VMware vs parallels in the Hog/lighting world

Hey all-

I'm unfortunately and fortunately in the market for a new computer right now, as my Powerbook finally bit the dust! I'm wondering, I read all about VMware and parallels (mainly the latter) being used in the lighting world (and others). Is there a plus to either piece? Does anyone have a preference for a reason? Does one work better than the other?

Thanks!
  • Why dont you just go for something that runs windows..? But for cying out loud do not get Vista!! Get XP SP2/3.

Regards,
  • Good question, easy answer: rendering and CAD. I have done a lot of work with Vectorworks on the Mac. I don't want to rebuy everything for a windows machine, when I can just transfer over a lot of what I have for the Mac to the new one. Plus, if I just said, well, I'll get updates for all the software and call it a night: a high end PC is going to cost the same as a Mac, pretty much no matter. Maybe slightly cheaper, but maybe slightly more expensive as well.

Long and short of it, I don't want to rebuy everything I already have.

Also, I know before anyone asks, in a show situation, use Bootcamp. I'm just asking for a general feeling on the virtual desk programs.
  • Fair enough. Dont want to turn this into a Mac vs Windows debate, but I am definitly a Windows man. From the age of 5 I was brought up using it. Used Mac a few times.. didnt really like it. But If you got VW etc for it then stay with Mac and run parallels. My friend runs parallels and says it is good. It is not worth re-buying what you have.

Regards,
  • Well, I used windows for years as well. I can't say I was using them at 5, but probably 10 or so. Heck, at the moment, I'm on the PC I built in college running XP....only like 6 years old now, but still running strong. It was only when I got into CAD and rendering that I went for a Mac. Honestly, I've run both programs (VMware and Parallels), but I just want the feeling from those whom use it daily. Since I've only dabbled, I'm not as familiar in all the intricasies and subtleties in both programs.
  • I just bought a new brand MacBook Pro 17 and I'm very happy with it. I did install windows Xp under bootcamp and everything runs smoothy. I'm obviously using bootcamp for anything connected to lighting such as wysiwyg hog 3pc and every other editor I'm using and like I said everything works perfectly. the only inconvenience when using Hog3pc is that you can't turn on keyboard's shortcut because of the lack of the pause button. That's something you can do under parallels. Workaround is attaching a usb keyboard.
    One other good thing with Mac is that you can run the catalyst and preview your work without necessarily having the media server and that's a gook thing if you do loads of work with the catalyst as I'm doing.
    that's my 2 cents obviously but I see no advantages in using a windows based pc.
  • I'm a former PC/Current Mac guy and was in the same boat. I use Parallels but have never used VMFusion. It's what was recommended to me.

Basically...either one works well. I use mine for Hog3PC as a remote focus as well as basic WYG stuff with no issues. If I need to do rendering, I launch with Bootcamp...if I'm doing basic plotting, instrument stuff, Parallels handles it just fine.

So...Hog3PC runs great, Parallels runs fairly well (unless you're trying to do 100 movers obviously).....Using Parallels, you can send "keys that don't exist" to be able to trigger the keyboard to "MAP" instead of "ABC." You can't do that in Bootcamp.

Hope it helps. If you have any particular questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • I have both a PC and a Mac. The Mac is used mainly for photo stuff on the Mac side and then I use bootcamp if I need to use it for Hog3pc. It's nice to have if I ever need to use it for H3PC. I normally just use my PC for H3PC, but it's nice to have the flexibility between the 2 computers.
  • Alright. Figured as much between the two windows emulators that they were about the same, but I wanted to hear it from others too. Thanks.
Related