Palettes and Changing Instrument Numbering

:dunce:Okay this might be a basic question but I really would like to know before I decide to go forward with it with my upcoming shows because I haven't done it yet on the Hog3OS.

I want to make a master palette template, if you will, for our Elation DS 1400E wash and spots and our Elation DS 250 wash and spots. I have already made plenty color, beam, and position palettes for a show where we used a couple of them.

My question is will those palettes stay active if I use the show file for a different show and add or subtract fixtures out of the patch and change unit numbers and/or addresses if I have to?:poke:
  • This will depend on how you recorded the original palettes. In short, if the fixture has the parameter that the palette is holding, then it shouldnt have a problem applying the palette. If you recorded a colour palette as "global" then when you apply the colour palette to a fixture with HSI, then the fixture should have no problem outputting those parameters providing it has HSI abilities.

The way I would go about this would be to make sure all the palettes are recored as "global". If for example the palettes were recorded as "per fixture", you will not be able to apply the palette to other fixtures. This also goes for "per fixture type". If you set all of your Elation DS 1400E wash fixtures at 100% and recorded this to intensity palette 1, and the palette is "per fixture type"; you will not be able to apply this to a selection of your 250 versions.

So all in all, the fixture numbering and DMX addressing should not affect the palettes. Applying the palette is the key part. Say you have fixtures 1-10 as Elation DS 1400E spots and did the following... [Fixture] [1] [thru] [10] [intensity] [1] [enter]. That would apply intensity palette 1 (that I used as an example earlier) to the fixtures. However in your previous showfile, these fixtures could have been 11-20. Changing the user number wont matter providing that the palette was recorded as "per fixture type" or "global". However it is a different issue with groups...

I hope that makes sense to you and if I am wrong, somebody please feel free to correct me.
Related