Losing Fixtures (homing up)

CMikaelianCMikaelian Registered User
I just setup a show with the new software 3.0.0 and as I was wringing out the system I noticed that I would have to grab and shake some fixtures before they would "Home" down. At one point I went away for about an hour and when I came back about half the rig was homed up again. The units immediatly find themselves if either pan or tilt is touched. Is this some kind of DMX hickup I am getting with the new software? Nothing else on this system has changed so I am not sure what else this could be.

I am using a Whole Hog III with Playback Wing and 2 External Monitors and a DP 2000 with the following fixtures patched;
12 Mac 2k Profiles
12 Mac 2k Washes
12 575 Studio Spots
12 575 Studio Colors

This problem is not isolated to any one type of fixture. I am routed through an Iso Splitter on each of the three moving light universes in the DP 2000 but I have never had this problem with this system before. Any suggestions?

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited January 2009
    Conrad,

When you say "homed up" I assume that you mean the fixtures are pointing into the upper corner of their movement. This is usually the case if the DMX values for pan and tilt equal zero. When you see fixtures in this state, what does the output window indicate for the pan/tilt of the fixtures? This problem could be due to the ISO splitter as well... looking at the console output would help to further determine where the problem lies.

take a look and report back, also you can send me your show so we can try to reproduce the problem.. send it to me via http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
  • CMikaelianCMikaelian Registered User
    edited January 2009
    This was only happening when the units were "released" and were not being sent any signal. Once they were in a cue or grabbed with a wheel they would respond normally. I can still send you the show but the problem only presented itself while patching and programming. I even started a new show and the problem presented itself again. We have never had problems with these Iso Splitters before and have used them for houndreds of other shows without this issue. It was only after this software install that I started experiencing this issue. I was wondering if I was temperarily loosing DMX somehow or if the fixtures just weren't recognizing the signal.
    edited January 2009
    Conrad,

thanks for the update... again when this occurs what does the output window say for the pan/tilt values? Also you can look in the DMX window but you will need to know what channels are the pan/tilt. This will help us determine what is going on.

thanks,
    edited February 2009
    I had another LD come through our theater with his own WholehogIII and he had experienced similiar problems. Once I hooked up my console to his rig he had several fixtures that were acting like they didn't have DMX but would respond and go to the correct position once I grabbed them.

Before grabbing the units there is nothing listed in the output window since I don't have the fixtures captured. Once I give them a pan or tilt command the percentages show normally and the unit responds as expected.
    edited February 2009
    Conrad,

When the other console was connected, did you use the same show file, or was it a new one? Were you using the same DPs? Did you ever send your show file to us? http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
  • cmuenchowcmuenchow Registered User, Administrator, HES Staff
    edited February 2009
    Conrad,

Here's a couple of thoughts. If the the fixture was losing data then instead of going to position 0/0 pan/tilt it would most likely just stay at 50/50 pan/tilt and eventually douce the lamp. So I think we can rule out a loss of dmx. Instead it sounds like we are dealing with the fixture explicitly being told to go to 0/0 pan/tilt which would be a dmx value of 0 for those channels. So, to confirm that the board is actually sending this value it would be best to open the dmx window (setup, dmx) and check to see what the actually dmx output values are from the board. Since all of your fixtures are going to 0/0 pan/tilt you should see tons, if not all, 0s as values in the dmx window.
  • glen010glen010 Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Hi all..

im getting this issue as well when using Change Fixture type, and My Highlite pallette also blocks the shutter function... this is a real pain as im in the Balatics changing type every day.... and the only way to work around this is to Change type, and HARD RESET all DP and Desks... the reload the show...

seem to be the last unit in the group of units i have changed type in... so if i change 101 > 104 from Mac 700 to 2k Spots, unit 104 will home up... you have to grab it again from time to time to awaken it..

Also change Martin TW1 to Mac 2000 Wash (601 > 606)... if i bump them to line up with HIGHLITE pallette... then i lose control of 604 and maybe 605. again Full Hard Reset... get me going again.

Tom, Chris, Show file is James Blunt Arena - any of the Canada or European Files will be the same....

or shout if you need it sent.

i think someone else has reported problems with change type on 3.1.. but im on a late load in... so typing quickly....
  • asknutasknut Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Im on a showsite right now with 2 seperate systems and we are experiencing similar problems.

system 1
    Hog III
    DP 2000
    D link Switch
    MAc 2k/ VL 3k and vl 2500

system 2
    Hog III
    DP 2000 (crossover cable)
    DL 2
    Mac 2k
    VL 3500

Both systems running 3.0.1

Seems to be in pan and tilt on on all types of fixtures at random seems to have lost output. Happens when no cue lists are active and nothing is in the programmer. the output window show no value snd no source of control. As soon as you run a cue list, or grab the fixtures in the programmer they go where they are told...
    edited February 2009
    Alan,

Can you please send us your show file at http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
    edited February 2009
    In our testing this has been seen to occur every once and a while when patching/unpatching fixtures and then applying the patch or closing the patch window. We are still looking for "non-patch reproduction methods" of this bug while working to fixing the known patch reproduction method of this issue. As mentioned several times in this thread, touching the fixture, manipulating the broken parameter, or resetting the DP does resolves the bad 0 dmx value. For users experiencing this issue please keep an eye out for when it occurs and note if at any recent point in your programming you had changed the patch in any way.
    edited February 2009
    Chris,

also after a few goes at patching using the @ key on the numeric keypad this stops working, and you have to use the PATCH @ button in the patch window. i also notice that my problems can be seen straight away when you press APPLY PATCH. if you come out of the patch window without pressing this sometimes (not always) you get away with it.

PS also the CP Alpha Spot 1200 have the Zoom back to front, and the Colours are all split after a fixture type change...
    edited February 2009
    What fixtures are you change typing to CP Alpha Spot 1200?
    edited February 2009
    Sent you the Show File......

CP Alpha Spot 1200
    edited February 2009
    Glen,

So what I need to know is what were these CP Alpha Spot 1200 before you changed them to CP Alpha Spot 1200.

I think your change type bugs are seperate from what is going on in this thread. I believe patching is the real culprit for the "home up" issue, regardless of whether or not the fixture is changed type or not. In any case I still want to see how we are screwing up the change types to the CP Alpha Spot 1200.
    edited February 2009
    Sorry Chris... i know its not to do with this thread, just stuck it in ..

they where Mac 700 Spot in 16bit Extended Mode.

they might have been changed to MAC 2000's as this was an file from Mexico and i think that was Mac 2k's..

thanks

ie Where all MAC 700 Spot : for mexico changed to MAC 2000 Spot : for Dubai show changed to CP Alpha Spot 1200
    edited February 2009
    Hey Glen,

No problem. Mike and I just looked at the CP Alpha Spot 1200 in a new show file and it has the same problem dmx problems. It is simply an incorrect fixture profile. We will log a bug and get that fixture profile fixed.
    edited March 2009
    Chris, i see 3.0.2 is out today, but i dont see the bug numbers for this, i think they are 12707 & 12705? for the patch errors, can you give a time scale when this will be fixed... as it is painfull to me everyday at the moment.

thanks
    edited March 2009
    Hi Glen,

Bug #12705, which deals with dmx values going to zero during patch/unpatch is currently under development and targetted to our next patch release (3.0.3). Bug #12707 deals with the DP8000 losing random programmer values when the programmer has been sitting idle with data for a long period of time. We are still gathering information about that bug and it will most likely be targetted to our next patch release as well. I have commented into bug #12705, regarding your pain.
    edited March 2009
    thanks.... as always...
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited March 2009
    IPC: 3.01
    attched devices : wing/superwidget/usb keyboard

Hi,
    i'm sure you know this is happening but i saw this yesterday for the first time.
    Changing from mac 700 spot to Clay paky Alpha wash 575.
    Fixture 102 became unresponvie after change type with the only fix being to log off and restart the show.

I've got another 15 shows in the next few weeks with change type will this happen with every show?

Cheers Cormac
    edited March 2009
    cormacjack,

yes, if you change type and do patch changes .. yep.. best way (as you Know by Now) is get it all done, then restart.. and each and every time you go into the patch window and change things, do a restart.

i had this for the last 3 weeks of a tour, everyday!.

as the above from chris says, its slated to to be fixed in V3.0.3.

BUG 12705 for your ref.
  • cormacjackcormacjack Registered User, DL Beta
    edited March 2009
    Hi Glen,
    ok i was restarting after change type but not after every patch change which i won't have enough hours in the day to do.

Cheers and thanks C
    edited April 2009
    The issue of random dmx values going to zero after patch/unpatch has been resolved in yesterday's 3.0.3 b2452 public software release. With this fix users should no longer experience the "homing up" problems posted in this forum. (reference bug #12705)
    edited April 2009
    This seems to have fixed the problem I was having. Just used the Wholehog III console on two new shows. One show with the 3.0.2 Patch and the next day the new patch came out and I upgraded to the 3.0.3 for the second show and didn't have any problems. Thank you for your support in this matter.