Anyone know how to remove a hammer from a wholehog??

Ive just aout had enough of my road hog!

On various occasions i have had the desk crash just before doors, usually when trying to do something VERY simple, then a few weeks ago for NO known reason WHATSOEVER the desk came up with a memory error and went blue screen on the right hand screen, the desk had been sat dormant for about an hour whilst i waited for guests to start to enter and as if it knew they were entering it crashed, i was also led to beleive its not the first time the desk has done something similar in the past few weeks.

It i running image 1.1.5 and software 3.0.2 ( b 2425 )

This is not the first problem ive had with thte desk, including various strange occurances when using RGB LED fixtures where the desk struggles to clear the cuelist thus requiring a restart, im almost at the point now where i pretty much backup and do a restart before most shows to ensure it doesnt freeze

Surely this shouldnt be the case with an expensive piece of kit, even if it is the "entry level" desk.

Finally im also disheartened by the way HES are with some requests ect, always seems a long wait until anything is implemented, i also feel very disappointed how they kept the RH full boar so quiet up until the release date thus meaning i have a desk with no networking and no function to remote focus but thats a whole nother kettle of fish!

The desk may be going on EBAY very soon!!!!!!!!!

Mike
  • Hi Mike,

[quote=nunny;38916]Ive just aout had enough of my road hog!

On various occasions i have had the desk crash just before doors, usually when trying to do something VERY simple, then a few weeks ago for NO known reason WHATSOEVER the desk came up with a memory error and went blue screen on the right hand screen, the desk had been sat dormant for about an hour whilst i waited for guests to start to enter and as if it knew they were entering it crashed, i was also led to beleive its not the first time the desk has done something similar in the past few weeks.

I heard of a guy who this happened to last week. Sounds very very similar. Which USB devices are connected to the desk? I also heard on a different forum that badly seated RAM can cuase this.

[quote=nunny;38916]

May be worth upgrading the software. I am not sure whether anything has changed in the releases, but its worth a shot, surly? The current image is 1.3.0 and can be downloaded here: www.flyingpig.com/support/RoadHogDownloads.shtml

[quote=nunny;38916]
    Surely this shouldnt be the case with an expensive piece of kit, even if it is the "entry level" desk.

I will agree on that note. However, HES do have support contacts. Have you tried giving Jens a call?

Best Regards,
  • It also appears that the forum has posted your thread twice...

Regards,
  • Nunny...

We own 2 Roadhogs and a full H3 on our campus and we have never had any of the issues that you are describing. Not to say they aren't happening to you...but they don't happen everywhere.

What do you have connected to the console?
    Any USB devices?
    External Monitor?
    What's your fixture count? How many? What type?

Just want to help you get some confidence in the console. I would definitely suggest getting on the current image and software as soon as you can.

As far as the statement of getting things implemented...what exactly are you looking to get implemented? What are YOUR priorities as to what should be added?

Just trying to get more input from you...and help you figure out what's going on with your console.
  • I realise i posted twice, apologies, on a USB dongle and the connection dropped or so i thought,

As for what is connected, there is no periphials at all connected, not even a keyboard, i just tend to use the internal keyboard unless running anything big

When the problem has occured i have been mainly running approx 12-20 small moving lights mainly Martin Mac 250 Krypton, approx 30 + RGB chroma q colorblock db4 and up to 36 generic dim channels.

I have had the machine open to see everything is seated correct as a freelancer had the desk when it last failed and posted on Blueroom, the main feeling was badly seated ram.

I spoke to Chris Ferranti a long time ago regarding making the option of setting different colour fonts and images on the desk to help ease of identyfying fixtures / areas, he said it was something relatively simple to acheive and he would log a request, that is just one small thing that i have read a lot of people want, i apreciate HES are concentrating on the bigger things people require but surely there is space to implement the smaller things that would make it that bit easier to run.

Going back to the thread of being able to upgrade the RH to allow networking or some way of remote focus i felt the general feeling was just to sell the desk and buy a new RHFB, easier said than done when it took me so long to get the funds released to buy a Rh! Rant over back on topic.

I would love to have faith in the machine, just seems always to cause me issues, a few months back i was running a very important show for Diana Ross and had a playback wing attached, the wing kept freezing after approx 40 mins, not sure whether that was wing issue or desk but another confidence knocking situation!

I dont want to feel on the seat of my pants everytime a show is running as to whether it is going to trip over or play good!

Mike
  • [quote=nunny;38921]
    I have had the machine open to see everything is seated correct as a freelancer had the desk when it last failed and posted on Blueroom, the main feeling was badly seated ram.

Ahh I PM'd him and suggested a few things aswell as pointed him to the topics on here. Maybe this could be a hardware related issue with your particular desk. I would organise a date for a service with Mark Leahy.

Best Regards,
  • You raise several different issues, but the one that concerns me the most is the blue screen. This is almost certainly a hardware problem, and it will likely get worse if it's not addressed. In some cases, reseating the memory will fix the problem, especially if the console has been on the road a lot. But if it's still occuring, then the problem lies elsewhere and needs to be addressed.

Make sure all of the cooling fans are un-obstructed and running properly. A semi-common problem in some early Road Hogs is that a cable harness feeding the LCD assembly will move slightly and block the CPU fan. If everything looks OK internally, then give service a call and they can help you work through other possibilities. The problem is unlikely to go away on its own.

If you look over the past software releases, you'll see lots of features that were added based on user requests. Some get added in short order, others take longer. But no one should have told to you that reworking the UI to support custom fonts, colors, and images was "simple to achieve." If you were told that, I'm sorry. It's inaccurate.

Could you please describe the problems you had with the RGB fixtures in more detail? How did it happen, and what were the symptoms? Were you running them as HTP faders? If you have the showfile and a way to reproduce the problem, then please send those to us so our test lab can take a look at it.
  • Mike,

Please email me directly at brad.schiller@barco.com with your contact details and I will ensure that a member of our support team contacts you ASAP. Your problems are likely due to hardware and we can better troubleshoot with direct contact.

thanks,
  • [quote=nunny;38916]Ive just aout had enough of my road hog!

This is not the first problem ive had with thte desk, including various strange occurances when using RGB LED fixtures where the desk struggles to clear the cuelist thus requiring a restart, im almost at the point now where i pretty much backup and do a restart before most shows to ensure it doesnt freeze

Finally im also disheartened by the way HES are with some requests ect, always seems a long wait until anything is implemented, i also feel very disappointed how they kept the RH full boar so quiet up until the release date thus meaning i have a desk with no networking and no function to remote focus but thats a whole nother kettle of fish!

The desk may be going on EBAY very soon!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    i also have problems with few of ours units(full board.road hog.whole hog 3)whole hog3 give me the biggest problem.for me it's seems to be problem with some utility program that can not be solve right now.

unfortunately i solve this with restart mixer and do everything slowly.

sorry for not solving problem but we need to manage it as they are in a few minutes(just now i'm working on grandma and full board alternating in world dart championship )
    i don't have much time to be on forum because i work all the time
    but from now on i will be as much i can
    only thing that held me is that in a few hours on stage will be 4finity.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/topless-russian-dj-mari-ferrari-fakes-it/
    regards all people
Related