Road Hog usb widget extra universes

I'm thinking of buying a Roadhog at mo. Can you use usb super widget to add more universes to road hog? or indeed single widgets?
Mick
  • So, what if, say for example...

Someone tapped into the Road Hog, with the internal workings, fitted a tiny ethernet hub into the desk, where the network cable is (yes I saw it), and connected the cable back via the hub, but also mounted a chassis Ethernet socket onto the desk... for example..

Naturally, this would avoid waranty etc etc, but as the desk is basically a Hog 3, and it treats the first 4 universes as a DP, rather than fixed, and it runs on Standard Hog 3 software, and hasn't disabled the networking - would it be technically possible to use a DP?

Hypathetically, of course ;)
  • :mad:
    Ahh s...ht, thats pretty lame, if they can trust a pc with no nicely trimmed embedded windows to run 8 universes over usb, then silly me i taught the roadhog could do the same, as a matter of interest has anyone ever tried adding an extra usb to dmx widget? Sorry but quite disspointed with this, 4 universes gets eaten up quickly these days and if its a case of money dmx widgets aren't cheap, so it should be good for high end...... oh welll
  • [quote=Mick Murray;36951]:mad:
    as a matter of interest has anyone ever tried adding an extra usb to dmx widget?

No, but I am tempted to open it up, stick in the Ethernet hub, and try and make a DP work with it... I'll have to wait til next time I in the warehouse for that one.
  • I highly doubt that wil work. Do you not think HES are slightly more cleaver than that. The console will probably "know" it is a RH and not a Full Boar because the BIOS will tell it. Does it have an ethernet card...? Not to mention some things are barred in the software. Sorry, but if you want to expand universes, you will need a Full Boar. Even if it did by some miracle work..HES probably will not like you and your warrenty will be void because you have gone beyond what you should be doing with the console.

Regards,
  • The Road Hog is sold at its low price point due to the fact that it is locked at 4 universes of DMX and has NO networking abilities. The XPe image is unique for the Road Hog and does not enable the networking nor USB DMX expansion abilities. Connecting anything to the internal Ethernet will not gain anything, but as stated will void your warranty. Furthermore, connecting USB DMX widgets will not result in additional output.

If you desire more universes or networking abilities, then we have the Road Hog Full Boar and the Wholehog 3 consoles available with these functionalities.

And before anyone asks, the XPe images recognize the console type and only allow installation on the correct console type. You can not install the XPe image for a Full Boar on a Road Hog or vice versa.
  • The Hog3PC application has platform based hard coded exceptions in place that limit console functionality and prevent output expansion. In this case, the first practical issue you would run into is that there is no user interface on the Road Hog to choose and configure the network adapter for IP address settings, DHCP, or even the console's net number or port number.
  • Thanks Brad and Chris. I knew there would be things to stop this. They are interesting facts to know.

Regards,
  • Why is it possible to use hog net out of a PC but not a Road hog. I think the development of a usb to hog net would open additional income in the fact that it would make visualizers more compatible with the road hog putting the money in highends pocket instead of a third party in having to convert dmx to artnet. Most visualizers accept hog net. As well it would give an upgrade option to the road hog but requiring the purchase of a DP 8000 to be able to get any type of DMX protocol out of the road hog making it a trimmed down Whole hog 3. It would also open up the networking capabilities for remote access. This will still place the console in the same bracket that it is still in but giving more then the HogPC version.
Related