Corrupted Show File

I just had some bizarre things happen with a show file. When this first started, I wasn't even touching the console. I'll try to describe as best I can what was happening before this started.

The setup is an IPC as the show server and two clients connected wirelessly running 3PC on XP computers. Everything was running 3.0.4.

All IP's were static with no DHCP server running on show server or on wireless router.
Show Server- 172.31.0.1
Client 1- 172.31.0.2
Client 2- 172.31.0.3

The show has one main cue list with LTP and three other cuelists setup as HTP. The main list had a cue active on it with the fader down. The HTP stacks all had their faders at full.

I logged onto the show server from Client #1 and brought up some things in the programmer. Everything worked fine, when I finished I quit the software.

I then started Hog3PC on Client #2, it had normally been connecting to the show server, but wanted to run it independantly. I clicked settings in the startup window and enabled Run Server. I didn't change the port number from 6600 and the network connection to the IPC was still active as well. I then browsed to the backup file and selected it. The archive expanded but the console locked up almost immediately. I had to ctrl alt del to shut the software down. I should also mention that I was using Windows Remote Desktop to access this client and that it was set up on a seperate wired network in different IP ranges, the wireless card used for the Hognet and the wired network were not bridged.

I went back to the IPC and the desktop crashed. I hit pig open backspace to bring it back and the console lagged quite a bit it came back but the console was extremely unresponsive. The displays as well as LED's on the consoles took a while to respond. I did a hard reset on the console using the button under the armrest, I couldn't get it to let me shut it down normally.

When the console restarted, I opened the existing show file that I had been using, the show server took what seemed like 4 times as much time to load as it normally does. The console was once again extremely unresponsive and the three HTP cuelists look to have all of the cues from the main stack on the playback bar. When i opened the cuelist for each of the 3 HTP stacks, there was only the one cue that I had put there. I attached some photos of the cue list and of the playback bar, sorry the quality is so bad, it's from a cell phone. I also was able to run cues from the HTP stacks, so it would seem that this corruption did not only affect the display of the cues but it also created actual cues in other stacks.

I shut the IPC down again and loaded a backup file and everything was fine.

This seems to me to be related to when I logged on with Client #2. In the future I'll disable the wireless hognet adaptor if I'm going to run the console as a standalone or would changing the port number accomplish the same thing.

Has anyone ever experienced this, is there anything else that I should have done differently to have avoided this?

I'll upload a file when I get a chance.

Thanks
Eric
  • [quote=erock;38729]
    I then started Hog3PC on Client #2, it had normally been connecting to the show server, but wanted to run it independantly. I clicked settings in the startup window and enabled Run Server. I didn't change the port number from 6600 and the network connection to the IPC was still active as well. I then browsed to the backup file and selected it. The archive expanded but the console locked up almost immediately. I had to ctrl alt del to shut the software down. I should also mention that I was using Windows Remote Desktop to access this client and that it was set up on a seperate wired network in different IP ranges, the wireless card used for the Hognet and the wired network were not bridged.

I would try it on a different port if you try to do this again. I am not sure whether this could be the issue, but I have a hunch that it was. Could you try to do it on 6601 and see if you get the same issues?

Regards,
  • I just tried to go into the corrupted show file and make a backup to upload and all of the problems seem to have corrected themselves. I even tried one of the backups that had been created when this problem happened and it too seemed normal.

Eric
  • Hi I finally got a chance to try to recreate this and got slightly different results. This time when I had the IPC on the network running as a server on port 6600 and then started another server on H3PC also running on 6600, I got the message on the H3PC that the console was idle because it detected another server on the network. On the IPC the server stopped and the console logged out and took me back to the startup screen. It didn't seem to corrupt the show file as had happened previously.

Is this expected behaviour? I would think that the original server, the IPC would not experience any sort of hit as it had and would continue running as normal or at worst show some sort of message saying that an additional server had been prevented from starting as it was trying to connect on the same port.

I know that the manual clearly states that if you want to run two servers on the same network that they must have different console numbers, ports, etc. I originally discovered this as an accident and it would be great if the software had the ability to prevent this from happening.

Thanks
    Eric
Related