More x.spot issues

I have another x.spot that keeps blowing one of the motor supply fuses. The fixture keeps running (lamp stays on and pan/tilt still works) but none of the internal functions seem to work (at least the dimmer doesn't) -- It also comes up on the display N1/N2/N3.

What could be causing this? It ran for like 2 weeks no problem, blew once, then fine for a while, yet blew twice today. :aargh4:
  • you may have a short somewhere in the harness to ground,
    I would take a long hard look at the harness and see if you can find any worn spots on the harness.
    Don't forget to look in the pan and tilt tubes.

If 1 of the 2 phase cards is causing it, it could be very tough to diagnose, because as soon as you unplug 1 to test, this lowers the draw, and then the fuse doesn't blow, even if the card you unplugged isn't the 1 causing the problem.

I am sure you have double checked, but I will mention it anyways, Make sure you replaced the fuse with 1 in the correct value.
    Good Luck!
    J.
  • Hrm. I changed the fuse out and it looks like it charred the spade connector that looked damaged (on the fuse holder) -- maybe it was just arching to the other fuse, grounding and shorting? I assume the other fuse controls the 3phase boards? All of my 2 phase stuff was out.
  • I don't know that shorting to the other fuse would cause it to blow,both fuses have the same voltage on them.
    It would be more likely that it shorted to the cover that goes over that part of the fixture. I have seen that happen once before, that cover does get pretty close to the fuses, and if the fuse holders are bent, you never know.

And you are correct, the other fuse does power the 2 3 phase boards, the CPU board and the Display board.
    J.
  • on a scale of 1 to don't even try, how hard is it going to be to replace the wiring harness? I've swapped all of the 2 phase modules to another fixture and the problem stays at this one .... I'd have to assume it's a harness issue?
  • Well,
    There are 3 harness's,
    One in the head, and in the base of the fixture, and one very short one that goes from the 9 pin connector on the head, to another 9 pin connector in the arm.
    the one in the head isn't terrible to replace, but the one to the base, is a bit of a pain, as you have to fish it through the yoke and tilt tube.
    I have always removed the head and yoke to do that one.
    Otherwise it is almost impossible.
    I would start with the head harness, and see if that helps.
    You very well may find the problem when you pull the old harness out.
    Start at the connector on the head above the fan plate and work your way back from there, just be careful with the routing, and making sure you know where everything goes, it will be helpful to have another fixture as a guide.
    Good Luck,
    J.
Related