LED Flash

Christopher WrenChristopher Wren Registered User
Hello All,

Sometimes when transitioning into and out of offset Hue Effects with LED fixtures while also changing the base Hue of the fixtures, some of the lights randomly flash white during the cue transitions. Also the problem is unpredictable. When transitioning between the cues, sometimes it occurs sometimes not, and it doesn't always effect the same instruments. I only use Hue Saturation for all of my color, never CMY. If I seperate the effect into one cue and the base hue change into a seperate cue, the problem goes away, but this process can be time consuming when programming a large show. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited April 2009
    does this happen to all brand led's, or one specific brand?
  • Christopher WrenChristopher Wren Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I'm using Color Kinetics ColorBlaze 72 and 48 Units on this particular show. I know I've had this problem happen on previous shows, but I can't recall which units I was using.
    edited April 2009
    I've had the same thing with RGB-strips fom CLS ( happens with and without boosters / terminators on end of line ). I thought it was the device, but maybe it's in the desk?
    edited April 2009
    I just put a dmx meter on the line, and the spike is coming from the desk.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited April 2009
    If it is coming from the desk.. that is not good. Could this be hardware related or software? Are poeple seeing this on all consoles? Does it happen on 3PC with a widget? I dont have access to any consoles for a while, so I can't really test...

Regards,
    edited April 2009
    I had similar issues with an IPC about two weeks ago. In that situation I was using ColorBlast 12 fixtures though a City Theatrical Power/Data Supply. I didn't meter the dmx in that situation.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2009
    I did find bug #10517 logged that says "Applying a hue effect with a size >360 will take fixtures to white for a portion of the effect cycle, even when the saturation is set >0"

Could this be what you are running into?

Can you send me your show file and point me to specific cues to watch for? Send it to me via http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
    edited April 2009
    hi Brad,

for my shows it seems to be a random thing, in fixture/device and in time. Had shows with colorloops with CLS-strips in 18xRGB-fixture, and shows with Showtech MK2 pixeltrack's in mode 1. No exact que or timing to pin down, just sometime it happens...

Peer
    edited April 2009
    Just uploaded the file. You can see it occur on Cuelist 1 as you run from Cue 8 to Cue 10 (They are consecutive) on RGB LED Units, User Numbers 101-174. Once again, the white flashes do not always occur and it doesn't always happen to the same fixture.
    Thanks.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited April 2009
    SfeerPeer wrote: »
    for my shows it seems to be a random thing, in fixture/device and in time. Had shows with colorloops with CLS-strips in 18xRGB-fixture, and shows with Showtech MK2 pixeltrack's in mode 1. No exact que or timing to pin down, just sometime it happens...

I have a show coming soon with these fixtures in. I will test extensivly on 3PC, and both Road Hogs.

Regards,
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2009
    Thanks Christopher...

I have your show file and we will take a look.
    edited April 2009
    I just figured out the problem, and can recreate it over and over. On the LED fixtures, if I have my Hue (0 deg), and Sat (100%) in a cue, and then set the Hue (356>360 deg), and Sat (100%) in the next cue with a 4 sec fade in between cues, they all flash white simultaneously during the fade. When fanning a hue across several LED's this type of value change can happen often between cue transitions and is probably the real cause of the problem. Hope this helps.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited May 2009
    Excellent Chris. I can reproduce that as well. I will log a defect for this. It seems that the closer the hue values are on the colour picker the more often this white flash occurs.