Update Function - hit and miss?

neil-NSLXneil-NSLX Registered User
Is anyone else finding when hitting Update on Hog 3, it to be slightly Hit and Miss?

Sometimes, I hit Update, and the window asking me what I want to update pops up straight away - other times, I hit Update, and I get nothing. I press several times, maybe even 7 or 8 times, and nothing.

When doing this, I am always in active cues, always with the right stack and cues selected, but yet it fails to work sometimes?

Anyone else had this?

Cheers
Neil

Comments

• dwp-avdwp-av Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Make sure you haven't opened the programmer editor when you are updating your cues. When you are editing a cue, it must be the active editor (in the foreground), you may have multiple editors opened at the same time and not updating the right one. It sounds as if you are updating properly, but I've never experienced this problem...
  • XOP15XOP15 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Hi There,

I seem to get this all the time, mainly when i am running the show and need to do a quick on the fly update, ie. change the colour of a light, so I would Select all wash lights, hit red on the pallet, then hit update and nothing happens, if I hit clear then try again the update window normally opens, I have also found that if I want to edit a value of the first cue of the list that has the SAVE ACTIVITY enabled on it auto update does not work I have to open the cue to make any changes ?......... has anyone else seen this?
  • XOP15XOP15 Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    forgot to add, i'm running on an IPC V3.0.3
  • neil-NSLXneil-NSLX Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Hi Dave,

interesting to see you have had the same issue. Sadly, when I have been needing to use Update, its been with a lot of parameters changed, and pressing Clear and trying again isn't really an option :(
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Neil,

I am curious what you were trying to update when the window did not open. The only known problems with update not appearing are in circumstances related to HTP, IPCB, or changing only timing information. Can you further describe the instance? If you can send me your show file and some hints of the situation when it failed, we will try to recreate the problem. You can send me the show file via http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
  • neil-NSLXneil-NSLX Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Hi Brad,

I'll be honest, its not any particular show file, its happened with any number of shows, I just never bought it up until now. I will email you the recent Noisettes one, which is where I have been having most of the issues...
  • LeggyLeggy Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    I've been seeing this a lot too.
    I've got into the habit of merging instead of updating to avoid the issue.

Leggy.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2009
    I've been trying select fixtures, "touch", select the parmeters,record pallette "x" merge,

Update with lots of parameters being altered or edited i find unreliable in version 3.01.

Best C
  • erockerock Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Hi,

For those of you that use merge instead of updates does it solve all of these problems?

Thanks
    Eric
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Merge consistently works better for me than Update.
  • PryderiPryderi Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    I have seen the same issue as Neil, on occasion.

I also have Update issue with IPCB pallettes - the fix being to go in and out of BLIND. However I have also tried updating when in BLIND, and if the Pallette is one that has refused to take an update, then the Update window doesn't appear if you try to Update (just like Neil's problem). Normally attempting to Update in Blind will give you the option of Updating the Cue, or Track Backwards. Don't know if this is related at all to Neil's issues.

Brad, I have seen this in the showfiles that you had from earlier in the year, but I can send you a newer one if you require.

Eric, If I really need something updated I will use MERGE. Which works every time - both MERGE and RECORD (Merge Option).

Cheers,

P
  • Richard RasmussenRichard Rasmussen Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    I have been running into this problem also. I was running desk channels and image 85's. Almost every time I went to update a cue with the the image 85's in the programmer nothing happen when I hit UPDATE. It was also doing it with desk channels but much more with the 85's. I have been using merge ever since. I will send you the show file Brad. It was on my Hog 3 ver 2452 w dp2000.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Richard,

I have received your show file and the test team is looking at it today. Thanks for sending it in. It should help us narrow down this problem.
  • hercthxhercthx Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Same here I find the best workaround is choose master then merge cue# enter. My updateing issues I find happens when useing multi cuelists with over-riding values. also while useing multi cuelists and trying to add a new channel to my "main" cuelist.
  • Matthew TweddleMatthew Tweddle Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Yeah.

Update whilst blind editing seems ok most of the time.

In Live mode though it often does my head in. (particularly where multiple playbacks are concerned)

Like everybody else here Record Merge seems to be the go when making changes. I learnt that one fast.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited July 2009
    Like everybody else here Record Merge seems to be the go when making changes. I learnt that one fast.

Or for faster results use the MERGE key rather than the RECORD key....;)
  • hercthxhercthx Registered User
    edited March 2010
    Or for faster results use the MERGE key rather than the RECORD key....;)
    yes that is what i have been doing now and i find that MERGE is the way to go, i accualy prefer to merge rather than update now as i feel I have a bit more control over what goes where, thanks for the help guys! until next time, keep em' lit!