How to make cool effects w Mac 2000 Profile ? IPC

djkermiedjkermie Registered User
Ok by the grace of God i was allowed to start programming on a hog ipc and did a knockout job on 7 shows already , bummer is i have a couple of effects my mentor taught me and now he "quit" teachin<<< think he jealous now anyway. I once made the macs suck in and out slowly and had control on the jog wheel of how fast the rate was.... I think it was in beam fx? i simply picked the macs that i wanted in the group dir then picked the effect in the position dir that i created and wala, but now i dont have it anymore he took it lol can anyone help me with creating this look again ?

The other question is where can i get shortcuts or easy ways to make movment effects also, so far all i have been able to do is make an effect like a circle and mess with it in the effects engine "BY GUESS WORK " and save the effect in the position view .. I am a beginner and respectfully request assistiance.

Sincerely Mike the noob LD lol:):confused:

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited April 2009
    I was given a few tips by a number of people around here, so I hope they dont mind me sharing!

[Effect] [Effect] OR [Open] [Effect]

This will open the effects directory. Select your fixtures, if you want a ballyhoo for example...

Brad Schiller's Tip:

Select all of your fixtures and put them in an audience focus. Put them in a ">circle" effect, this is already stored in the effects directory. Then select half of your fixtures (Odd) and put them in the opposite "<circle". Now select all and adjust the size and rate to something you require. Then us the select/shuffle to randomise the selection order and fan the offset. This should give you a nice looking Ballyhoo.

Jon Griffin's tip:

Jon told me an aweful lot about the effects engine and how he uses it. The email acually filled 2 sides of A4 paper, so I will no reiterate it. However an important part of the movement effect creation is where you place the fixtures to start with. Where you place them will be the "centre" point of the movement.

Last, but by no means least, Ross William's:

Again, I spoke to Ross about how, as a professional programmer he uses the effects engine. He reminded me of the early days of Automated lighting where the programmer, for Genesis for example, had a rig of 52 VLs, one control desk and only TWO playbacks. No fancy effects engine or hundreds of cues, just two playbacks. So in the short the moral is to uses chases. He said to me, and he is right, that having a chase instead of a effect can be better becuase you have more control over the chase, you can tap sync it for example, bounce forwards and back in the chases, change direction on the fly, etc etc.

The last peice of advice I constantly remember from all 3 of those guys is.. Keep it simple!

Hope nobody minded me sharing those! Regards,
    edited April 2009
    Just a further note, when recording effects, make sure you record the type you want. What I mean is if you create a Ballyhoo and want to be able to use it on other fixtures than the 2Ks, record it as "Global". People often forget about "Global", "Per Fixture Type" and "Per Fixture".

Hope this helps,
  • djkermiedjkermie Registered User
    edited April 2009
    the global feature I DID NOT EVEN KNOW ABOUT and i was thinking of how to do that today on the board , ill try the effects tommorow If ANYONE HAS MORE IN THE SAME FORMAT IE SHORT SIMPLE and easy to understand ID LOVE MORE IDEAS ON EFFECTS !!!! THANKS SOO MUCH

MIkeeee:outtahere:
    edited April 2009
    Well playing with the engine would be a good thing. Pre made effects can also be applied and editted quickly.
  • RobfulRobful Registered User
    edited April 2009
    The last peice of advice I constantly remember from all 3 of those guys is.. Keep it simple!

Funny, that's what we keep telling trainees in my day job (nothing to do with lighting or entertainment)! In fact, it seems to be a recurring theme in this day and age.

Thanks for sharing the tips, Joe.

Rob
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited April 2009
    The K.I.S.S. rule is one of the best I have ever learned.
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid
  • djkermiedjkermie Registered User
    edited May 2009
    New question .... How can i get a 2k to follow a specified path in a cue . like i want the gobo to go up then down to specified points and continue the path in the same cue ???
    edited May 2009
    djkermie wrote: »
    to go up then down to specified points

Have a play with the "over". That should do close to what you describe.

Regards,
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited May 2009
    djkermie wrote: »
    New question .... How can i get a 2k to follow a specified path in a cue . like i want the gobo to go up then down to specified points and continue the path in the same cue ???

How about writing a separate cuelist with each cue being the points you want to start at and go to.

Call that cuelist from the main cuelist using the macro field and "GL" for Go List.

GL1 for cuelist 1