USB CD-rom for Road Hog

prmuchaprmucha Registered User
So I was on a show recently where we had a Hog 3 as the main console and a Road Hog (not a full boar, just the regular); and in order to back up to the Road Hog, we had to record the show to a CD-rom, then transfer that CD on a PC to the USB flash drive.

Is there a way that the RoadHog could at all be allowed to have a USB CD-rom attached to it? It's kind of annoying to not be able to just do a simple backup from a Hog3 to a RoadHog. I'm not asking for network ability or anything like that, as I realize it's a low-line console. I just would like the ability to either use USB flash drives on the Hog 3 console (which I know is in the works) or the ability to use a USB CD-rom attached to the RoadHog.

Comments

• Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited January 2009
    Patrick

USB CD-roms are supported by the Road Hog.
    Was the device showing up in file browser or was it failing during the burn process?
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Never even tried connecting one to be honest, as I didn't have one handy to try it. Good to know those are supported by the RoadHog. We'll have to get one in the future for just these problems. Do you know which ones are supported?
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited January 2009
    Patrick

Generally speaking if Windows supports the usb cd-drive then so will the Road Hog.
    If you have a certian device you are looking to get, if you would like let us know and we will will double check the list of know compatible devices before you buy it.
    edited January 2009
    Sounds good Michael! Thanks!
  • Cmy.dkCmy.dk Registered User
    edited March 2009
    It would be 10,000 times better that the WH3 supported USB backup.

Then everything would be ALOT easier

Johnny
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Cmy.dk wrote: »
    It would be 10,000 times better that the WH3 supported USB backup.

Then everything would be ALOT easier

Johnny

Agreed.

In the meantime of you really need USB bakcup on a Hog-3 simply connect a H3PC machine and Network Map your USB drive into the system.....no problem!

Hope this helps:)
    edited March 2009
    Only, you'd need a full Hog 3 or Full Boar to do so...the Road Hog (non-full boar) does not support that as it is non-networking.

But on the same token, that's a great thought.
  • erockerock Registered User
    edited March 2009
    But with a Roadhog and RHFB you can use a USB thumbdrive directly from the console.

Eric
    edited March 2009
    Yes, I know that. The original problem I was facing was that to transfer a show from the Hog III console to a Roadhog (non FB), you had to take the burned CD-Rom of the Hog III, load it up onto a computer, and then put that onto the USB stick. Then, you could put the show onto the Roadhog. So, there was no easy way to transfer files directly from the Hog III to the Roadhog with one simple motion or disk/drive.

Networking the console with a computer, thus making the USB drive attached to the laptop networked seems like a partial workaround, I just wouldn't want to keep mapping the thumb drive each time I pulled it from the laptop to put it on the Roadhog...either way, the solution of a USB CD-Rom was what I was going for, and as HES said earlier, most will work with the console. I figure that way there is just a burned disk to the console in one motion (that is until USB drives are accessible directly from a Hog III full size console).
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited March 2009
    Transfering shows:

No matter what console I am using I will make revisions onto disc if the console has a disc drive then make copys to my laptop and 2 USB flash drives. It has already been said above that the Road Hog supports USB disc drives. I would suggest getting one, then saving your Road Hog show to thier aswell, then make copys of that on zip disc and CD to put into a Hog 3...

I make alot of copys, but you can never have enough... you will be grateful when you have lost some or some have been corrupted. I have a showfile database that I built in Microsoft access. It wasnt hard, it has queries, reports and mail merges so I can quickly find, see details and access all of my shows. I recommend other programmers do the same.. I love it!
  • Cmy.dkCmy.dk Registered User
    edited July 2009
    I have a RH (non fullboar) and a USB CD drive - works fine!

Does the desk support a USB CD Burner?

J