DP2000 Re-Addressing itself

jksorgjksorg Registered User, Hog Beta
Hi Everyone. Here is the system that we are running currently:

Hog3 Rack Mount - running as primary console and server V3.0.1
Hog3 Full Console - running as programming console V3.0.1
5-DP2000's
1- I/O Processor

Upon startup today, the DP2000 that should have been set to Net #3 had changed itself to #5. This unit is located in a area that would be difficult for anyone to just get to and re-address it.

Has anyone had this issue? Thanks.

Comments

• jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited March 2009
    I blame Tom....

j/k

The only thing I have seen recently was my DP8K readdressing itself from #3 to #1. Basically, it defaulted.

This was 2 versions ago and haven't seen it since.

Was it just the 1 unit that changed it's number?
  • jksorgjksorg Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited March 2009
    Yep. Just that one. BTW Jon, I blame Tom too!
  • edited March 2009
    When a DP's configuration gets corrupt, it will default to 1. This can happen, although not very often. I'm not aware of anything that would cause it to change to 5 though.

You can change the net number from the console as well as from the DP itself. Is it possible one of the operators accidentally re-addressed it in the network window? If you have the network window open, and you hilight the netnum, you can change it remotely.
    edited March 2009
    Wow Eric...I don't think I realized you could do it from the network window... That's a nice piece of information to know. I always thought it had to be done at the DP's.

Thanks! :headbang:
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Most of the DPs config can be done from the Network Status window....pin codes....backlight times....etc,etc.....
    edited March 2009
    I knew about the Status and pin codes, but I didn't know you could change the Net Numbers. Thank Eric! That's great info.

In this case, there was already one addressed to #5. So this one that had re-addressed itself to 5 was idle and hadn't connected to the server.
    edited March 2009
    jksorg wrote: »
    In this case, there was already one addressed to #5. So this one that had re-addressed itself to 5 was idle and hadn't connected to the server.

Have you set static IPs for the DPs or are you letting DHCP assign them?
    edited March 2009
    DHCP is running on the Rack mount that is the server and yes, they are getting their IP from it. This is on a dark network with nothing else attached to it
    edited March 2009
    Is this a system that runs all the time, or do you shut it down periodically?
    edited March 2009
    The rack mount server and DP's are on all the time as the building has show control inputs for turning on and off lights periodicly throughout the day. The client console is only on for shows in the building.
    edited March 2009
    I am wondering if there is a DHCP lease time expiration issue here?

If two DPs get assigned the same IP at different times due to the DHCP lease expiring....could one reset itself and copy the settings from another?

Pure speculation on my part, but you never know.

You might try giving your DPs all static IPs. I personally do this as standard practice, and only let network clients that come and go have IPs assigned via DHCP.
    edited March 2009
    I think you might be on to something there Marty. I also usually also do static IP's, but in this instance, I found that the DP2000's were having issues taking the updates on static IP's. When they were on DHCP, the problem ceased. Might be just dumb luck.

I think I will go ahead and switch them back over to static IP's in the next few days. I've got to do the 3.0.2 upgrade as well. Thanks for all the ideas everyone!
    edited March 2009
    I still blame Tom....
    :D:D:D:D:D

Let us know what you find Kevin...I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. Is this the same one that reset during the big cheese event? Because then you might REALLY be on to something.