Bug Report b2468 - Per Type palettes wrong with Change Type

Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
Hog-3 v3.0.4 b2468
(1) DP-8000
(1) AXON

I just took a showfile built with DL.2s and did a Change Type to DL.3s.
All my media palettes were built as "Per Type".
After the Change Type my palettes are all still set up for DL.2s and thereby unavailable for DL.3s?!?!

My workaround currently is to leave a "dummy" DL.2 fixture in Patch and manually Clone then Merge each palette over to DL.3s type in the Programmer......only about 100 more palettes to go.....I'm really wishing for Keystroke Macros right about now.....

All of my Moving Light palettes built as "Per Type" suffered the same fate after Change Type.

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    shoot me, but shouldn't you have used 'Global' instead of 'per type' ????
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Dag Sfeer,

It is a valid question.

The tricky thing is that with the DLs the "Global" and the "Graphics Layer" fixtures share some of the same parameters (like color FX).

So I tend to build all my DL palettes as "Per Type" to avoid possible conflicts there.
    edited May 2009
    Another nasty side-effect hereis that this also removed all reference from my cues to these palettes (nothing is there....not even hard values).:aargh4:

After several hours of tedious extra work I finally have a working showfile.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Bummer Marty.

I will take a look at this and log any appropriate cues... can you send me your pre-changed show file?
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited May 2009
    maybe you can add a DL2-fixture and merge a backup-show to get/merge the old parameters?
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited May 2009
    It would be nice to have a console function that allows the user to force matching fixture parameters into another type so one can avoid having to redo palettes all over again.
    edited May 2009
    SfeerPeer;37813 said:
    maybe you can add a DL2-fixture and merge a backup-show to get/merge the old parameters?

I thought about that too, but I didn't realize the problem till I had already done a day + of WYG with the new movers in the show.

This is functionality that used to work fine, but got broken along the way somewhere.

I'm working off the forums with HES on this specific showfile to see if it is a unique anomoly or something more systemic.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited May 2009
    What if we added per fixture exceptions to the per type palettes as part of the change type process?

Ultimiately, the problem with doing a total change over of the per type palettes is we have no way of knowing if all the fixtures of that particular type have been changed by the "change type" action in the patch, so we can't comfortably change the type in the per type palette because we might wreck fixtures that are still the old type in the per type palette.
    edited May 2009
    c_muenchow;38092 said:
    What if we added per fixture exceptions to the per type palettes as part of the change type process?

Hey Chris,

This is exactly what I would expect to happen to a Per Type palette when Changing Type.

I totally understand the need to keep the original info in the palette.

Thanks for looking into this.
    edited May 2009
    Just to clarify the above post.....I would expect a new "Per Type" exception added to the palette that mirrors the type changed from, as well as keeps the original palette info.

I wouldn't want the "Per Type" palette to become a "Per Fixture" one.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited June 2009
    Cool Marty. I got the enhancement logged now. (#12901)