Atomic Strobe - Flashing by tapping

Hi,
is it able, to flash a strobe like the Atomic in a tapped speed?
My idea was to make two Cues, one with Intens 100%, one with 0% and make a chaser. But within the 100% Cue the Strobe flashes more then one time.
With a moving head it would be no problem.

Any tipps?

Greetings,
Ben
  • Are you using them in 1, 3 or 4 channel mode? I don't have any on hand to test this with but if you have them in 3 channel mode with channels 2 and three at a DMX value of zero it will flash once with a change of intensity. Sounds like what you are looking for. This information is from the mannual not a real world set up so your millage may vary.

Mike
  • I usually use the 4 channel mode.
    I'll try this tip the next days.

Greets,
    Ben
  • yeah I got it today.

Creating a cue with Intens @ 100 and frequency+strobe duration @ 0 will give you the possibility to flash the Atomic.

When I make a second cue with intens @ 0, and activate "its a chase" gives me the possibility to tap in the strobe speed, but the problem is, that I have to tap twice for one strobe/beat.
    I tried to set the second cue only @ 99% intens (hoping the atomic will flash every cue) but that doesn't work. Seems it's neccesary, to make a change from intens 0 to intens x, otherwise the atomic won't flash.

But I found my wake to realise what I want:
    1. Cue: Atomic @ full
    2. Cue: Atomic @ 0 -> Macro: GoMaster
    It's a chase and voilá it works!

Thanks for your help rocitop!
  • correct me if I am wrong, but, a Macro (Go Master) will only work if the current cue list with the strobe chase is selected... Wouldn't you be better off to do a Follow command?
  • There is not a way to do a tap sync. but if it is a chase, you can just change the BPM of the chase.

If you have 2 cues, first is the strobe on, and second the strobe off, select is a chase, that will make it go back and forth. Make sure the fade time is 0. Like mentioned above, I believe using the Go Master will do any selected master. You could do Go List which will be a for sure way of doing that, but I think doing a chase for this will be better since you can control the speed easily by holding down choose and spinning the BPM wheel.

Ryan
  • Hmm don't know if GM goes the choosen master. But GMx should work maybe? Will try it.
    It works with a chase, but that's what I want, only a chase is tapable, I think!?
    The follow command doesn't work in a chase.

@ryanwilkinson: Instead of turning the bpm wheel it's possible to hold the choose button and tap the play button.

But the problem is, that the strobe off cue needs one tap.
    That means for a song with 100bpm I have to tap 200bpm ->uncool
  • If you do go list opposed to go master, it will be a guaranteed fire of the cue you want. That way if you move it, you won't have to do anything differently.

Im pretty sure they have not yet implemented any type of tap sync. It is on their list-o-todo's/. That is correct.. you will have to double it. But if you split your strobes up into 2 groups then you can alternate which are on and that will allow you to get out of the BPM doubling. Even if they did have tap sync, you would have to tap it 2x as fast..

Ryan
  • ok, thank you, go list should work.
    But where is the difference between the tap sync and "choose -> tap play". choose and tap play will cause the cuelist to make one step per tap.
    Isn't it a tap sync?

Splitting the atomics is not the kind of workarround I like. It doesn't work with only one atomic.

But go list should work.
  • Ok.. I stand corrected.. learn something new every day! Guess that is a tap sync.

Alright.. so here is what I can come up with. Have 1 list that has 2 cues in it. This one will just be a normal cue list. Make the first cue strobe on like before. Make the 2nd strobe off. Both with a 0 fade time. Now in the wait for the 2nd cue, put in a time. like .08s. This will be how long the strobe will flash on for.

Now make a 2nd list. Just record 2 blank cues by not having anything in the programmer and recording to an open list twice. now in the macro field, put in go list and list number of the previous list you made. Select that one to be a chase. What will happen is every cue will tell the other list to go. The other list will go from the off cue to the on cue and back to the off cue in a loop.

I don't have a light with me right now so I can't throughly test it.. but in theory it should work as you need it. Once you set the time for the flash, you can remove that list from the fader and leave it as a virtual list. Alternatively you can have the 2nd cue in the first list be a release for that list and have the release time be 0. That way the list is only active when the chase is running and if the chase stops, then you don't have to worry about it being active. You will have to mess around with the timings to get it right, and I am not sure how fast the console will fire this off. so it will be a little experiment. but at least now every beat it is telling it to fire now so it should be more accurate and you don't have to press it twice as fast..

Ryan
Related