Delay Betwenn Artnet and HogNet

PhilouPhilou Registered User
Hi, i'm running a show with 8 artnet on a FullBoard v3.04.
I'm using a Luminex node 8 for the moment. The point is that we will
play this show in stadium and i will need to use some dp 2000 cause i won't have enough artnet avalaible. So i try to do it and i've got a delay when i'm mixing the 2 protocoles. The artnet is reacting much faster than the dp2000 !
I'd like to know if there is something to configure in the dp ?
Thanks for your answer.

PS : do you have any ideas if the update palette bug will be fixed soon
cause it's nearly every 2/3 update and for sure in live mode
it's not pratical.

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the boar has only a total of 12 universes supported, so 4 intern and 8x node is not your maximum?
  • PhilouPhilou Registered User
    edited May 2009
    You've got 12 artnet. I'm using for the moment 8 output on artnet but i will need soon the 12 artnet plus some hognet (because for the stadium we will have approximatly 300 spots). It's why i try to mix artnet and dp2000 and i've got delay.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2009
    This doesn't surprise me a bit....the DP-2000 gets bogged down very easily when you start loading it up past a certain point.....I only use mine as ArtNet "decoders" now. You can try either adding more DP-2000s into your system and transferring universes over, or get yourself a DP-8000 and you should have no more problems.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited May 2009
    Thanks Marty, i don't exactly know how many universes i will need because the final plot is not ready yet. What i know, it's i will be approximatly around 17/18 universes. The ideas is to use the 12 open artenet output and i'll need only maximum 2 dp2000. The pb is that the compagny i'm working with got a lot of dp2K, and i'm not so sure that they gona buy a dp8000 ! Is there any other solution ?
    edited May 2009
    Depending on the type of fixture you are contolling I would go with about (3) DP-2000s and put no more than 2 universes on each then. If you are using fixtures with mostly HTP channels (like LEDs or Desk Channels) I would go with (6) DP-2000 and put no more than a single universe on each.

This will give you the best case scenario with DP-2000s.

Another advantage of having a DP-8000 is that you could potentially go totally ArtNet with your system as well.

Don't take this the wrong way, because I try to be flexible with vendors wherever I can....BUT if they don't have the tool you need to get the job done....they either need to buy it, or you need to take part of your contract to another shop to get it.
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    but with 6x DP2000 you've got a expensive rack... Maybe it's possible to take an extra superwidget on USB, or is the desk then slowing down?
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I personally would find a DP8K... fast. If you want 8 universes, get 1, if you want 16, get the USB expander. I wouldnt put a super widget in there. That may well end up slowing things even more. I am sure there is a vendor in your area with a DP8K Philou. Where are you located?

Regards,
    edited May 2009
    Marty, i'm completly agree with you. It's only spots that i've got on my desk because there are two others desk (one ma for the leds and matrix) and a avolight for the traditionnal. I was already using only 2 output by dp2k before, but since the artnet is open i prefer to use it.
    I f i understand well, i can use the dp 8000 as artnet ? And so i will have 12 open artnet + 16 by the dp8k.
    I think that i will push the compagny to buy the dp8k, cause we can not play
    when you've got 80 000 persons for a show.
    Thanks
    edited May 2009
    I'm located in france.
    edited May 2009
    The best option would be to call Mark Leahy. He is Regional Manager for northern Europe. He will know where any DP8Ks are near you. His email - [EMAIL="mark.leahy@barco.com"]mark.leahy@barco.com[/EMAIL] or you can call him on 07919007960. I am sure he will be able to help you out. He is always very helpful to me.

The DP8000 can have Art-Net via 5 pin XLR or, there is a Cat 5 port on the rear panel called "fixture link", just like the Full Boar. There would be no slow downs using the DP8000 as it has a much bigger processer than that of the DP2000.

Regards,
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for your answer. I know the local compagny who is selling the dp8k. I will ask them just to deliver one for test.
    Regards.
    edited May 2009
    Thats great! Lets us know how it goes. And if you have any other problems.. we are happy to help :)

Regards,
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited May 2009
    > I wouldnt put a super widget in there. That may
    > well end up slowing things even more.

A super widget doesn't really increase the load. Sending a universe of data out via a widget doesn't take any more work than sending it out via Art-Net.
  • Unknown Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    edited May 2009
    Others in this thread have posted a lot of good ideas (thanks guys!). The 75 MHz processor in a DP2000 simply can't keep up with the >4GHz of processing available in both the DP8000 and RHFB. If you have to use DP2000s, using more of them with less load on each will improve performance. Also, look at how you're using the rig, and put the stuff that needs faster response on he RHFB, leaving the DP2000s for things where you won't notice a slight response lag.

If you're planning on using any fast chases, make sure the fixtures in the chase are all on the same DP. DP2000's can get out of sync when doing fast chases across multiple DPs.
    edited May 2009
    SfeerPeer;38144 said:
    but with 6x DP2000 you've got a expensive rack... Maybe it's possible to take an extra superwidget on USB, or is the desk then slowing down?

A RHFB will only do 12 universes total before you have to add in DPs...so if you're using 12 universes of ArtNet....no widgets will work....including the internal SuperWidget.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited June 2009
    Marty,

You said "A RHFB will only do 12 universes total before you have to add in DPs...so if you're using 12 universes of ArtNet....no widgets will work....including the internal SuperWidget."

The widgets including the internal widget will still work, but they will mimic the 12 universes of the Art-Net. You get a total of 12 universes from the RHFB and can output these 12 as DMX and Art-Net simultaneously. The same goes for the DP8000 (except that it has 16 universes).