Circular Ref in Marco -caused strange behaviour

Last night in the middle of working through cue-2-cue, I was programming and we wanted to put a macro on a cue to take us to the next cue with a delay, no big deal. They were telling me which cue to go to and someone got the cue number mixed up and I ended up creating a circular reference.

Currently in List 4, Cue 549. Macro was GL4/549. No matter what I tried, I could not get the board to clear the macro. Could not go forward/back, goto, etc. Other parts of the app where responding, like I could open and close palettes, etc but for the life of me I could not clear out the reference. I essentially closed down the program (prayed that all of the changes were saved (I have auto backup enabled).

Forturnately, everything was fine when I restarted and the circular reference was gone.

What did I do wrong or not try to get out of the situation? It is a HOG3PC, latest release of the software, playback wing and program wing and two 15" touch screens.

Thanks,
Ross
  • Did you try opening the cue in spreadsheet view and navigating to the cell [set] and remove the data?

Regards,
  • No - I was just viewing the cue list with timing and trying to remove it from there. I did not even think of that. Just got flusterred - lots of people waiting around.
  • Yea true, working under pressure can be hard.. but something we have to adapt to in order to be a good programmer. Can you get a repro..? If you can repost here how to get it and try my method to see if that works.

Regards,
  • I don't think there was much you could have done besides log off/on or erase the comment macro from the cuelist window. When you executed this circular logic it more than likely killed playback so after deleting the macro you would probably need to open the processes window and restart playback as well.
  • Chris,

That seems exactly like what happened. Playback was dead. Everytime I deleted the macro and hit return it would reappear. Logging off and back on fixed the problem so that was good (the marco was gone). Just had about 3 minutes of scary time. Everyone was a little nervous because we have a preview show tonight and open on Thursday.

I will be keeping my system at the theatre for an extended time so that everyone can get more accustomed to it. All they had before I brought my stuff in was just dimming fixtures and no intelligents. Occasionally they would have some on rental for shows (but never had budget for it), but the have an old Expression (not sure what one) and it is not very friendly for moving lights. They love having all my stuff at their disposal (HOG3, 18 scrollers, 4 faderbeams, 6 LED fixtures, 10 S4 pars, about 40 other par cans (46s, 56s, & 64s), 4 procans, 2 pro wash, and 4 scanners), it is just new to everyone and I do this as a hobby (not a job) - so my programming skills are still developing. I have learned so much in the last couple of weeks - it has been fun/challenging/stressful/etc. The great part about it is that we are local community theatre and everyone is great to work with.

Now I just need to find 4 profile fixtures for my inventory to use there at the right price.

I am just happy to be involved and be creative without having to physically kill myself anymore (they take care of all the hanging, cabling, focusing, etc based upon the set/LD designs). I am acting as the LD for this show.

Ross
Related