More Rotary Encoders

AndrisAndris Registered User
I believe that in this age of media-based fixtures and displays, programming with a high degree of efficiency really demands more 'Hands On' control of parameters in real time. I think that the inclusion of more rotary encoders into the Hog 3 system would really help speed up the process of dealing with media servers or fixtures with on board media engines.
When the Hog 2 was designed, it really took the 'Less is More' philosophy for programming moving lights. That is all well and fine, but only for an era of fixtures with less than a couple dozen channels. Having 3-4 encoders made sense then.
Fast Forward to today and we have fixtures that you can only put one or two per universe and the need for more instant tactile control is quite apparent.
I find programming media servers is the slowest process to execute with many pages of wheelsets to wade through and adjust in turn. Having an external wing with a matrix of knobs all mapped out would make programming such beasts a walk in the park.

I'd like to see a wing with at least 16 wheels and some kind of nice display above each to indicate the parameters and values.

Thoughts on this?

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Humans with 16 fingers :)
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Maybe 3 or 4 more encoders could be nice......the real trick here is to set up your wheelsets in preferences to work better for your programming style.

Using media servers as an example....grouping things together such as XYZ Scale, position, and rotate all on different encoder "pages" is really helpful....I have several preference files that I use in different scenarios (which reminds me that I have to update the ones I keep public on my website)....once you make one that works well for you, then programming is very fast....even on only 4 encoders.

Like I said....I wouldn't be opposed to 3 or 4 more, but 16 is way too many in my opinion.
  • edited April 2009
    I've long joked that the number of encoders you want is always one more than the number you have right now.

Users with One Encoder (Expression) wanted two (Intensity and Rate).
    Friends of mine who use the small Avos with two tend to want three.
    Hog 2 (3 encoders) users wanted four.
    Hog 3 (4 encoders) users regularly tell me they want 5 "for doing shutters."

Where does it end? Too many encoders and the lighting console will start to look like a sound console...
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Too many encoders and the lighting console will start to look like a sound console...

True. What about just one more with an extra mask button. The mask button being "image" like it is on the vector with the encoder to go with it.

Regards,
    edited April 2009
    maybe a software-trick with a button to push that all the faders of a wing change in function of a "encoder-wheel", for quick settings. After quick settings with the faders push the button to go back in normal mode, and fine-adjusts with real wheels?
    Might be quicker/more efficient than development a new wing...

Peer
    edited April 2009
    That sounds good Peer.

Regards,
    edited April 2009
    no wheels on this sound-desk...
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Why is everyone so afraid of more real controls?
    Granted, 16 may be a little excessive, but at least double what you've got and it would make a big difference in programming speed.
    Personally I find the Virtuoso much faster to program media servers specifically due to the increased amount of real buttons and knobs.
    edited April 2009
    Andris wrote: »
    Personally I find the Virtuoso much faster to program media servers specifically due to the increased amount of real buttons and knobs.

Exactly the reason they are using a Virtuoso to program the servers for Eurovision. 35 catalysts and 8 hippos I think. There is also a second Virtuoso and an MA series 1. There may be more.. thats just what I have seen so far.

Regards,
  • ahelgorahelgor Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I´d always wanted a software trick that would temporarily turn the faders into shutter controls.. all 8 + rotation.. I do it manually with ifcb faders, but it would be really nice to have a function to do that! and as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, this could be done with other functions as well.
    edited April 2009
    I certainly think that developing a new product wouldn't be a good idea. What we are requesting could be done by software. The current platform is great, and we should add to it to move with the times.

Regards,
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2009
    I second Anders... I think there has been a thread about this in the past.
    USB Encoder wing is also something I would like.
  • stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Perhaps could we double the wheels number by using a key+wheel, for example I have the zoom on wheel 1 and using Beam+wheel 1 would change Focus.
  • mjmaltbiemjmaltbie Registered User
    edited May 2009
    Maybe 3 or 4 more encoders could be nice......the real trick here is to set up your wheelsets in preferences to work better for your programming style.

I agree with Marty. I program DLs and Axons on a weekly basis with an iPC. I don't feel the need for more wheels. Once you have the wheelsets set up to work for you it makes programming a lot faster. This is just my personal opinion, I know everyone has there own style of programming.

:hogsign:
  • rocitoprocitop Registered User
    edited May 2009
    I have read about these custom wheelsets but I cant find much about them in the manual. Other than playing around with them does any documentation exists?
    edited May 2009
    Mike, there are a set of customizable wheelsets here: http://www.flyingpig.com/support/hog3/downloads/library/index.shtml. I am sure it is in either the Hog manual or DL manual somewhere. I remember reading it... But I think setting up your own is the best option. Some people like Marty host thier preferences on thier website. May be worth taking a look.

Regards,
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited May 2009
    Mike,

As Joe mentions there are some pre-made wheelsets (they are also now included on the consoles. Just press Import from the preferences window and you will see them in the directory).

Unfortunately the Wheelset editor portion of the manual has never been written. You will find the Wheelset editor in the Preferences window. It is fairly easy to comprehend with some playing around. If you are using Axons, DL.2, DL.3, SHOWPIX or StudioPix, then I suggest you use the included wheelsets.