(b2468) - Networking question

jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
Hog 3
Hog 3 Exp Wing
Hog 3 Playback Wing
1 DP8000
1 DP2000 (Artnet Mode)
1 Hog3PC (Macbook Pro via Parallels Windows XP)

Has anyone had any issues with connecting a second console on a network? I had just upgraded to b2468 and when I tried to log on today with my Hog3PC for remote focus, I was having strange issues.

I could connect to the show server on the main console without any issues. However, I could not CONTROL anything from the 3PC. It showed up in the main console as Console #2 (correct), it loaded all of my data from Console #1...playbacks, etc. (correct), but, if I pushed play on any of the faders, nothing would play. If I grabbed fixtures on the 3PC, they would show up in the programmer, but not in the output. However, if I grabbed fixtures on the console, those fixtures would show up in the output window of the 3PC. So...I know it was talking, but I could not control from the laptop.

This is the same setup I have been using for almost a year now and never had a problem before this last upgrade. (Wireless, laptop, software) Nothing has changed in either the Hog3 network or the laptop (no new software...) I'm still running my Windows XP (yes, it's in Parallels on a Mac).

Anyone else having any issues????

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    The only networking issues I have with b2468 was some glitches in the network. I had Light Converse and every so often I would get a small spike. I connected H3PC to an iPC as a client and could control everything fine.

Does indeed sound strange.. I assume a reboot didnt help the issue?
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    Yes Joe...I tried reboots of everything...the entire network, console, Mac, router...anything connected to the Hognet side.
    edited June 2009
    Hi Jon,

Is the issue 2-way? Is it happening with H3PC as the server? That may help to narrow it down..
    edited June 2009
    I'm not setup to change it right now. I'm prepping for service and cannot test that.
    edited June 2009
    Fair enough. May be worth a try when you get some spare time though.

Hope you get it sorted,
  • bellonsbellons Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited June 2009
    Hi Jon, why don't you try to run hog3pc under bootcamp if you have it installed and see if it makes any difference. It definitely sounds like a parallels issue to me.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Jon, I have never had good luck running hog3PC under OS emulation on a mac (Parallels/VMware). The only way to make it work on a mac is to actually boot into Windows via bootcamp.
    edited June 2009
    bellons;38784 said:
    Hi Jon, why don't you try to run hog3pc under bootcamp if you have it installed and see if it makes any difference. It definitely sounds like a parallels issue to me.
    Andris;38785 said:
    Jon, I have never had good luck running hog3PC under OS emulation on a mac (Parallels/VMware). The only way to make it work on a mac is to actually boot into Windows via bootcamp.

Maybe if one of your friends has a windows laptop, you should try it with that? :Eyecrazy: That way it would only be a short job and should narrow it do to whether the issue is in parallels or not.

Regards,
    edited June 2009
    I've done this for the last 2 year with Parallels with no issues whatsoever. I only use it as a remote focus and not for show situations. It only stopped working after I upgraded to b2468.

I tried under Bootcamp with the same problems so it's not an emulator issue.

I'm going to do further testing this week including rolling back one build to see if it returns.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I've had no such issues logging in clients in any recent build.....but all my machines are running XP or Vista.

I have seen some erratic unrepeatable behavior on wireless networks with cuelists releasing and faders in wrong positions, etc. but never no control.
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Marty...that's why it was so confusing. The fact that I connected to the show, could see the output change on the PC when running from the console...but no control at all from the PC.

I plan on doing a lot of testing tomorrow to see if I can replicate it and also if I can get it work by going back 1 build. Tons to look at....

J
    edited June 2009
    Thanks for the help everyone. It turns out to NOT be a Parallels issue, not a Bootcamp issue, not even a HOG issue.

Apparently, I hadn't noticed that our IT department had deployed a Symantec update and, even though I had it off before, set the corporate Anti-virus to auto-protect. Little icon in the bottom corner that I missed. So, even with the firewall off, the Symantec was causing the connection issues.

So......all is happy once again (as long as I watch for the icon in the corner!).
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    YAY! Now go slap those IT guys...:nono:
    edited June 2009
    No kidding Brad! Their little secret..."let's deploy this when no one knows" is just silly! At least tell us!!!
    edited June 2009
    That would not have happened with me. You cannot even gain wireless access to our school network. The passwords are saved on any laptops around school that need it and they are then encrypted to a silly sort of level!!

Regards,
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, I've very intentionally kept my lighting network separate from the in-house network and off the radar of our IT guys.
    edited June 2009
    My network is completely separate also...this stemmed from them sending out an update to all the company laptops as soon as they connected to the network. I only use my laptop for Remote Focus and not show situations.
    edited June 2009
    I see. It is fair enough if it was a company laptop...