Hog III control via Iphone

timmercertimmercer Registered User
edited November 2011 in Wholehog 3 Tips and Tricks
I have been trying to get the iphone to work as a remote for hog III.
I saw a thread that said there was a podcast to show how it is done but I can't find it.
Anybody know how to do this.
I tried to download vnc for iphone and get it talking to the mac but to no avail.
If somebody has step by step instruction on how to accomplish this I would be greatly a in HOG HEAVEN.

Remote focus of movers via iphone wow.
tim

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited May 2009
    There is no official iphone app from HES yet. However a number of users have created thier own. http://lightdesign.from.lu/remote/ - for example, Tom Webber made this one. As these are not supported by HES, may I reccomend you try a tablem PC running H3PC on wireless network with the console and use that to remote focus?

Regards,
  • Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Joe
    Where can we get that iPhone app?

Tim
    The VNC programs are very straight forward. Install VNC(UltraVNC, realVNC, ect) on Window's then Mocha VNC lite on the iPhone. Find your IP address on the PC and enter it in Mocha. What are you running on your Mac? Boot camp, XP and Hogpc?
  • but0017but0017 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    is that app able to be downloaded from anywhere? or is it still being tested by him?
    edited May 2009
    I would highly advise you speak to the designer of the App themselves, his website is: http://lightdesign.from.lu/ Or see his profile on here: http://forums.highend.com/member.php?u=98

I dont know the limitations and in's/out's of his iphone app because I dont have an iphone and dont intend to get one. I am sure Tom will be happy to take your queries.

I must stress at this point, this is not an App made by HES/Barco. I myself do not work for HES/Barco. This information is just stuff that has come up around the forums and is certainly not an official product.

Regards,
    edited May 2009
    yes i realise HES havnt supported it, as the guy who made it has said himself, but thats beside the point if its supported or not because if it works it works what more can you want?
    edited May 2009
    It may well work. But we dont know about any hidden effects on the console or the Hog software itself. The systems life cycle itself has a large chunk of testing no matter what sort of system you are creating. I am sure the software is stable... I just wanted to make you aware of certain things.

Regards,
  • sandersander Registered User
    edited May 2009
    i used 'snatch' by hoofien, a keystroke manager app. you can create a button, with text, color, size and a key content properties. and scroll through 4 screens. after a while, you will miss the commend line...
    [ATTACH]1207[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1208[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1209[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1210[/ATTACH]
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for that Sander, is it something you found useful to have though? Joe its not something we would get and put straight into a show situation without thoroughly testing it back at the factory beforehand and seeing what its effects etc are. Are HES looking at developing an app, MA Lighting have released theirs for the MA line and they are now leaps ahead in remote focus then Hog is, i think it would be great to see HES get back on an even playing field.
    edited May 2009
    I mentioned this a few weeks ago too. Every major competetor have one ofr thier product. ETC, MA, Compulite, PRG, I think even the Maxxyz has one. HES does have the ability to wireless network with H3PC, that is a powerful feature we musnt forget. I think that ability will always be better than any app. The app probably wont have every feature of H3PC, (For obvious reasons), so it really depends on the situation...

Regards,
  • timmercertimmercer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I got the vnc for iphone working but I was using virtual box to run XP which wa running Hog III pc. There was a significant lag time in the response between iphone and the computer. This would drive you crazy trying to made position palettes, which is one of the main functionalities I would like the iphone to be able to do.
    A highend app for the iphone that could be configured for a wireless router networked to the Hog III or Hog IPC running III software would be outstanding.
    It could be HOG III lite with just programming functions (pan, tilt intensity, Beam parameters, etc...) and have the ability to record and update pallettes.
    Also being able to remotely trigger the cue so you could see what your show looks like from the stage and from different spots in the audience.
    With the proliferation of the iphone in the industry I believe thsi would be helpful and maybe even profitable. I would pay a nominal fee for this ability.

That being said is there a tutorial on how to use a windows laptop and connect via a wireless router to the HOG II or Hog IPC. That way I could control the console remotely. I do a lot of corporate meetings/theater. Most of the time the console is set up in the corner of the room some 100 feet off axis of the center line. Changing fucuses and setting levels requires me to have a good ME who knows the console to help out. Sometimes I have no such person on the call and end up running back and forth to get it right.
    Or I spend 20 minutes trying to explain to the FOH sound guy how to select instruments and pan and tilt. You all can see why this would be a very useful feature in my world. I know it's not all about me but....

tahnk you all for your help. I have been a HOG guy exclusively for 15 years and am just getting into the forum for the first time.
    tim
    edited May 2009
    i totally agree tim, i think it would be great to see high end release an app, it only needs the features you explained as that would greatly help updating and getting certain cues right, instead of seeing the same thing from your console which may not be in the right position. i know you can remote connect with wifi with your laptop but it still involves using a mouse and turning encoder wheels which can be a pain, and i think there is a big opening for something like the iphone to come into.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    I realize everyone wants an app (I do too)....but right now, for me, it's just candy. I use a wireless router at FOH on the Hognet side of my console. I open my laptop on a roadcase onstage, roll around with my light meter and make focus and intensity changes with no issues at all.

This can be done with any laptop with a wireless card (PC or Mac running Bootcamp, fusion, etc) and a wireless router (lock it down so people don't think it's an internet connection).

One thing that can't be done with an iphone app (or blackberry, palm, whatever), is the ability to add wings. Right now, I have a roadcase with my Mac and the programming wing attached. I knock out focuses onstage extremely fast having the physical encoders, trackball, etc.

Now...all that being said, yes, I want an iphone app. I'm all for it. Even with the iphone app, you'll still need a wireless router setup properly in order to access it....and possibly Hog3PC running on a server of some type (not sure...just guessing). So all it is really doing is adding in a platform to let you see it on your small phone as opposed to a 13, 15, 17 screen (whatever size your laptop is).

Just wanted to throw those thoughts out...
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    timmercer;37915 said:

That being said is there a tutorial on how to use a windows laptop and connect via a wireless router to the HOG II or Hog IPC. That way I could control the console remotely.
    tim
    Tim,

Please see our training section for information on connecting via a wireless laptop:
    http://www.highend.com/support/training/wholehogtutorials.asp

This page has links for both wired and wireless connections.
  • timmercertimmercer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    thanks Brad.
    I will try this Friday on the IPC.
  • aphylotusaphylotus Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Hello,

did not have the time to reply earlier, but here I am.

About the application which I wrote, which You can see on the page (http://lightdesign.from.lu/remote/). Yes it is working, I used it a few times, there should however be some changes on the layout of the buttons, some of them are too small and so on.
    It is working this way. if you press a button on the iphone, it is sending the command to a Windows pc, where hog3Pc is installed. I wrote a small application, which runs on the same PC, and is listening on the network. Here it gets commands from the iphone application. In fact these commands are single words like "undo", "next", "1", "thru". The application on the PC has a file which maps the commands to keystrokes. These keystrokes are then sent to Hog3PC which executes them.

This is working pretty well, might be enough for some applications. But the major Problem is that You have no feedback on the iphone about where the desk is about. If You are on stage with the iphone, and typing "1 tru 20 enter", you have no clue if the command line is empty or not, so you keep on pressing backspace on the iphone to be sure.

This is in fact the main Problem why I did not release the application yet, because I am not happy with the result. And the Problem (beside other cool feature which could be done, but at the current stage are not possible (pan tilt control f.ex)) is that I am not able to get a feedback from the Hog3PC application in any way. I am sending keystrokes to it, this does work, this is a standard Windows behavior. The Hog3PC Application is not written using standard Windows Components (because of the code reusage for Linux), otherwise it would have been possible to read-out the command line, and sending this back to the iPhone.

So this is where we are at the moment. Perhaps HighEnd could give me a hint how to readout the command line, and to simulate the rotation of the 4 Wheels thru an external Programm, we could create a Non-High-End remote in the meanwhile (which I understand, I guess they have so many features in the Pipe) which would be usefull (at least a lot better than the current version).

It would be a pleasure for me to finalize the application, and release both the application as well as the Windows Programm for free to the Hog Community, and surely listen to the remarks and suggestions to enhance the Program. Also, if HighEnd would like to reuse my sources, to have a look at them, or to reuse some work already be done, sure no Problems either.

Would be cool if we could find a way to finalize this one, because in fact we are already close to the finish-line :)

Best Greetings from Luxembourg

Tom
    edited May 2009
    hey tom, that is something i guess we all hope to see, that high end takes you up on your offer to help develop this app even further as by the sounds it sounds like its almost there and quite powerful, and would be a great help to many of us hog users. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Branden
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited May 2009
    aphylotus;38132 said:
    give me a hint how to readout the command line, and to simulate the rotation of the 4 Wheels

Tom,

you're right, accessing properties of Qt objects requires nothing short of dll injection into the desktop process, which i do not recommend.

while 2PC does not use Qt, it presents a similar challenge. i found that grabbing the Device Context to get an actual image was far more useful than getting text; setting a timer to call user32's GetDC(), ReleaseDC() and gdi32's StretchBlt() allowed me to perform very efficient screen grabs and to detect changes before sending to an RFU. having an image of the command line to display encoder assignments and immediate values makes a huge difference while on stage:

[ATTACH]1221[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1222[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1223[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1224[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1225[/ATTACH]

rotating the wheels (also in this example, touching the 2PC touchschreen) is a dead-simple FindWindow(), FindWindowEx(), and then SendMessage() or PostMessage() WM_LBUTTONDOWN, WM_MOUSEMOVE, WM_LBUTTONUP.

also attached to this post is a class diagram of my 2PC RFU project, with the desktop application on the left, the ppc application on the right, and code shared between the two at the top; you might be able to pull some ideas from it.

feel free to e-mail me, any time.
  • aphylotusaphylotus Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Hi Quinn,

not a bad idea about the Screen Capture. I will look into that, cool.
    Also about the spin wheels.

Thanks a lot for the inspiration, will keep You posted about this soon

Tom
    edited May 2009
    Quinn, I am blown away by your posting man!! I mean really, top quality!

Tom, the app looks great. I wont be getting an iPhone. I do not like Mac. I am happy with a laptop + programming wing on a flightcase with wheels connected to the netowkr via a wireless router. If the show is big enough for wirless remote focus, it can afford a programming wing hire aswell. :) However I think the users around here that have iPhones.. (and there is quite a few), will be very pleased with this!

Keep up the good work. Tom if your at Plasa, it would be nice to have a chat :)
  • joeshepardjoeshepard Registered User
    edited May 2009
    On a Mac laptop running windows how are people getting around the lack of a Pause/Break key? I've got my wireless network running great but without the Pause/ Break key I can't use any of the keyboard shortcuts.

Joe
    edited May 2009
    Joe,

Are you using Parallels or VMWare?

In Parallels, under Virtual Machine, you can send keys that don't exist on a Mac Keyboard (Ctrl/Alt/Delete, Pause/Break, etc). Not sure if it's the same on VMWare. This does not work in Bootcamp.
    edited May 2009
    Jon,

Excellent! Oh man, how did I miss that. I am using Parallels and I thought I had looked there.

Thanks so much!

Joe
  • JohannezJohannez Registered User
    edited July 2009
    In Bootcamp I use the virtual keyboard for that.
  • DuadamsDuadams Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I cant seem to get to his site with the link provided? Anyone else try his Iphone app?
    Dustin Adams
  • AmirCNAmirCN Registered User
    edited July 2009
    What you need to do is:
    1) Download the "VNC Lite" App to the Iphone

2) Download the "VNC Server" to your PC
    ...now make the same IP for the Iphone VNC as it apper in the PC VNC
    and now you can see the desktop of your PC on your Iphone...

3)connect the Wholehog to your PC and run Hog3pc, now connect as a client to a Wholehog show.

so right now you can see the Hog3pc on your Iphone and control it. and because the Hog3pc conect to the wholehog you can controle the stage...from your Iphone.

Hope this help

Amir
    edited October 2009
    Hey everyone in this thread....

I wanted to give you an update on what I've been working on. I have been using Snatch as was suggested above and have come up with a set of screens that works fairly well.

Still...without encoder keys, it's difficult for that, but to be able to trigger cues, choose masters, etc., it works pretty well.

I've attached screenshots of the 4 screens. This layout seems to work best. I can slide back and forth between "play fader controls" and "choose master controls" fairly quickly. The second 2 allow be to jump back and forth between the number pads and "live, cue, etc." As I add more functions, I'll keep posting new images. But this is working for now.

Special thanks to Scott Barnes keyboard shortcut graphics!!!!

[ATTACH]1390[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1391[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1392[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1393[/ATTACH]
    edited October 2009
    Jon,
    Not only are the graphics are really cool, they look very functional as well.

Excellent job!

I'm curious would it be possible to use 2 iPhones at the same time so you could have multiple screens?

Joe

edited October 2009
    In theory, I don't see why not. It's just running Snatch. You can connect multiples to the same server on the computer. The only thing you'd have to watch for would be sending two commands at once.

FYI: If anyone cares, Snatch is $3.99 in the App Store. So, for $3.99, you can build it however you want. The Server side on the computer will run on Mac, XP or Vista so it doesn't matter what flavor computer you're using. If you use Snatch, they allow you to upload screens so if you want them, just let me know and I can email them off.

Also, there are some really cool remotes for Adobe CS4, Final Cut Pro, etc. that you can load for other apps.

Thanks for the kind comments Joe. I worked hard on the layout to see what worked and what didn't. The one thing I found that made it easier is to make a "background plate" in Photoshop to layout how I wanted it. Then, in Snatch, I setup "clear" buttons that overlay the actual buttons. That way, if I need to change something, I update the plate in Photoshop and keep going.

The latest version of Snatch has upgraded from 4 screens to 8. I'm going to play around and see what I can come up with for the other screens. Some other new features that I haven't played around with yet is shortcut keys can now be programmed to perform any sequence of remote control actions, not just keystrokes. You can record mouse gestures and clicks, application-launching and quitting commands, and you can add short pauses in the recording. This makes it possible to use the app as a productivity-enhancing and work-saving automation tool. It could get more interesting to come up with some ways to use the mouse gestures and clicks if I can get it implemented.

J
  • barnes2000barnes2000 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2009
    Hey Jon,
    If you want, I can give you those graphics without the Letter on top, and the number keys to match. I can get rid of the white corners too. Let me know.
    edited October 2009
    HAHA...Absolutely. Let's make this look solid.

I appreciate it Scott.

Send it to jon at housetohalf dot net and I'll rework the plate.
    edited October 2009
    Just discovered one flaw in Snatch. It does not allow "multi" key combos...such as CTRL-ALT-DEL (each being held). It would send the string as "CTRL" (release) "ALT" (release) and then "DEL" so you don't get the proper response.

This becomes a problem for issues such as Choosing Faders, etc. I have downloaded and installed AutoHotKey on the PC and am remapping single keys to trigger the "multi-key" functions and everything is working fine now.

Just thought you'd want to know if you try it out.

Jon
    edited October 2009
    After some comments from people, I have added screens 5 and 6.

The order now:
    Play screen
    Choose Master screen
    10-Key Pad
    Blind/Highlight etc. screen (shown above)
    Another 10-key Pad
    New screen with Int Pos Col Beam, Fixture/Group, Goto, Clear and Setup Control and Open.

This layout ensures that no matter what screen you're on with buttons, you're only 1 swipe away from the 10-key pad.

I've attached a shot of screen 6.
    [ATTACH]1394[/ATTACH]

Scott has offered to rework the buttons without the keystrokes and do numbers that match and I'll adjust the backplates accordingly. If anyone wants to try them, feel free to PM me. There's a couple of items you need, but it seems pretty straightforward.

Please...any comments are greatly appreciated! I look forward to people trying it out. It's already out on a couple of phones of people I work with and they seem to like it so far. If you have Snatch, let me know and I'll send you instructions.

Jon
    edited October 2009
    I know I'm beating this to death....but here goes anyway.

The new plates are ready and I'd like some feedback.

Here are the changes:
    • New graphics courtesy of Scott Barnes
    • New background plates completed
    • Reworked Remote6 to include Effect and Time
    With Snatch you have 8 screens. I have currently left screens 7 and 8 open for suggestions. I have thought about a few options, but I'm leaving those out there. One idea is to use page 7 and 8 for special "group" buttons for the most used groups to utilize the next/back/highlight buttons. Not sure yet, so I'm open to suggestions.

There are a few keys not included and I'm listing the reasons why for now. If I find a solution, I'd be happy to include them in the future.
    • Pig - Pig requires a 2-key hold (Pig + something). Currently, Snatch is not able to do this. It would send it as "Ctrl, (release control) and then something else). The way I got around this for the Choose Masters is done with the AutoHelpKey remapping. I remapped unused keys from Hog3PC and setup strings.
    • Next Page - didn't include it because of already having Page. Would you find it useful? Or is using Page and a number ok?
    • Fan - Same as Pig
    • Time - now included on Remote6 (I had forgotten it)
    • Effect - now included on Remote6 (forgotten again)
    • Macro - was already on Page 4
    • Set - without a keyboard popup easily, I didn't include it. If I can find a way to trigger the internal keyboard, it could be useful. I'll look into it
    • GM - Can't fade it down, so I left it out for now
    That's it for this update....please let me have your feedback. A few people have already requested the pages. Once I get these loaded into Snatch and confirmed working, I will zip them up with the AutoHelpKey file and send it off, but please be patient.

Jon (only 5 screens are uploaded because Screen5 is a copy of Screen 3 (10-key pad)
    [ATTACH]1397[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1398[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1399[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]1400[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1401[/ATTACH]
    edited October 2009
    leave a page with buttons to program your favorites groups/colors or i don't know, but with buttons that can have a keystroke.
    it looks really great, with those bigger hog3is buttons!! wauw.
    for the choose buttons i used 'alt-#' to make that chooser active, but probably you was aware of that.
    i'm looking forward that this is implemented like a standard in the hog family.

with regards
    edited October 2009
    sander;41944 said:
    for the choose buttons i used 'alt-#' to make that chooser active, but probably you was aware of that.
    Sander, I'm curious about this. I was never able to make the "alt-#" work. It always took it as 2 keystrokes as opposed to holding ALT and hitting a number. Did I miss something? If this does indeed work, then I can do away with the key remapper. I tried everything I could think of.

Let me know! I'm really interested.

J
    edited October 2009
    when, in the record mode, you type the alt button, it will highlite and then type the number for that key, you are making. the choose button i didn't use. hope it helps
    edited October 2009
    So thanks to some great beta testing with Scott Barnes, Sanders, and a few others, we've got it dialed in with a few caveats.

I have a new set of screens to ship out but here are the notes:

* Autohotkey is no longer needed - all current functions are working
    * Currently, the Choose Master page DOES NOT WORK on Macs running Parallels. I'm going to be doing further testing to get this working. If you're running straight XP, it works fine.
    * All other functions work on Macs running Parallels

Jon
    edited October 2009
    Here's the latest...

10/19/09 - revisions
    edited October 2009
    hi jon,

it looks good, well done!
    in the third screen the return button is to large, you cant hit the 3 and @ button. you can ofcourse load the 6th screen.
    maybe a 'release all' (ctrl-z) could be usefull

with regards
  • JohannezJohannez Registered User
    edited October 2009
    jxgriffi;41959 said:
    So thanks to some great beta testing with Scott Barnes, Sanders, and a few others, we've got it dialed in with a few caveats.

I have a new set of screens to ship out but here are the notes:

* Currently, the Choose Master page DOES NOT WORK on Macs running Parallels. I'm going to be doing further testing to get this working. If you're running straight XP, it works fine.

Jon
    Not totaly true, Im running xp under bootcamp, so thats straight windows. And the Choose Master page didnt work there.
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited October 2009
    Works great here on Vista PC. Nice job.
    edited October 2009
    Johannez;41962 said:
    Not totaly true, Im running xp under bootcamp, so thats straight windows. And the Choose Master page didnt work there.
    So it truly only works on a PC...thanks for that (and I'll be contacting Hoofien about it too)
    srautane said:
    Works great here on Vista PC. Nice job.
    Thanks Sami!

I'll add that into those notes on the Readme.
    edited October 2009
    sander;41961 said:
    hi jon,

it looks good, well done!
    in the third screen the return button is to large, you cant hit the 3 and @ button. you can ofcourse load the 6th screen.
    maybe a 'release all' (ctrl-z) could be usefull

with regards
    Thanks Sander....

I'll make those adjustments today.

I'll also setup a hosting on my site for updates along with a revision line in the name. Once those are up, I'll post the link here.
    edited October 2009
    I'd like to thank Jon for his work on this. Now that he has got me up to speed on this App, I am going to try building some other options as far as layouts. I like what Jon has done, but Sander's has some good layouts too. I will try a version that blends the two together. I've also made a new background that matches the shell of the Wholehog console, and a page of palettes.
    edited October 2009
    Thanks go out to everyone on this. Beta (or is it alpha in this case) testing has been great. Scott, Sander, Johannes, everyone...thanks so much.

Scott...love the new looks along with the directory page! Awesome.

I can't wait to see what people come up with and see how far we can take this.

Now we just need encoder mapping and it's all good. :poke::poke::poke:

I can setup a link on my site and we can keep various versions for people to play with.

J
    edited October 2009
    Site is now up and running....

Scott Barnes has redone some graphics and those are included. I setup the site so that people can mix and match remotes as they feel fit. Each screen shot is an individual page of the Snatch app. Download the pages you want and arrange as you feel works best for you. I have also included the original 6 that I made. As screens Scott or I come up with new screens, they will be added to the page.

Have a suggestion for a screen? Email from the website (there's a new address just for this). Now...keep in mind, this is a labor of love for something I felt was needed. However, I don't have time to spend 20 hours a day designing and building custom remote screens. If it works, I'll give it a shot, but please don't be greedy.

One caveat...
    The "palettes" page is just a background plate. It is NOT a remote. It is for people to do their own customization and add keys, etc. To make it a page, make a full screen "key" and choose this graphic. All the information is in the Snatch documentation.

http://www.housetohalf.net/iphone

And of course...one final comment.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL HIGH END SYSTEMS/BARCO/FLYING PIG SYSTEMS PRODUCT. IT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY HES/BARCO IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Jon,

You said: "THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL HIGH END SYSTEMS/BARCO/FLYING PIG SYSTEMS PRODUCT. IT IS NOT SUPPORTED BY HES/BARCO IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM."

True that... but we do all appreciate what you and the others have created and we commend you on your hard work and dedication!
    edited October 2009
    Thanks Brad...like I said...it is definitely a labor of love and I've had a blast developing it. This is such a great community of programmers and I know we can take this to the next level (wait till you see what Scott has up his sleeve!).

I just had to put in the disclaimer because I can easily see someone calling in saying "my phone isn't working with my console."

See you in Florida!
    :friday:
    edited October 2009
    Just wanted to show the next round of skins for Jon's site. I'm calling this one Classic Hog 3. Once I finish mapping the keys, I'll send it to Jon to post on his site.

edited October 2009
    Seeing those new graphics makes me want to do sooooo much more. Unfortunately, with Snatch we are quite limited. I want the "leds" to light up, I want feedback into the system...too bad we're limited to keystrokes and single graphics.

The only way to do what I want to do would be to network in directly without using Hog3PC client. And, the only way to do that...well, would be with HES/Barco. :dunno: