Gobos and Smooth Transitions Again

Hey All,

I know that this has been talked about in the forums already but from what I was reading it was very unorganized and I don't think I saw a solid answer. I am currently working with some Elation Design Spot 250s for a small show and, go figure, am trying to make one gobo slowly transition to the gobo 2 slots away from it in 5 seconds. Can anyone give me a hint? Did we come to the conclusion that depending on the manufacture some fixtures don't have a "slow index roll" because of the designs of their gears?:blackeye:
  • Correct....the H3 software does allow for this as long as the actual fixture firmware also allows the capability to do so......it would not be a surprise to me at all if this was not possible with Elation fixtures.

Hope this helps. :)
  • Yeah Elation fixtures are kind of "interesting" sometimes. I will have to look up the manual.

But lets say that they will allow it, what is the proper process and syntax in the HogOS that allows me to perform this action?
  • Well the majority of slotted parameters have a default path of "start". To do what you describe you need to go into edit fixtures and change it to "linear". That will only work if the fixture manufacturer allows it. As crossfading motors often burns them out.

Regards,
  • Yeah I gave that a try and basically it snaps to the next gobo in line, waits and snaps to the next while perserving the time of 5 seconds. I am assuming that the Elations can not do this. We also have the Elation Spot 1400E, I am gonna looking into this and if they don't do a slow indexing then we might have to sell them all. They were bought before I came here.
  • [quote=Joe Bleasdale;38901] As crossfading motors often burns them out.

Joe,

To clarify the reason that many slotted parameter are prohibited from crossfading is not due to the motors burning out. It is actually because many wheels (particularly rotating gobos) do not handle the heat well when left in the path of the light. When you have crossfade control, this means that the user can stop the wheel at any point via DMX. This can result in the metal being in the path of the light and will either warp the metal wheel, heat the grease for gears, heat the gears, or crack dichrohics.

For these reasons, many manufacturers do not allow wheels to be continuously controlled via DMX. Usually however there is some sort of speed control where you can tell the fixture the speed at which to change from one slot to another (Mspeed in HES fixtures). This allows the user to control the speed of changes, yet not park the wheel in non-desirable locations.
  • [quote=bradpepe;38905]Joe,

To clarify the reason that many slotted parameter are prohibited from crossfading is not due to the motors burning out. It is actually because many wheels (particularly rotating gobos) do not handle the heat well when left in the path of the light. When you have crossfade control, this means that the user can stop the wheel at any point via DMX. This can result in the metal being in the path of the light and will either warp the metal wheel, heat the grease for gears, heat the gears, or crack dichrohics.

For these reasons, many manufacturers do not allow wheels to be continuously controlled via DMX. Usually however there is some sort of speed control where you can tell the fixture the speed at which to change from one slot to another (Mspeed in HES fixtures). This allows the user to control the speed of changes, yet not park the wheel in non-desirable locations.

Thanks for that Brad. I was told a year or so ago by a former member of the Martin service dept that it really screwed up the motors inside the fixture. So I went of the fact that it was the main issue. But thanks for the insight.

Regards,
  • [quote=VinceHollywood;38902]Yeah I gave that a try and basically it snaps to the next gobo in line, waits and snaps to the next while perserving the time of 5 seconds. I am assuming that the Elations can not do this. We also have the Elation Spot 1400E, I am gonna looking into this and if they don't do a slow indexing then we might have to sell them all. They were bought before I came here.

Vince,

I have had a look at the protocols for both the Elation products you mention and all their wheels are "indexed" only. This means that the fixtures will not allow you to crossfade or even use a speed channel to change from one slot to another in time. Your fixtures are made to only SNAP from one slot to another.
  • Thanks Brad,

I looked into it to and that is what I found out, its good to hear a direct answer from you though as well. The fact that some fixtures don't come with crossfade control over their gobos kind of blows my mind. I understand what you mean about the heat of the light weaking the areas around the wheel area but I think all lighting fixtures should come with a speed control for slow movement to each gobo.

While working for Celebrity Cruises Lines I loved working with the Cyberlights for the plan fact that I could control the speed of their gobos. It added a whole other design factor to the shows I made. Now with these Elation fixtures that design factor has been stripped away from me.:mad:
Related