Jands Event 408 Anyone used one? Any good?

stairrestairre Registered User
edited November 2012 in Misc. Discussion
I need a new controller and I have access to a Jands Event 408 possibly. Has anyone used one of these? I have been using the NSI MLC 16 for some moving lights and have outgrown the controller. I'll be using it to control the following (mostly Martin sadly, but all I could find for the budget I have!):
4 Martin Roboscan Pro 918
4 Martin Roboscan Pro 518
4 Chauvet COLORado 1
4 Elation CMY Zoom 250
(4 HES Emulators... but obviously I won't be using the new board with those!)

I am adding some strobes and perhaps a few more things and am out of room for individual control. I'd love a Hog 500 or 1000 but just can't afford it right now.

Any insight would be great!

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    stairre wrote: »
    I'd love a Hog 500 or 1000 but just can't afford it right now.

Why dont you look at a widget and an extra screen for your computer and run either H2PC or H3PC? That way you can have Hog control for a smaller price and the option for future upgrade..

Best Regards,
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited June 2009
    stairre wrote: »
    I need a new controller and I have access to a Jands Event 408 possibly. Has anyone used one of these? I have been using the NSI MLC 16 for some moving lights and have outgrown the controller. I'll be using it to control the following (mostly Martin sadly, but all I could find for the budget I have!):
    4 Martin Roboscan Pro 918
    4 Martin Roboscan Pro 518
    4 Chauvet COLORado 1
    4 Elation CMY Zoom 250
    (4 HES Emulators... but obviously I won't be using the new board with those!)

I am adding some strobes and perhaps a few more things and am out of room for individual control. I'd love a Hog 500 or 1000 but just can't afford it right now.

Any insight would be great!

What budget are you on? A nice Hog 500 or 1000 at a good price is not that hard to come by these days . . . . .

- Tim
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited June 2009
    if you get this one, you have a touchscreen, 4 universes output, and also fader playback !!

http://www.grace-audio.com/site/product/?id=3464
  • dcaudiovisualdcaudiovisual Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I'm a Jands operator, and i find the Event 416 is a great, simple, quick and easy desk to use. i Would have no hesitation in recommending that you purchase it. It has the capabilities for you to easily control your lighting system. :)

Darcy.
    Audio Visual Technician.
    www.dcaudiovisual.com
  • bassmanbassman Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Well start with WH/500 , and it will open doors to the rest of Whogs ,ore like Joe B said , get Dongle and extra screen ,and run either H2PC or H3PC.
    Greatings .
  • SHOWGUNSHOWGUN Registered User
    edited August 2009
    To me it sounds like A dongle is the way to go with your set-up.

Hope this helps!
  • FranklightsFranklights Registered User
    edited September 2009
    I agree on the dongle. works great, extremely portable and upgradeable.
  • MALTYKIAMALTYKIA Registered User
    edited February 2012
    Hello
    I am so pleased I have read this as I have been pulling my hair out and had abuse off other sites just because I am NOT in the KNOW
    I bought 2 Roboscan pro 918s off Ebay they are immaculate I have run the demo mode and al is fine n dandy
    BUT
    I bought a EUROLIGHT 1224 to control them but it never worked
    so on reading this I thought COOOL
    No can I have a re-cap on exactly what I will need to run them?
    cheers guys !!
    edited February 2012
    Your problem is the Eurolight. I have several clients that have had that board and the DMX output is just not right. You will need a hog DMX dongle a computer and some DMX cable. That's it.
    edited February 2012
    FRANKLIGHTS...thats great for the reply
    Can you be a bit more specific tho??

hog dmx dongle??? (sorry whats that??)

I have the laptop and miles of cable ..lol
    edited February 2012
    FRANKLIGHTS...thats great for the reply :)
    Can you be a bit more specific tho??

hog dmx dongle??? (sorry whats that??):dunno:

I have the laptop and miles of cable ..lol:aargh4:
  • whitleyrichardwhitleyrichard Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2012
    hog dmx dongle is also called a widget.. you can buy one new or used practically anywhere.. then all you would need to do is download the Hog2 PC or Hog3 PC program to your computer from the high end/flying pig website.. i use the Hog3 PC program and just bought a new widget and couldnt be happier with my setup
    edited February 2012
    http://www.highend.com/products/controllers/usbdmxwidget.asp

This is all you need for a basic system. you have the computer, DMX cable and lights. You will have to check with your local high end dealer for purchase. As Richard mentioned, you can also find used ones...
  • RonanopolisRonanopolis Registered User
    edited March 2012
    I'd have to go for a dongle as well
  • RonanopolisRonanopolis Registered User
    edited March 2012
    I'd go for a new one though
    edited March 2012
    I am now totally LOST !!
  • TimMillerTimMiller Registered User
    edited November 2012
    On highends website you can download the computer software for free. You can run hog2, 3, and 4 software. The widget or "dongle" converts your computers USB port into a dmx port. Here is the product line for highends hog pc systems.http://www.highend.com/products/controllers/Hog4pc.asp
    All you really need to start out with is the basic widget which gives you a full dmx universe. http://www.highend.com/products/controllers/usbdmxwidget.asp