release individual fixtures or parameters

tedcooktedcook Registered User
Correct me if there is already a way to do this.

You can assert new fixtures / parameters into a cuelist at any cue, I think it would be nice to also be able to release individual fixtures / parameters at any cue. That is they are completely expelled from further cues and no longer have tracking values (unless you explicity bring them back in again).

What do you think? Useful?

Comments

• Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited February 2009
    tedcook wrote: »
    Useful?

yes I suppose it is.

Question: does parking already do this? By the way, this isnt rhetorical.. I dont know the answer, just a thought... Maybe one of the HES staff can elaborate.
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure what parking would have to do with this. Here's the scenario I had in mind: You have a master cuelist for your show. Midway through you want the ability to do some random stuff with your movers on other cuelists. When that is done you want to continue with the master cuelist. Currently, as soon as the master takes control again it re-asserts the tracked values for the movers, but maybe you don't want it to do that immediately. If you could release the movers values from the main cuelist before the randomness, the transition back into the main could be smoother.

Just one scenario, maybe there are more.
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited February 2009
    When I mentioned parking.. I thought you wannted to get rid of the fixtures and tracking values for your entire show.I understand now why parking wouldnt cover what you are asking for.

Maybe what you want could be done with a keystroke macro with a delay time on the macro... Even if this did get logged, I think the macros would come first wouldnt they? So if it is possible with the macros, you have your request. What do you think?
  • srautanesrautane Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited February 2009
    tedcook wrote: »
    Correct me if there is already a way to do this.

You can assert new fixtures / parameters into a cuelist at any cue, I think it would be nice to also be able to release individual fixtures / parameters at any cue. That is they are completely expelled from further cues and no longer have tracking values (unless you explicity bring them back in again).

What do you think? Useful?

It is possible to have off values in cues (manual page 220), but I think it's not fully implemented. It's not possible to record a off/release value (like in GMA). So, something like you are looking for is under work, I think.
    Though, If I understood correctly you are looking for some kind of partial release which can be controlled "realtime" -> Select fixtures/parameters and they are released from the list you choose, but other lists can control them. Not a bad idea at all, but can get quite complicated if you have several fixtures released from many lists.
  • tedcooktedcook Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, the off functionality is basically what I'm looking for, but in a more intentional and flexible way than the 'merging a cue-only' method. I wasn't aware that GMA already did this, and I guess that answers the question that at least some people find it useful.
  • ChrisTallChrisTall Registered User, DL Beta
    edited February 2009
    I suppose you could have your "random look cuelists" set to a higher priority.
    That way the main cuelist will not take them back.

If you want them to go back to the main cuelist then you would release the random lists.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Chris,

Your suggestion of higher priority lists is exactly what I was going to suggest...
    edited February 2009
    Brad,

I believe a detail to watch out for is that when you release the lists what is the current state of the fixtures in the main cuelist.
    edited February 2009
    The priority way is a one possibility. I think the reason why release/off value method is also used is that you can have parts in your list where other lists can take control without priority change. Also, the main list can take the control back without the need of releasing "the random look" list. It is done by the main list.
    One interesting way to do this is the Compulite way. Though, I haven't tried it, but in theory it should work also. Vector has a possibility to have skip tracking cues, where you can set cues where tracking stops and starts again...and I think that gives also an option for the other lists to take control without priority changes.
    edited February 2009
    Sami,

I'm thinking it would depend on what the situation is.

If it was something you did every time at the same place in the sequence of the show, versus something you want to have on stand by "just in case".

I would probably solve them differently.
    edited February 2009
    Cat,

I agree. I just wanted to point out there's a few philosophies how to handle priority/hierarchy of lists.