Palette Speed-Fader

a fader that controles only the crossfade times of palettes would be a perfect thing for live shows...

just a function to set a fader as timing-fader with a editable value as low (down) and high (up) or other way to set 2 fade timings and when this fader is drawn to a position this is the manual setted fade time for next programmer edit...
  • it does even Scancommanderish, but this is what makes this desks so famous... very quick access in live environment...
  • For live enviroment I suggest scenes...cause Scene # Time # is pretty fast to type...

I wonder why Scene # > Enter Time # doesn't work (H3PC)?
  • A Fader would be a great thing. Only because MA has such functions on their desks doesn't make it a bad idea. Many people (including me) don't like to work with the grandMA, but I have to admit that a few functions of that desk a very useful (and many other thing drive you nuts). I just wanted to point out, that you never should make a decision on what function would be nice based on how other desks solve the problem (like "that's how its on the grandMA - we have to do it different").

we are discussing the fade-time of scenes in the following thread, too:
    forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=1732

for a live show typing "scene 1 time 10 enter" is not they way you want to work. I suggested customizable timing-buttons at the top of the scene window next to the guard-button.

But we should maybe leave this thread for fading times in the programmer and have the discussions around scenes in the other thread...
    Jan
  • Matt,

I have a few questions about how you think a "programmer time fader" would function.

Should you be able to set the time values for the low and high limits of the fader?

Should the fader always be active once it's been assigned to a master, or should it not have any affect unless fade changes has been turned on?

Should the fader only apply when you are selecting palettes, or should it affect fade times as you change parameters on the encoder wheels?

Should it control the time that is used when Clear is pressed?

Do you see any use for being able to limit which parameter groups the fader applies to, or possibly being able to create multiple faders for different parameter groups? This could allow having a fader for Intensity time and a different fader for PCB time.

Thanks, and feel free to add any additional comments you may have. The more understanding I have about how you would like this to function, the more likely it is that we can get it implemented properly.
  • Tom, We currently have the notion of cuelist and scenes that control on stage looks that can be mapped to a fader, right? Do we need to extend that notion into another type? If so, what is the most likely description of a pallete within this new type? Donald
  • Donald,

What's being discussed is a fader that has no look information and is only used to control timing.

Currently, in every editor (except parked) there is a Fade Changes button. Enabling Fade Changes causes changes in that editor to use the default timing set in Preferences rather than 0 time for all parameters that are changed.

What has been requested is a fader that would control the fade time of changes that are taking place in the current editor.

This would make it *much* easier to run shows on the fly because you could grab lights and send them to a new palette in whatever time is appropriate for the situation you are in. Currently your only options are to use time 0 (Fade Changes off) or the default time (Fade Changes on).

I'm guessing this would require a slightly different approach to how we handle masters, because it wouldn't be a directory item that gets attached to a master. I'd want the ability to tell the console that a master that I'm not using on my current page should now behave as an "editor time override fader".
  • This is just my opinion, I think Matt will post his ideas, too:

[quote=teerickson]
    Should you be able to set the time values for the low and high limits of the fader?
    yes!
    [quote=teerickson]
    Should the fader always be active once it's been assigned to a master, or should it not have any affect unless fade changes has been turned on?
    It should only be active when fade changes is turned on. Once its turned on, the console should use the default timing if there is no "Live-Timing-Fader".
    [quote=teerickson]
    Should the fader only apply when you are selecting palettes, or should it affect fade times as you change parameters on the encoder wheels?
    It should only affect the fade time when selecting palettes, and never change any timing in the programmer itself when you are recording cues.
    [quote=teerickson]
    Should it control the time that is used when Clear is pressed?
    With fade changes on, yes!
    [quote=teerickson]
    Do you see any use for being able to limit which parameter groups the fader applies to, or possibly being able to create multiple faders for different parameter groups? This could allow having a fader for Intensity time and a different fader for PCB time.
    It would be a nice thing to be able to have it seperated. I can think of a lot of situations where this would be very helpful.

One could combine this function with my feature request to be able to modify the fade time of scenes in an easy way. Just add a "Use Timing-Faders"-button in the scene window.

Jan
  • Hey Tom,
    I would have to agree as well that a this fader is a great idea,
    I have had a few clients ask if that was a option on the 3.
    I am sure I would be able to get more people to use the 3 in "on the fly" style of shows.

Joshua Wood
    Service Manager
    Ruehling Associates Inc.
Related