(2417) Bug Report: Desktop and front panel freeze

HillbillyHillbilly Registered User
1/17/09
V3.0.0 b2417
1 - Hog III
1 - X-Wing
2 - DP 2000
ESP Vision

Issue - I have a cue list that is firing other cue lists during a song. When these two lists are fired, the desktop locks up as well as the front panel (choose buttons, ICBF buttons). Playback is not affected and the main go button still works. The two lists that are being fired are both set as cue only, reset on release, release on next go. One of them is a 4 step chase, the other is an FX intensity chase. The cue stack looks like this....

Cue 1 GL3 (4 step chase)
Cue 2 GL4 (FX intensity)
Cue 3 GL3
Cue 4 GL4
repeat.....

I use this sequence a few times during the song and each time it will lock up the desktop. The desktop will eventually un-freeze and catch up to the cue, but it takes up to 45 seconds for that to happen.

Initally, I was firing the 4 step chase and intensity chase manually (go off zero, or using flash buttons) and was seeing the same thing. I initally thought that maybe the button presses were confusing the desk so I set it to fire automatically and still had the same results.

I have other cue lists that also fire other lists, but this is the only one that has this problem.

Comments

• SfeerPeerSfeerPeer Registered User
    edited January 2009
    hi Jon,

looks same like my problem, see
    http://forums.highend.com/showthread.php?t=7019

Yesterday I was programming and playing a new show, where it happened again.

Also a cuelist that is triggering other cuelists. The desktop freezes as well as the front panel (choose buttons, ICBF buttons). Playback is not affected and the main go button still works. The quelist that is started by macro is set as cue only / ltp ...

Only difference: my desk is a FullBoar, so it must be some general softwarebug.... Anybody else???

Peer
  • jksorgjksorg Registered User, Hog Beta
    edited January 2009
    I have had this same problem. I am running a cue list that then at the end releases itself. The cues all fire off and releases the cue list, but the display says it's still running and I can't type anything on the command line or change the selected list. Nothing will change but I can playback anything. After about 30 seconds, it catches up with evey button press I've made.
  • HillbillyHillbilly Registered User
    edited January 2009
    To expand on this issue, now the desktop seems to be freezing at random times. During rehearsal this morning, after changing pages, the desktop would freeze. This is going to cause issues during the show when changing pages and trying to select a master and fire it. With no monitor or desktop feedback, I have no clue what cue I'm in. This can make things a little hairy.
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited January 2009
    Jon

Can you send us your show file?
    We are looking into this and I am having trouble reproducing the problem.
    edited January 2009
    Michael,

I uploaded the file. Look at "lifted me out" Page 2, Master 3.

Thanks,
    edited January 2009
    hi Michael,

my new show has several "desktop-freezes", and they all happen at the time when I start VM-quelists (with the macro-line) from my main quelist.

The stupid thing is that sometimes it happens in que 103, and a other show in que 121.
    Simularity: all the que's I start are color-loops with RGB-fixtures, so maybe to much info for the desk?
    Already found a bug at HES?

thanx,
    Peer
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I've seen this problem as well on a Road Hog with V3.0.0 and v.3.0.1

I had a full desktop freeze after just lighting up the desk, starting a new show, patched a bunch of fixtures. Closed the window and clicked on output. That caused the desktop to freeze. Funny thing is that I went to Pig+Open+Backspace and the window did not indicate that the desktop was not responding. It said running and nothing else. When I restarted the desktop through that function, no problems at all, worked again, I think it's even the same show that's out on the same show right now.
    edited January 2009
    I'm also seeing this in V3.0.1. I've deleted any macro cues that I have and am firing things manually again. This seems to help somewhat, but the issue is still there. I've also had instances where just playing a straight cue list locks the desktop. Twice last night, bumping HTP faders also caused the desktop to lock.
    edited January 2009
    I just also saw a major lock-up in v3.0.1. Anytime you would choose groups, pan and tilt them to get into position, and then try and record a position the console would lock. Also, it would not show, again, that the desktop had locked up, it showed as "running." This was fully repeatable at least 3-times, and then just randomly started to work again.
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited January 2009
    Can each of you who are experiencing desktop freezes please post your show files so our testing team can further investigate this issue? Thanks.
    edited January 2009
    Hi Chris,

can I upload the shows to http://upload.highend.com ?
    I can send a mail with comments where what happens, which mailaddress should I use?
    edited January 2009
    Please use http://ftp.highend.com/upload/ and send it to my attention.
    edited January 2009
    Hi Steve,

I have uploaded 2 shows.
    To reproduce:

show 'Tilburg 200 jaar' :
    - play quelist 1 "show" on fader 10 with the central playbutton
    - at Q20 or Q21 the desktop freezes

show 'Okobua Percus' :
    - play quelist 3 "show" on fader 10 with the central playbutton
    - at Q35 and Q39 I play M8 by flashbutton ( assigned as go on flash). Is a short "step-que" with 5 pushes ( = 6e is a followque) on the flashbutton and I play that total list 5 x in Q35 and 4 x in Q39. Sometimes it freezes at Q35, other times at Q39
    - yesterday I also had a sudden freeze at Q136, out or nothing.

FullBoar version 3.0.1 with only external USB = ELO 15" touchscreen. Hope this makes sense for you, and that you can find anything wrong...

thanx,
    Peer
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited January 2009
    Hi,
    Can any of you confirm or not if you have the output window open on an internal screen or external monitior.
    I know we all know about the output window issue but i think it's seems to more pronounced in v3 software to the point where it freeze's the console completly leaving the console frozen until all windows are closed.

I know this is obvious but just wondering.

Cormac
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited January 2009
    I have my output window open 99.9% of the time on an external monitor and I don't have the desktop freeze issues...

Just thought I'd throw that out there....
    edited January 2009
    My output is open on an external ELO. But I don't have to close any window do "un-freeze".
    I can play my Q-list further with the play-button, and after a little while the freeze is over and the que-list pops to the que where I am at that moment. Also then the outputwindow updates to the values for that que.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited January 2009
    Hi,
    Ok cool i thought i'd mention it because i've seen a Hog III with a Dp2000 and Roadhog FB freeze (both of which were running v3) completly if i have the output window open and then become responsive again shortly after it was closed.
    Sfeer can you try the same process with the output closed to see if the same thing happens with the console
    jon point taken.
    I'm not suggesting this has anything to do with q's being released as per the first post.

best C
    edited January 2009
    hi C,

that's a bit tricky during a live show...... Normally I don't have time to do a complete runtrough during a load-in, but if I've got the spare time I could try to re-create without the outputwindow open.
    edited January 2009
    I had it crash opening the output window on a RoadHog pressing the on-screen view to open output. It displayed the output and locked up.
    edited February 2009
    Chris,

today several random freezes.

I run my show in view "showview" with external Elo on dvi-2.
    After a few desktop-restarts I switched to view "Peer" and from then no more freezes, so maybe the view is corrupt?

Btw: in view "showview" the output-window is on external Elo as maximized ( in "Peer"-view it is on ext. Elo for half-size)

Peer
    edited February 2009
    Peer,

Does the desk recover from the freezes after a short period of time or do you have to restart the desk?
    edited February 2009
    hi Chris,

never restart, after say 45 sec everything is working allright again. Que-list jumps to the que I'm in on that moment, and all outputscreen-values catch up.

after reading the post from cormajack I changed the size of the output-screen ( from maximumsize to halfsize on upper half ), and had no problems the last 2 shows.
    But I have 4 more shows next 4 days, maybe I'll check if the screenresolution-pref in the desk makes a difference ( now on maximum, is that 32b / 72hrz ?? ).

I'll let you know
    Peer
  • Ivan HamwijkIvan Hamwijk Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Hi guys,

can I join you with the freezing desktop issue? I will post the file.
    thanks
    edited February 2009
    Any update on this issue?

As an update on my end of things, I'm seeing this happen very frequently. I notice it more when running a scene on a wing master that is set to ICBF, go on +0, release on 0.
    edited February 2009
    As a further update to this issue, I notice that if I am running a VM and fire a cue that stomps the VM, the desktop freeze will generally happen. Probably 7 times out of 10. If I release the VM first, all seems to be well.
  • bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited February 2009
    Thanks Hillbilly..

We will continue to look into this as it is a high priority bug to fix...
    edited March 2009
    hi Chris,

my tour is ready, and since I changed the output-screensize on my external monitor from fullscreen to half-upperscreen I only had 1 or 2 incidental freezes....

Peer
    edited March 2009
    Hillbilly wrote: »
    As a further update to this issue, I notice that if I am running a VM and fire a cue that stomps the VM, the desktop freeze will generally happen. Probably 7 times out of 10. If I release the VM first, all seems to be well.

I think this slow down could be due to a bug we've now discovered in the output window when show palettes is turned on. Is that something you commonly have turned on in your output window?
    edited March 2009
    yes, in my outputwindow is "show palletes" always on

Peer