Df-50 Hazer

kmkarimkmkarim Registered User
edited September 2009 in Wholehog 3 General Discussion
Hello,

I am trying to setup a DF-50 Hazer (older model no DMX) to be controlled by the hog system. Would it be possible to plug the power for the Hazer into a dimmer and then patch it as a non-dimmable fixture? I tried this but on the hog the intensity just stays at 0. I guess what I am asking is, is there a way to have a fixture so the power is either 0 or 100 no values in between?

Thanks,

kmkarim

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Are you using the Non-Dim fixture profile? Or a Desk Channel profile?

I do this quite often with no issues using the Non-Dim profile under Generic.

Hope this helps :)
  • kmkarimkmkarim Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I tested non dim under fixture profile and I cant turn the intensity to 100% it just sits at 0, am I doing something wrong?
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2009
    You might just need to spin the encoder a bit more.

Or try holing down the "+" while you move the encoder clockwise.

Hope this helps. :)
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Or...silly question...is the Grand Master down?
  • Mike CMike C Registered User
    edited May 2009
    The intensity has to be above 50%, and then it will snap to 100%.

I just used the the Non-Dim fixture to control a DF-50 last week, and it works as you would expect.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2009
    Instead of spinning the encoder, press FULL?
  • lightmike87lightmike87 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    can you put a DF50 on a dimmer anyways? call me a newb, but i've been taught not to put anything not made to dim on a dimmer. Something about even at 100% the curve isn't completely full.

Please do correct me if i'm wrong here, but I'm trying to recall what I was taught in my college theatre. I'm doing a show this week with a DF50...with no Nondim circuits available...so this thread might even solve a problem for me.
  • Robert26Robert26 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    We put DF-50's on dimmers all the time without issue. We set dimmer 48 on out sensor touring racks to the switched mode. you can then run it as a desk channel or a non-dim. I have done it both ways.
  • lightmike87lightmike87 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    so then, is there a setting on the dimmer I need to change to make it a non dim? the space has a 96 sensor dimmer rack, I would love to have control over the hazer for this show.
  • Robert26Robert26 Registered User
    edited July 2009
    you can go into the CEM of the rack and enter dimmer setup. from there you can select the dimmer you need to be set to switched. then toggle the dimmer mode from [normal] to [switched]. hope this helps.
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited July 2009
    > i've been taught not to put anything not made
    > to dim on a dimmer. Something about even at
    > 100% the curve isn't completely full.

See this thread, it covers the issue rather well:
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=5155

In general, it's a bad idea to put anything other than an incandescent lamp on a dimmer. Fluorescent lamps can be OK provided you're using a dimmable fluorescent ballast and dimmers rated for fluorescent loads.

Anything else is a risk. How big a risk depends on a specific gear.

A fogger is probably less of a risk than something like a plasma TV or moving light. Many foggers are little more than a heater with a fan and pump. To a dimmer, the heater coil looks exactly like a light bulb. The catch is that the fan and pump motors can be burned out by the non-sinewave dimmer output. Just get a DMX remote or DMX relay; You'll sleep more soundly.
  • garygary Registered User
    edited September 2009
    i would have to agree with Eric as relays are the only whay to go, although a DF50 is no more that a small motor you still can do damage to it, if you dont beleave me try it a 50%. becuse who's to say that you have set up the dimmers and that you are controlling the rig the whole time. FIY: to slow down a motor you change the hz not the Votes.