wing over internet

SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
is it possible to operate a playback-wing connected to a hog over ethernet ?

that way you can connect 2 wings in 2 different halls to 1 main hog in f.e. a storageroom and operate local without extra hardware

Peer

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited March 2009
    I dont think so. I hope you mean inter-net also. However you could have a network running on cat5 with two small hog 3 PC computers and run them as a client, then add the wings. (I think this is do-able) I am also pretty sure that you cant do ethernet with just the wing.
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited March 2009
    no, I mean just as a very, very long extended usb-cable.
    No need to go on the internet, just want to keep it local.
    It would save me an extra hog (or laptop + widget ).

for installation it could be great, because the house- tech's would only have a wing each hall to operate, and the console would be in a safe place

Peer
    edited March 2009
    on the other hand, maybe a touchscreen each hall can do the trick.
    What would be the max. distance for a ELO-touchscreen or: how far can you extend USB and VGA ?

Peer
    edited March 2009
    If your talking about extended USB.. maybe. But I am sure like all cable, USB is going to start loosing signal the further you take it.... Speed may also be an issue.
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2009
    The better thing to do would be to log in a H3PC client and connect the wing to that.

Hope this helps. :)
    edited March 2009
    Marty, I was going to suggest that, but he doesnt want another console or computer, just the wing unfortunutly..
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited March 2009
    do a google search for usb over ethernet and you'll find some options...

http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/ubox.html

if you also want screens at the remote locations you can try kvm over ethernet (well "kvm over IP" gives better results). I've used kvm over ethernet once and while it worked, I was not very impressed with the signal quality reaching the monitor (slight fuzziness). It may have just been a cheap product.
    edited March 2009
    Does the wing even have an ethernet port..? I am sure they dont support ethernet...
    edited March 2009
    It doesn't matter Joe there are a number of devices that will allow you to use a Cat-5 cable as a "dry-line" and put adapters at either end.

This could work, but you will probably need to plug in the wing to AC power......and if you have to do that, I'd rather just network in a client over WiFi at that point.
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Marty.
    edited March 2009
    @ marty: but can you login with 2 or 3 remote clients at the same time? Halls will (most of the time) have shows at the same time...
    edited March 2009
    You can have one show file on the server. Then your seperate halls can just use different parts of the same showfile. E.G. have 3 seperate cuelists on it.
    edited March 2009
    SfeerPeer wrote: »
    @ marty: but can you login with 2 or 3 remote clients at the same time? Halls will (most of the time) have shows at the same time...

Absolutely....this is not a problem.
    edited March 2009
    good to know.
    but then sadley there are no faders unless I attach extra wings. So the most simple option is to have 2 roadhogs I guess ( and also safe to use )

thanx,
    Peer
    edited March 2009
    true.....I do find it a better practice to keep separate shows on separate consoles....especially if they are occuring in totally different areas. That way if a desk goes down for some reason, then the other is not affected.
  • Frankv1234Frankv1234 Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Hi peer,

How are you doing if you still working on this issue. I've done this before for a exebition and it is not that difficult.

But there are some issues you have to think about. for example the choose can only be on one of the wings at the time for releases. If it are 2 simple shows this is no problem.

Call me and lets talk about it. sounds like a nice project :):)

Greetings

Frank Verbeek