Dodgy DP2000???

For some shows now i've experinced problems with my DMX, Suddenly MH's behave erraticly, or in an instance not at all...?? Always only a couple of them....The problems seem to be dependant on whether or not I Terminate the signal at my DMX splitter... The funny thing being that the problem is there when I DO terminate the signal?!? I've tried different brands of splitters, same results.. So now I suspect the DP2000... Anyone knows of this problem??, I'm running a refresh rate of 30 hz, on the DP, have tried other rates, no difference.... Would It be possible to get a DMX timing chart for the DP2000, timing values for "Break", "Mark after Break" "Mark time between Frames and packets", general values of how the DP2000 build the DMX signal.... These values would sertainly help me diagnose if My DP2000 is sick or not....

System:
WH III running 3.0.0 software
DP2000 Running 3.0.0 software

Thanks in advance

Nicolai :hogsign:

sorry if my spelling if off ;-/
  • If adding a terminator *causes* a problem, that's usually an indication that one of the two data wires in the DMX line is broken.

DMX uses two data wires and a third common wire. An unterminated DMX line will frequently work with one of the two data wires broken, but it will be very flakey.
  • Hi Eric, I'm sure it's not my main dmx feed (from desk to splitter) as i've had the problem on different occations, with multiple dmx lines....

Any insight on, the specs. on the dmx signal from the dp2000?

This summer I had a problem running Studio due citycolors, with my DP2000,(Posted elsewhere) so perhaps something is in deed wrong....

My next step would be testing the signal with a dmx tester "DMXter4" or simular, or even do a checkup with an osiloscope...

What method do you use for testing at HES??
  • DP2000 Signal Timing:
    Break: 291 us
    MAB: 61 us
    Inter Slot Time: 4 us
    Break to Break: depends on refresh rate setting

DP8000 Signal Timing:
    Break: 132 us
    MAB: 20 us
    Inter Slot Time: 1 us

Do you have the problem with all 4 ports of your DP? It's possible that one side of the line driver is blown, which will cause similar behavior to a broken wire. A blown line driver on the splitter would also be a suspect.

I use an Oscilloscope, a DMXter, and a DFD GIZMO depending on the day and what I'm doing. There's also an Artistic Licence Microscope around the department I grab when I need a 3rd DMX tester. Personally I prefer the DMXter because it has the best timing analysis. (In the interest of full disclosure: I've done work for Goddard Design)
  • Thanks a bunch....:D

Would a blown line driver affect all 4 universes? I've rarely used my 4 th' universe, and also not noticed the error on this line... Is replacing the line driver a easy job? I have replaced AVOlites Pearl line drivers on two occations now, they even ship the desk with an replacement driver inside....:rolleyes:

PS. I will try to convince my company to buy the Dmxter4, even though it is priced at 1700$ here in Denmark. Did some reading up on the unit, seems like a neat (need) tool...

Thanks

Nicolai
  • There is one line driver per universe. It's very possible for one or more to be blown, while the others work properly.

If you're comfortable working inside electronic equipment, the line driver on a DP2000 is relatively easy to replace. It's a socketed DIP IC.
  • Hi Nichoqwe and Ericthegeek.
    Have you found any solutions on this problem? I also experience these problems, especially with I-Pix Sattelite. But I found wierd workaround, I convert the DMX signal to Art-net and then back again in the same box; no mor problem. But why is this? The problem with I-PIX were experienced on differnt HOG3s and DP2000s.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Cheeers
    Yngvar Thoresen
  • [QUOTE=ericthegeek;33896]DP2000 Signal Timing:
    Break: 291 us
    MAB: 61 us
    Inter Slot Time: 4 us

DP8000 Signal Timing:
    Break: 132 us
    MAB: 20 us
    Inter Slot Time: 1 us

Do you have the problem with all 4 ports of your DP? It's possible that one side of the line driver is blown, which will cause similar behavior to a broken wire. A blown line driver on the splitter would also be a suspect.

I use an Oscilloscope, a DMXter, and a DFD GIZMO depending on the day and what I'm doing. There's also an Artistic Licence Microscope around the department I grab when I need a 3rd DMX tester. Personally I prefer the DMXter because it has the best timing analysis. (In the interest of full disclosure: I've done work for Goddard Design)

Can you change the:
    Break time and MAB in DP8000 software - HOG3 Pc

Thank You.
Related