Scenes vs. Cuelists

loebusloebus Registered User
Forgive if this has been discussed, but I was wondering if scenes offer any advantages over cuelists, and if not, what is the idea behind them?
I am programming a new Full Boar using two touch screens, and I'm trying to use the screens for virtual subs. I have programmed a number of single-cue cuelists I plan to access from the touch screens, but it occurred to me maybe they should be scenes.
If there is a reason to change them, can I copy cuelists, including text, to scenes?
Also, I've noticed that touching a cuelist on the screen then hitting Enter will only sometimes execute the cue; about half the time I need to hit Enter two or even three times to get the cue to execute. Any suggestions for fixing this? Would scenes be any different?
I'd really like to be able to just touch the cuelist to execute it without then pressing Enter; I don't suppose there's any way to enable this?

Comments

• MarkScottMarkScott Registered User
    edited May 2009
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=4651&highlight=scenes+cuelists

This thread should answer most of your questions...

Mark
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited May 2009
    Turn off GUARD.....

What you're doing right now sounds like the "GUARD" button is on. So, when you touch the button, it is putting "LIST X" on the command line and the enter key is triggering it.

If you turn off the guard, you can touch it to activate it.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Scenes can only contain one 'cue' or look. That is mainly the difference between them and VMs, plus there is no fader attached to a scene.

You shouldn't have to press enter to trigger a scene, just clicking on it (make sure Guard is OFF) will fire the scene.

Scenes are great for preset looks and effects. I have scenes programmed for different houselight levels for example. I have a scene each for House Full, 50%, Glow, and Out, each with its own fade time.
    I also have scenes that enable/disable Beam Time, modify strobe modes, and apply effects.
  • Mike HansonMike Hanson Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Scenes can be moved onto faders, so you can have fader control over them. (Scene #) (move) then (choose) to move them to a fader.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for the clarification, Mike. What I meant to say was scenes are handy when you don't need fader control.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited May 2009
    The main reason I use a Scene vs a Cuelist is "releasability".

Holding down Scene + Release will release all your running Virtual Scenes
    Holding down List + Release will release all your running Virtual Lists

So depending on how you group things together you can easliy release a whole bunch of things while keeping others running......I find it to be completely different show to show how I set this up.

Hope this helps. :)
  • z6p6tist6z6p6tist6 Registered User
    edited May 2009
    One of the nice things (for me) about scenes is that I can set a different set of default settings.

Example:

I do a lot of corporate events and I'm constantly creating HTP faders for groups of fixtures (akin to Submasters on ETC consoles).

My making my Scenes default to HTP, I can quickly create an HTP fader on the fly by hitting RECORD, SCENE, and hitting a choose button.

The fader is instantly an HTP fader (submaster) without ever having to open the cuelist/scene options.

PG
    edited May 2009
    Good point Phil on different options.

Another way to do this specifically to HTP with the new options you can just hold down CHOOSE over the Master and select HTP from the bottom right screen.
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Too bad the method Marty mentioned doesn't work with virtual masters!

I will add my input here as well to request a way to use this feature with virtual lists and scenes since multi-touch isn't on any console and you can't press 2 places on any touch screens.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I find that I use lists as chases and scenes as one off "flash" cues. If I want to flash a chase, I will usually put that as a scene aswell. It is easier to keep track of then.

Regards,
    edited May 2009
    ryanwilkinson;37980 said:
    Too bad the method Marty mentioned doesn't work with virtual masters!

I will add my input here as well to request a way to use this feature with virtual lists and scenes since multi-touch isn't on any console and you can't press 2 places on any touch screens.

You are right about the XP based consoles....but on the full size H3 you can do this just fine b/c you have the physical buttons around the screens. ;)