H3 and Colour web

Has anyone had any experience controlling colour web with the H3??

got a production coming up which i may push to hire some, can you still get good effects/,ooks without a media server??

Mike
  • [quote=nunny;34597]
    got a production coming up which i may push to hire some, can you still get good effects/,ooks without a media server??

Well depending on how big your wall is, I think you may find it harder and more time consuming without a server...
  • yes, a couple of years ago.... 60 sections, taking up 6 Universe.. ask your questions as i have used it without and with a media server (140 Sections).

very simple and quick anyway you go....
  • [quote=glen010;34608]yes, a couple of years ago.... 60 sections, taking up 6 Universe.. ask your questions as i have used it without and with a media server (140 Sections).

very simple and quick anyway you go....

Out of pure interest from a pro, Glen, What are the differences between with a server and without. Is it alot harder? :poke:

Thanks,
  • you can get great results out of a low-res pixel grid like the Colorweb if you make smart use of the effects engine, and think thoroughly about the groups you set up before you start programming. my best advise is to reserve some time to plan, and then input, your groups. this will take some serious number crunching, but I promise you it will pay off. set-up as much groups as possible using combinations of grouping, odd/evens, random and more, as well as groups per section of CW, per line horizontal/ vertical, etc, etc. An organized mind will yield an organized layout...!

the amount of different shapes you can achieve with the effects engine is rather limited, but if you use several types of off-set, you will still achieve a very diverse set of looks from the desk.

as to Joe's question: a media server will allow you to project actual "movies" onto a pixel array, that would take a LOT of time to program using just DMX. as a media server is operated - to some extent- just like a moving head, you could potentially have as much as 255 different (moving) looks (e.g. a pulsing starfield) from just a single channel in a well-stocked media server. Add to this the ability to colour/ rotate/ enlarge (zoom) etc these looks as you would mnipulate a beam in a spotlight, and you can imagine how much faster using a media server could be.
    However, if all you're looking for (as either a design choice or economical necessity) is waves of variable colour, intensity and speed, the effects engine can do great things, including some stuff that a media server would be hard pressed to do. the thing is, media servers need to be pre-loaded with content in order to be used from a console, and you might find that not all content is as nice to look at on a lo-res array as a simple offset blue-over-red sinewave...

one more usefull thing to know about the colorweb:
    the individual RGB-cells are ordered in a snakelike sequence: for the 16-cell section, you'd have a line of four left to right, then underneath it a line of four right to left, etc. like so:
    01-02-03-04
    08-07-06-05
    09-10-11-12
    16-15-14-13
    =next section=
    17-18-19-20
    24-23-22-21
    25-26-27-28
    32-31-30-29

etc, etc...

Be sure to ask your supplier about their actual configuration per section...
  • Thanks Erik... only just got online in Moscow.. saved me a bit of typing.... Joe you have your answer....
  • Im assuming that colour web is fairly easy to set up, certain number of PSU's per sheet and self adressing Led similar to colour block DB4's??
  • A 250mm pitch Colorweb PSU controls 10 sections of web (16 LED units per section at 3 channels (RGB) each) thereby using 480 DMX-channels. the PSU requires power and DMX-in, and that's it. there is no DMX-thru connector.

I don't know the 125 mm pitch variety, I assume it's something similar...just using LOADS more channels...
Related