Please kill Fixture Builder

AndrisAndris Registered User
Why does Fixture Builder still exist when it is known to cause serious problems???
I just had someone sit in for me who isn't as hog3 savvy as most of us here are and they inadvertently opened fixture builder to try to make a new profile and it nuked the desktop process, freezing the whole console and making a lot of people in the studio very unhappy while I got a frantic phone call and had to walk them through a restart.
Luckily the show file was not negatively affected, but it caused a lot of undue stress and general mistrust in the lighting control system.
Can the button be removed or access prohibited until the thing gets fixed?

Comments

• stephlightstephlight Registered User
    edited April 2009
    Not a good idea (for me) because it save me few days ago.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I will agree with it being removed. If I need a library, I will ask HES. Even simple ones. If the area of software causes problems (which it does) then it should not be there.

Regards,
    edited April 2009
    When there an error in the lib and you have 30 minutes to change it at 9 AM (Paris France) you are happy to have it ;)
    edited April 2009
    True. I think your partly right too. I wouldnt say to take the builder out permenently.. but on a temporary basis I think it is the right decision. I will test a library even before the start of programming.

Regards,
    edited April 2009
    I do it when it every time it is possible, but last time it was not.
    There is an advertising, guy should think before use it, but Perhaps we could have a key to open it (Like 666 :sasmokin:)
  • rosswillrosswill Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited April 2009
    How about removing the app from the console, and having it as an external or online version to build the libraries?

Ross
    edited April 2009
    That could work. A number of other manufacturers do a similar thing.

Regards,
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I think it should stay in...it has been invaluable to me on more than one occasion when there just isn't time to get one made via development.

There are warnings that pop up already....if the operator chooses to ignore the warnings then that is really the problem......if the sign says "Dead End" and the driver plows forward anyways....then the driver is at fault....not the road....
    edited April 2009
    +1 with marty
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited April 2009
    I agree with Marty.
  • AndrisAndris Registered User
    edited April 2009
    While I understand the need for a fixture creating application, the plain fact that there is essentially a 'Crash Console' button on the desk inherently makes the console unstable.
    Anything on a mission-critical piece of equipment that tells you "Proceed at your own risk" is a really big problem and should not be made accessible until it is fixed!
    The problem is NOT on the user end where the option for system failure exists in the first place.
    edited April 2009
    True, was this not the reason that there are certain toolbars you cannot access if you are not HES staff because they are potentially dangerous. I think an external app would be better. After all, the majority of programmers will take thier laptop or palm top to the show site wont they?

Regards,
  • MarkScottMarkScott Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I agree with Marty.It is to useful to get rid of. Maybe there should be a preference to turn it off for those who don't want it.... though if you don't use it... it isn't a problem so that may be redundant....

Mark