Anyone know how to remove a hammer from a Roadhog??

Ive just aout had enough of my road hog!

On various occasions i have had the desk crash just before doors, usually when trying to do something VERY simple, then a few weeks ago for NO known reason WHATSOEVER the desk came up with a memory error and went blue screen on the right hand screen, the desk had been sat dormant for about an hour whilst i waited for guests to start to enter and as if it knew they were entering it crashed, i was also led to beleive its not the first time the desk has done something similar in the past few weeks.

It i running image 1.1.5 and software 3.0.2 ( b 2425 )

This is not the first problem ive had with thte desk, including various strange occurances when using RGB LED fixtures where the desk struggles to clear the cuelist thus requiring a restart, im almost at the point now where i pretty much backup and do a restart before most shows to ensure it doesnt freeze

Surely this shouldnt be the case with an expensive piece of kit, even if it is the "entry level" desk.

Finally im also disheartened by the way HES are with some requests ect, always seems a long wait until anything is implemented, i also feel very disappointed how they kept the RH full boar so quiet up until the release date thus meaning i have a desk with no networking and no function to remote focus but thats a whole nother kettle of fish!

The desk may be going on EBAY very soon!!!!!!!!!

Mike
  • If you first update to xpe 1.3.0 and run version 3.0.4 you might get rid of some bugs. it's a good desk, but you have to keep up with updates.

Shouting at HES is impropriate if you don't use the updates they make: they don't spend hours of writing updates to make the software worse!!
  • Mike,
    Problem is the software.....You gave update to 3.0.3 (Why??) The latest version 3.0.4 is not quit right. Some bugs don't let you dellete items, and the consolle give's often a faillure. Second problem is the intern battery(consolles nearly two years of age), you have to replace the batterycell by a service center. In Holland it's "Engine" and is a department of Flashlight. Hopefuly your getting well.
    Peter.
  • I certainly would not rule out a hardware fault. If I were in your situation I'd be checking all the connectors are located properly, that the hard disk is not damaged etc.

Frustrating as they are, most software issues are well documented now, however it does appear you are experiencing more issues than would be expected.

I use one of the family of consoles most days of the week and on a variety of shows and fixtures (by this I mean I'm not out on the road with the same show). Yes I have run into issues, some of which have driven me up the wall, some of which have required a restart, but in all honesty these are now few and far between. If at all they have a tendency to be during heavy programming sessions, and do not affect the playback of shows, at least in my experience.

As you can see from the release notes, each update is recommended and fixes some of the known issues, so it’s well worth upgrading to the latest version. Each release goes through a comprehensive testing cycle so there should be no concerns about upgrading. This is not true of all manufactures; I remember upgrading another console just before a show to discover the only language supported on the new build was German!

I do sympathise with your sentiments regarding the release of the Fullboar, however to be fair to High End the original Roadhog was and still is an extremely competitively priced console, aimed as I understand things at the Hog 500 end of the market. It never promised anything other than what it delivers in specifications. Thus if you were happy with the price and it did what you needed, you made a good purchase. I think one of the problems is the fact the Roadhog looks so similar to the Fullboar, but they are completely different consoles in the same way the Hog 500 and Hog 1000 were. Turning this around the other way how would you feel if you had paid out for a Fullboar and High End subsequently released the Roadhog at almost half the price which happened to do everything you needed? At least the console releases are few and far between. Can you imagine if they adopted an Apple style approach where every 12 months the console was updated with twice the capabilities but at the same price as of the previous year’s model?

It’s not nice to hear of anyone having problems, especially those which affect shows. We’ve all been in this situation so I know how it feels. I have however had very good technical support at all levels from High End and strongly recommend you double check there is nothing failing hardware wise with your console at the earliest opportunity.

Regards,

Ross
  • Ross,

I agree with the shouldnt rant if i dont keep up to date, was a very heat of the moment message as i was experiencing issues with the desk whilst on site.

As for keeping updated, at the moment im constantly on the road and struggle to find any time where i could run an update, the lack of faith in the desk makes me not want to do an update on the road in case i experience problems,

Im going to talk to HES next week to organise sending the desk in for service

Regards

Mike
  • Another show. another crash

This time i got a caution triangle next to the clock where the dp sign is???

Also, why are the desk lights so bad, the connection between the removable end and the stalk alway causes issues!

Mike
  • Sorry to hear we are not the only ones. We have had the the same numerous problems with no help or resolution from HES. I was hoping to find some answers here.
  • pipsqwack,

Please email me directly at brad.schiller@barco.com and let me know what problems you are having. I am also curious to know who/where you have contacted us with no help or resolution. We always do our best to help our customers with any problem they may have.

thanks,
Related