hog 2 installation

justinpmajustinpma Registered User
hi all

I've got whole hog 2 with me
when I boot up it go straight into the 1,clean show 2, old show 3, load new software.

i don't know what happen but now it doesn't boot up normal anymore.

so I've download the latest version and unzip it into 2 diskette

so I attempt to load in a new sotware.
but it kept showing
'Loading....
Disk or program not found'

So I though I might have a bad floppy drive so I change another A Drive.
But still get the same result.

Please help~~~

What are the possibilities for the board to act like this?
I'm pretty sure the diskette are fine since they're new

Comments

• rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    Obvious I know but you don’t have a key stuck down by any chance on the desk or externally connected keyboard?
    Ross
  • justinpmajustinpma Registered User
    edited June 2009
    yeah, the key is fine.
    pressing number and the enter button work just normal.

I just notice that file name I have download for disk 1 & 2 looks different, think I've got a corrupted download.

I'll try it again.

thank you
  • MitchMitch Registered User, HES Staff
    edited June 2009
    Hello, first you download the file from the web site onto your PC. You unzip this file again onto your PC. This will give you two files called DISC 1 and DISC 2 and they should be on your pc, not on floppy discs.
    Unzip each of these files onto the two floppy discs. The file on the floppy will be .bin files.
    edited June 2009
    hi Mitch
    I've got the .bin and now it shows disk unreadable
    Also I heard the floppy drive rang twice then show the unreadable.
    oh yeah I forgot to note that
    when I tried 1,clean show
    it says something like program corrupted memory
    edited June 2009
    i change another disk
    now i'm able to see some difference
    it work and load till 100%
    but in the end it says
    100% cimpleted
    Program corrupted
    Load program failed
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Could there be a hardware problem (maybe the ROM) preventing the complete upload and booting of the software?

Regards,
    edited June 2009
    That is possble
    however I would like to narrow down the problem to find out which is actually causing it
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I have seen similar problems with a failing floppy disk drive.
    these drives are very cheap from your local computer store, or the internet.
    I would try replacing it and see if it helps.
    Good luck,
    Joshua Wood
    edited June 2009
    I'll try that in awhile.
    thank you
    edited June 2009
    But I have been thinking this 'program memory corrupted' has to do eith internal memory failure and not the floppy
    afterall I did get the disk loading to 100%
    Just it end up showing corrupted again
    edited June 2009
    I just tried with the another floppy drive.
    same as before
    load 100%
    program failed
    program memory corrupt
    edited June 2009
    It is possible the console has one or more bad memory chips, or possibly damaged traces on the processor pcb causing the problems.
    edited June 2009
    Is it possible to change the whole pcb myself?
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited June 2009
    justinpma;39070 said:
    Is it possible to change the whole pcb myself?
    Since it appears to run OK otherwise, myself I would look to change the memory chips, at least if they are socketed, first. Or, try swapping them around and see if the problem changes nature . . . . . if so, it would confirm that they are the problem.

Unless the console has had something spilled into it, or been in very bad environmental conditions, I would think it highly unlikely that anything would have failed in terms of pcb traces . . . . that just doesn't happen typically without mechanical intervention, corrosive substances, etc.

- Tim
    edited June 2009
    for this case I'm not very sure,
    all I can say is that the console haven't been bootup for close to 10 years.
    no idea what the reason is, now I got hold of the console
    and would like to return it back into working condition.
    I would guess one through moisture environment in the basement, that's the weather around here.

as for swapping the memory, I would do that if it is not solder.

I also check lightparts.com and there's no sale of memory instead of the pcb.
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Hmmm . . . . . 10 years of no use . . . . .

While it shouldn't present any problem, you might want to check the backup battery. I have seen some gear get a little nutty when the battery was completely dead or "on the edge" . . . .

Other than that, the only other things that go with age are connectors can oxidize (unplug and reseat them) and electrolytic caps can lose capacitance or short, but since it powers up OK, not sure that is a contender - most 'lytics in a Hog should be on the power supply, and if they hard fail, you usually pop a fuse or get smoke . . . .

- Tim
    edited June 2009
    I'm not sure for the reason it slept for 10 years, but last I heard there's something wrong that it cannot work anymore. Seeing it as a waste so I took it over.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Joe Bleasdale;39075 said:
    Has the desk been in any cases where the heat enviroment has been above normal? May be a bad example... But the reason I ask is that with Xbox 360 consoles, if you play them for a prolonged amount of time, there is a PCB in thier rear panel which was badly designed by microsoft and playing with no booster fan on the back (thats where the PCB is) will melt the solder. Subsequently, the Xbox has to be sent back to be re-soldered. Maybe there could be a similar case with this Hog 2?

Regards,
    Joe,

While the XBOX 360 might have this problem, this has never been a concern with any Wholehog 2 console. Please do not compare one company's mistakes to a situation that you know nothing about. Wholehog 2's have been used in very hot outdoor environments since they were developed and I am unaware of any console ever having melted solder.

thanks,
    edited June 2009
    Above Tim mentions the battery. We have seen batteries that weren't changed start to leak and cause corrosion to build on the traces of the PCB. The corrosion can damage the traces. This is very possible in a console that has been sitting for years.

You asked about the processor pcb, it is not available any longer.
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    There is a UK based repair service for this generation of console which would be my next port of call. I'm sure High End Systems can put you touch through their technical support channels.

Ross