HighLight/LowLight Questions...

Hi All,
I'm still new to Hogs, so I'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong, or if the console is doing something wrong...I have been trying to setup my own HighLight/LowLight palettes on a RoadHog w/ Latest software, but they don't seem to act like i'd expect them to. I've stored intensity and color into the palettes, and recorder as Per Type. When i grab a group of lights and hit HighLight, they all seem to do the HighLight thing properly, but as soon as I hit NEXT, every other light besides the one selected goes black. The LowLight palette is stored to intensity %100 and Congo color (it changes for every light, but thats the basic concept). Now, if i start over and select a group of lights, press any given palette (or OPEN a palette), and then press highlight, then everything works as expected (even if the palette I randomly select only contains color information). Is this by design? Or am i doing something wrong? Or did i break something else on this console already? Thanks for the help, and sorry for the incoherent question, but it was a wierd problem to figure out.
  • Lowlight only works for fixtures with intensity on stage. If you select a group of lights and hit highlight and then start nexting through the selection, the lowlight palette has nothing to put into lowlight.

But if you have fixtures onstage coming from a cue or from values in the programmer and then use your same highlight/lowlight, you will see the fixtures outside of your selection that are currently outputting onstage go to the lowlight palette intensity and colour.
  • So the LowLight palette wont put intensity into a light no matter what, even if i recorded the LowLight palette with intensity?

EDIT:
    Or am i understanding highlight/lowlight wrong, and HighLight is applied to whatever lights you have selected, while lowlight is applied to every light that has intensity but isn't selected?
  • I think my last comment was misleading and actually wrong in some respects.

Here's the real deal.

Highlight is applied to the lights you have selected in the current editor such as the programmer or a cue editor. Lowlight is applied to lights that have values in that same editor but are not selected. And here is where I was wrong earlier: Fixtures don't have to have intensity onstage to be put into the lowlight palette. They just have to be included in the current editor (any parameter will do). This means parameter values being output by playbacks are not effected by lowlight unless they too are included in the current editor.

So, the simple and correct answer to your question is that lowlight palettes will put intensity into a fxiture as long as that fixture has values in the current editor and is not selected.

I am sorry for the confusion. I promise to think a little more critically the next time I advise.
  • Thanks for the answer, solved my problem just fine...it wasn't that you didn't respond coherently, its just that i'm still stuck in the Avo frame of mind :)
Related