developing alternate human interfaces on hog

Has anyone tried to develop tactile interfaces for Hog? I am wondering if it would be possible to build a MAX msp GUI interface or some other programming platform to interface with Hog lighting controller via midi or artnet. one general idea is to have a touchscreen with a visual representation of a lighting array which you could control with gestures like finger painting.
also is there an SDK for the hog platform or a way of modifying or creating windows?
i would like to build chases which you could drag your finger across a rig and have interactive tactile control over. The overall goal will be to create a specific effect for a film but i would like to develop it as something other people may enjoy using as well.

many thanks
-one small fish
joe abraham dean
set lighting console programmer
  • Joe,
    The current Hog 3 system is very limited in the area you speak of. There is no real MIDI implementation that will allow you to interface to another control surface. You are better off developing your own custom system using an environment like vvvv, which is similar to MAX/MSP and handles DMX, MIDI, and Artnet. It is very powerful and nearly limitless in the manner which you can control things.
  • This is interesting. Despite it could be done, I think we may end up seeing it in future control systems rather than the current. Good concept though, it will be good to hear what others have to say...
  • Many thanks for the link vvvv is a great start. does anyone else find the need for tactile gestural control to be of any value in lighting? I guess one further step would be integrating a form of timeline based recording of DMX output. I have had limited experience with the ELS show store dmx recorder but i am not sure if you can use the data stored by the ELS to create cues in real time or i should say programming time.
    cheers all
    -joe
  • Really interesting, I love this idea. It would be interesting to select fixture by showing it with the finger!
  • mmmmmmm...
    I love the idea of a tactile gestural performance mode for controlling a 'light' show, especially as I integrate more multimedia sources, led fixtures, cmy based moving lights, digital spots etc controlled from the hog platform consoles.
    The lighting/visual control becomes integrated into a dance performance by dance movements, rather than programming and playback via timecode or 'next cue'...

And all done with Hog control power...

Hopefully we can see some of this before Hog4!

Ciao,
    Craig
  • Sounds a little Vista-ish to me.

How about at least some TCP/IP Command line functions. Or a way to network into the console without using a secondary PC.
  • [quote=edwardhodge;37533]Sounds a little Vista-ish to me.

I really hope we never have to deal with Vista embedded on a console...

[quote=edwardhodge;37533]
    How about at least some TCP/IP Command line functions. Or a way to network into the console without using a secondary PC.

Could you elaborate a bit more on this Edward. I am intrugied as to what you mean..?

Regards,
  • That would be interesting functionality as well but totally not what this thread is about. Vista is an operating system with its own limits and problems. What i am talking about is a method of programming which would separate the programmer from the code, and the hard entries associated with encoders, keystrokes and command line entries.

I agree with you on some level, if i understand your suggestion. I beta tested the GrandMA I think it was like serial number 11, and my strongest suggestion to ACT lighting was to allow the creation of macros and commands via a script editor, so that you could recreate a complex series of commands via cut and paste. this is still not implemented in lighting consoles for some reason. why? who knows. I think that every cue should have a line of code that could be modified in a text editor and reintroduced to a show via the web, or a simple cut and paste function from my iphone (sarcasm- yuc yuc, no cut and paste yet for iphone). I love the MA for many reasons but these days I am a Hog programmer for many reasons.

and as DrEad stated "The lighting/visual control becomes integrated into a dance performance by dance movements, rather than programming and playback via timecode or 'next cue'..."

This would be more of a conductors approach to programming, I could not see a conductor effectively conducting an orchestra via command line entries or copy and paste.

Lets think outside the code and look at a rig for what it is objects in space with unique IDs and functions, individual players if you will. I would love to be able to grab the fixtures with one gesture and point them with another and color them etc..make a chase that excludes lights that my fingers touch, or includes them.... maybe learn timing from these gestures and so on.

all of these things are possible today at an experimental level but nothing that has been packaged.
    thank you for you posting on this Edward Hodge.
  • it`s not Vista from Microsoft that edwardhodge ment,
    he is talking about the Jands Vista Console !!
  • DOH!!
    I have never heard of Jands Vista until today. I thank you for the direction Just-Lights wish i could buy you all a pint.

Vista seems interesting I am playing with the demo now. I am just not into transitioning into another platform after investing in H3 when H3 is a viable platform. Barco is a strong player with strong R&D emphasis I look forward to what HES/Barco will implement. I am a big fan of open source development and expansion of ideas too though.

I bet the HES tech support guys would be driven nuts by an open ended architecture I could imagine the calls and disclaimers already.

:trink26: ignorance is bliss when tis folly to be wise.
  • [quote=lumen;37646]
    I bet the HES tech support guys would be driven nuts by an open ended architecture I could imagine the calls and disclaimers already.

The Maxxyz used to be quite a bit more "open" than it is now. Remember that picture of H2PC on a Maxxyz...? I think a similar thing may have happened, so now they have locked it down a lot more.

Regards,
Related