preparing footage for DL.3

bennoklandtbennoklandt Registered User
edited March 2009 in DL.3/DL.2
I am trying to figure out how to prepare footage for 5 DL.3´s in combustion, to create one image...is it possible to feed the server with an Image (mpg2) with this measurements: 5120 x 768 or do I have to split up the clip first and put it together on server side?

cheers

Benno

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Why do you need an image size so large? The largest collage pixel space (8x1) is only 2624x294??

As long as you stay under 800,000 pixels total, the system will be able to cut the image up for you.

You really need to make sure that you have reviewed the custom content creation specs found here:

http://www.highend.com/support/digital_lighting/CreatingCustomContent.asp

Hope this helps. :)
    edited March 2009
    Be careful of using Combustion...I'm not sure that it will be able to properly encode MPEG-2s. You may end up having to run it through another program after you create itsuch as TMPEG or Episode to get a proper file.
  • bennoklandtbennoklandt Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Thx Marty, I got Episode, that helps tremendous...even though I had customer service to sent me a new version of the compressor plug in. I start of with animation codec and dump the files from fcp into compressor to get mpg2 files. BTW, is there a specific setup in Episode? I just followed the rules on the HES.

cheers

Benno
    edited March 2009
    For the Image size, I don´t quite understand, what would be the biggest size for a 5 projector collage?

Benno
    edited March 2009
    Not all that sure, I use TMPEG personally, but I know that Episode can also do the job.

As long as you follow the guidelines you'll be fine:

1 - All I-Frames ONLY in GOP (no P's or B's)
    2 - Elementary Stream (not System Stream)
    3 - Set bitrate to be Constant @ 20,000,000 bps (no variable rates!)
    4 - No audio
    5 - Use only 4:2:0 colorspace
    6 - progressive only (not interlaced)
    7 - check frame rate (29.97 is most common)
    8 - Pixel size not to exceed 800,000 (multiply width by height)

All of these are important, if you cannot meet one of these requirements specifically it could mean the difference between your file working or causing the whole server to lock up.

Hope this helps :)
    edited March 2009
    For the Image size, I don´t quite understand, what would be the biggest size for a 5 projector collage?

Benno

Keeping in mind that each DL has a native resolution of 1024x768 and that there is about a 20% overlap in the blended areas....

5 across by 1 high (5x1) would be 2048x361
    1 across by 5 high (1x5) would be 512x1536

All the collage image sizes are in the DL.3 manual found here:

http://www.highend.com/pub/products/digital_lighting/DL3/DL3Manual_V1-4_9-18.pdf
    edited March 2009
    Thank´s a lot Marty, thats what I needed to know, all single footage is rendered but all collages have to be done tonight...client presentation is on sunday:))

cheers

Benno
    edited March 2009
    Glad to help....hope it all goes well for you.

Please ask if you have any other questions!
    edited March 2009
    I will, have a good night!
    I will let you know how it went..

Benno