Forum Software Upgrade!

SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
edited February 2009 in Misc. Discussion
We've gone through and done a major upgrade on the forum software today.

If you notice anything out of the ordinary in how the forums are behaving or if there are missing icons/graphics anywhere please let us know so we can correct them.

Thanks.
Scott

Comments

• tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited February 2009
    SBlair;34439 said:
    We've gone through and done a major upgrade on the forum software today.

If you notice anything out of the ordinary in how the forums are behaving or if there are missing icons/graphics anywhere please let us know so we can correct them.

Thanks.
    Scott
    Behaving perfectly so far . . . I hadn't even noticed a change!

- Tim
  • samuraidsamuraid Registered User
    edited February 2009
    You are probably already aware of this, but everyone's real names are no longer shown below their username in the postbit.

EDIT: Also, there are 5 custom user profile fields in each user profile that don't have specific names ("extra_1", "extra_2", etc...)
  • SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Actually I wasn't aware of those. I'll take a look at them. Thanks!
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited February 2009
    samuraid;34446 said:
    You are probably already aware of this, but everyone's real names are no longer shown below their username in the postbit.

EDIT: Also, there are 5 custom user profile fields in each user profile that don't have specific names ("extra_1", "extra_2", etc...)

I have had these since I started my account. I dont think they are new..
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited February 2009
    my rss-feed keeps telling me I have 5 new posts.....
    edited February 2009
    SfeerPeer;34461 said:
    my rss-feed keeps telling me I have 5 new posts.....

I like to keep on top of read and un-read post by using the "forums read" at the bottom of the home page.
    edited February 2009
    Added the Display name back into the Postbit and also relabeled the 'extra_#' lines in the profile back to what they originally were for.

I never use RSS feeds myself. Joe and Sfeer, can you tell me more detail about what issues you're seeing there?
  • SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited February 2009
    it's solved, must have been an error in my safari-browser

Peer
    edited February 2009
    Right, just had a small issue with the forum home page showing a read/unread issue. I have read the forums once, marked them as read and left the website completely. I come back, the library requests forums shows that steve posted in the pandoras box topic. I had already read this topic and was intrigued to see what had been posted as extra. The forum home page said the last post there was 7 minutes ago. I go into the topic and there is the OP and steves post, however his post is 27 minutes old... do you see the problem?
    edited February 2009
    I'm not seeing the issue here. Might be a browser issue. Which one are you on? Using IE7 here.
  • tadawsontadawson Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Joe Bleasdale;34531 said:
    Right, just had a small issue with the forum home page showing a read/unread issue. I have read the forums once, marked them as read and left the website completely. I come back, the library requests forums shows that steve posted in the pandoras box topic. I had already read this topic and was intrigued to see what had been posted as extra. The forum home page said the last post there was 7 minutes ago. I go into the topic and there is the OP and steves post, however his post is 27 minutes old... do you see the problem?
    Perhaps a spam post was deleted? I think someone mentioned earlier, that that will still reset the last-post time, and cause you to see new that forum as having a new post, even if it has been deleted . . .

- Tim
    edited February 2009
    Im using firefox. I think spam may have been the isseue, I have seen that before.

thanks
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited February 2009
    there seems to be some inconsistency among the cache-control and pragma directives; the HTTP response headers allow private, but the duplicate directives in the meta/template tags want no-cache...

the way vBulletin has chosen to signal cache control satisfies most browsers, especially by including max-age and expires 0 in the respose headers. i hope it helps:

REQUEST: **************\nGET /forum/index.php HTTP/1.1\r\n
    Host: http://www.vbulletin.com\r\n
    Accept: */*\r\n
    \r\n
    RESPONSE: **************\nHTTP/1.1 200 OK\r\n
    Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 09:01:16 GMT\r\n
    Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat)\r\n
    X-boxen: web1\r\n
    X-Powered-By: PHP/5.2.6\r\n
    Expires: 0\r\n
    Cache-Control: private, post-check=0, pre-check=0, max-age=0\r\n
    Pragma: no-cache\r\n
    X-UA-Compatible: IE=7\r\n
    Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1\r\n
    Set-Cookie: bblastvisit=1233997276; expires=Sun, 07-Feb-2010 09:01:16 GMT; path=/forum/\r\n
    Set-Cookie: bblastactivity=0; expires=Sun, 07-Feb-2010 09:01:16 GMT; path=/forum/\r\n
    Transfer-Encoding: chunked\r\n
    \r\n
    381\r\n
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN\" \"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd\">\r\n
    <html xmlns=\"http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml\" dir=\"ltr\" lang=\"en\">\r\n
    <head>\r\n
    \t<!-- no cache headers -->\r\n
    \t<meta http-equiv=\"Pragma\" content=\"no-cache\" />\r\n
    \t<meta http-equiv=\"Expires\" content=\"-1\" />\r\n
    \t<meta http-equiv=\"Cache-Control\" content=\"no-cache\" />\r\n
    \t<!-- end no cache headers -->\r\n
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Hey Scott,
    Did we always have to wait 60 seconds between reporting spam posts?
    Are there any other ways to limit spammers?
    Perhaps no links for members that have less than 50 posts?
    And posts must be 3 minutes apart?
    Thanks!
    Joshua Wood
    edited February 2009
    Woodj32177;34582 said:
    Hey Scott,
    Did we always have to wait 60 seconds between reporting spam posts?
    Are there any other ways to limit spammers?
    Perhaps no links for members that have less than 50 posts?
    And posts must be 3 minutes apart?
    Thanks!
    Joshua Wood

Seconded! I was reporting spam the other day... and have to wait 60 seconds 60 WHOLE SECONDS to report them, I dont agree with that. I also think that people who have accounts for spamming usually have a display name of 1, can this be barred so it cant be 1? Then it makes it more annoying for spammers :18:
    edited February 2009
    Not certain about the delay on reporting spammers. However, we only need one of their posts reported, not all of them. I've got a plugin that lets us delete all their posts and ban them as a single action from just any one of their posts. So just flag one of their posts and that is all we need.
    edited February 2009
    SBlair;34587 said:
    Not certain about the delay on reporting spammers. However, we only need one of their posts reported, not all of them. I've got a plugin that lets us delete all their posts and ban them as a single action from just any one of their posts. So just flag one of their posts and that is all we need.

Now thats nice software. I used to spend like 10 mins finding them all and reporting. Noneed for that any more. Thanks Scot! :friday:Now I have just noticed something whilst posting... I will attach print screen. Take a look at the bottom right hand side of the screen...the emoticons...
    edited February 2009
    Must be something with the browser. I'm not seeing that happen here at all. On this laptop I happen to be running IE6.:dunno:
    edited February 2009
    Maybe it is my browser. I have a request, I dont know whether it is software/hardware related, it may be to do with you server space avalibility/speed. Is it not possible for us to store more than 50 personal messages? I would like to keep alot of mine.. but cannot because of the limit. :)

Thanks,
  • RANDELLRANDELL Registered User
    60 whole seconds ... LoL!