3
    2 DP-2000
    2-Playback wings
    1 USB Keyboard
    1 Logitech Trackball mouse.
    1 3COM commercial rackmount switch
    3.05 software version
    2 external monitors
    iMac running WSYWIG & Bootcamp (Off at the time of the crash)

Hog is sending out DHCP.

Have changed cables. Moved the ports, still crashes.

To me at least...it almost sounds like it's a networking issue. If the console was working fine with everything on, then the console went to sleep...you hit the PIG button to bring things back to life and got the crash. It sounds very much, to me at least, that there is something in the background that is causing a network crash upon wake up.

I know you have the Hog sending out DHCP, but what is the IP of the SWITCH?
    What is the range that the Hog is sending out?
    Was the Mac still CONNECTED to the network and just "sleeping" or was the entire computer off?
    What are the IPs of the DP2000's?

Just some thoughts.
    edited July 2009
    iMac was off. Not asleep.

Need the playback wings. And I did have the crash when the kbd and mouse were disconnected.

Address range is the standard range that the hog usually puts out.

Do not now the ip of the switch, it is unmanaged.

When I usually crash, I still have the X WIndows system of linux, just nothing else.
    edited July 2009
    stagelites wrote: »
    Do not now the ip of the switch, it is unmanaged.

In a show situation... I would ALWAYS manage a switch that is the backbone of the network...

Regards,
  • edited July 2009
    > I would ALWAYS manage a switch that is the backbone of the network.

For lighting networks, managed switches frequently cause as many problems as they solve. The default configuration on many managed switches doesn't work well for Hog-Net or Art-Net.

If you plan on using a managed switch, you must make sure that Spanning Tree and IGMP snooping are configured properly. There can also be problems with broadcast rate limiting and various other switch-specific issues.

The more features a switch has, the more time you must spend configuring it. These features are important to have if you're building a theme park, but for simple control networks, they just get in the way.
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited July 2009
    For my normal everyday use I have the Luminex switches (which are essentially DLink boards I believe). They are still doing their thing without issues and have survived all sorts of transportation, harsh working environments and extreme temperatures since my purchase in 2005. They are plug and play and totally unmanaged.

Ross
    edited July 2009
    Thanks all for your help in fixing the problem. It seems to be the switch. Changed to a gigabit netgear switch, and so far, seems to be working.