Printing?

erockerock Registered User
How do you print from Hog3PC. I've searched the manual for this and the only reference is to a printer setup page in control panel which doesn't seem to be there. There's no reference to how to actually print?

Thanks
Eric

Comments

• but0017but0017 Registered User
    edited June 2009
    i know in patch, the print icon is along the top where all the other buttons are like fixture schedule and all the patch editing options. Although it doesnt show a printer it prints so what ever your default windows printer. the print icon is normally along the top task bar along with all other options. Hope this helps.
  • erockerock Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Of course, I don't know how I missed this. I was able to print out the cue list, but when I try to print out the contents of a cue list, Hog3PC keeps crashing. Does anyone know of a way around this?

Thanks
    Eric
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I have heard around the forum that printing is not exactly the most stable part of the O/S. Try HES support: support@flyingpig.com

Regards,
    edited June 2009
    Hi,

I've tried to print out the cue contents a variety of ways without any luck.

-From Hog3PC running as a server

-From Hog3PC running as a client

-From Hog3PC running as a client and only selecting one page to print.

My idea behind trying as a client was that it might take some load off of the server and possibly work. None of these work and each time the desktop crashed. In all of these cases, I was printing to a default printer which was Adobe PDF

I'd be very interested to know if anyone has had success printing out tracking cue contents. The list I'm trying to print is all desk channels, about 200 of them and has about 100 cues, so it's not that large relatively speaking.

I also feel like the manual could use a little better documentation as to how to do this. In the index, there is only documentation on how to set it up and not how to actually do it. I know those little print icons are all over the software, but I was in the Hog 2 mindset when I was trying to figure this out and was looking all thru the control panel for reports or printing or something.

If anyone from High End sees this, is it worth sending my file to you, not sure if you'd have better luck printing stuff out from the show file, I just need a pdf?

Thanks for any help,

Eric
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited June 2009
    just to add.

-In Hog III printing will only print to your default printer.
    -I have had really good results using cutepdf as my default printer for the last few years.
    http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
    -some redraw issues within patch and printing which HE are aware of and can't be changed yet like moving universes/columns etc
    -trying changing to compact mode if i'm reading your post correctly.

if you use the search function on the top header bar and type in printing you will find several posts with discussions about printing.

Good luck C
    edited June 2009
    I was in compact mode, I'll try out cutepdf and set it to default printer and see if that helps.

Thanks
    Eric
    edited June 2009
    Just tried with CutePDF and no luck. I'll upload the file to High End.

Thanks
    Eric
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Eric,

I received your show file and we will look at this today. I suspect the problem could be due to compact mode
    edited June 2009
    Eric,

I did indeed find bug #4183 which says that printing anything that is in compact view will not print. I have added your comments to the thread. Try printing your cue contents in non-compact mode.
    edited June 2009
    Great, Thank you.

Eric
    edited June 2009
    Hi Brad,

I still didn't have any luck printing in non-compact mode. This was on Hog3PC running as the server. I had only the one editor open when I tried to do this. I tried only printing one page as well. The software would lag for about 2 seconds each time and then crash. I didn't try as a client, would this be more stable?

Were you able to print from this show file? I did edit the file slightly, I added one more cue list but the cue list that I was trying to print "Orbo Novo" had very few changes.

Thanks again for your help,

Eric
    edited June 2009
    Eric,

I am seeing problems printing cue contents in your show file. I am experiencing the crash as you report. I can print the patch and cuelist, but not any contents. I have tried from a different show file and have no problems. I am continuing to investigate what is unique about your show file and will report back my findings soon.
    edited June 2009
    Ah HA!

I have found the problem with printing cue contents and your show file. Actually this can occur with ANY show file. The bug is due to the fact that your cue contains ONLY desk channels. If you have any non-desk channel fixture type also in the list, then it will print.

For instance, I added a trackspot to your show file and made it fixture #500. I did not patch it. Then I put it at full and merged it into cue 100 of your main list. Now when I tried to print the contents of that cue it did not crash! All subsequent cues in the list could be printed as well because the trackspot was tracking.

I have logged bug #12916 for this printing problem. Thanks for helping to find it as I suspect that it has been around for a long time.
    edited June 2009
    Hi Brad,

Thanks for this, I added a trackspot and was able to print, but does the software only print one cue at a time? Also it does not list the desk channels in order in the printout? I tried doing this in the list directory but that printed the properties of the cue lists in the show.

Thanks
    Eric
    edited June 2009
    Eric,

Really the printing routines are very rarely used beyond printing patch information. We do have quite a few bugs logged against the various print problems and do hope to enhance the printing in the future. Of course the printing is a low priority, but hopefully we will improve it one day.

One thing I have done when there is specific data or layouts that I need printed is to do a screen capture of Hog 3PC. Then I have a true graphic that I can print to show the layout of palettes or display cue information.

As you found right now you can only print one cue at a time and there is no method to print the data of every cue within a list via a single command.
    edited June 2009
    The print screen worked for me, took a little time, but I got what I needed.

Thanks
    Eric