Back up on network

In the this softw. ver. one new and exciting new feature, is network HD, that you can back up your show to a server or external harddrive.
How does this work?
Can you save to any HD, e.g one another Hog3?
I cant find anything in the user manu. :confused:
Have anyone tried this?

Cheers
Yngvar:)
  • If you have more than one console on a network, on the same show, you are using multi-user programming and playback. The way this works is: You have one console being the SERVER. Anything else that connects to the same show on the same port is a client or a node. Lets have an example:

3x WHIII consoles (Server, only 1 server. The other 2 consoles are clients)
    3x DP2000s (Node)
    1x FTP file server

All consoles are on the same port. (On wholehog O/S the default port is 6600). The server consoles number is 1. And "run server" is enabled. The port, console number, and "run server" options are avalible before you load a show under the "settings" softkey in the log on screen.

On the second console its number is 2, it is on port 6600 and "run server" is NOT enabled. On the third console its number is 3, it is on port 6600 and "run server" is NOT enabled.

Now, console 1 is the server. All informtaion (patch, groups etc) is avalible on all 3 consoles and can be used and editted accordingly. In terms of back-up, in this case, if the show is saved by the programmer on consoles 2/3 it will save to the hard drive one console 1. This is because it is the server, whereas 2 and 3 the are clients. Where does an FTP file server come in? A file server is added to the network via the server console. When you have saved the show on any console. You can then back it up onto the file server. This then means there are two copies of the show on two seperate hard drives.

This should be done on top of making back-up revisions by CD and zip disk. You can never have enough copies!

There is more information on page 82 of the v3.0.0 user manual bout file sharing.

Does this make any sense? Does it help?
  • Thanks for the reply.
    I also found a couple of other threads on the subject.

But what I wanted to know was, can a seperate H3 be a server disk?
    Say you run a show on just one H3, with 3 dp2000, all this is connected with an ethernett switch. On this show you also brought a another H3 for strictly back up. If the first H3 fails i have to load a show from a cd or Zip, but if the second console is conncted to the system, only as a back up server disk, the time it takes to get reconncted could be drastically cut down. Do you see where I am getting with this?:Eyecrazy:

Cheers
    Yngvar
  • So you want tracking back-up? This is possible Via MSC.

On your server console, enable MSC to "out". On your back-up console set MSC to "in". Make sure that on your back-up console you have the same show loaded onto it as the server console. I.E. Save a copy of the show to a CD from the server console, then load this show onto the back-up console. Now both consoles are running the same show.

i have attached the document that details exactly what you need and how to do this.

Hope this helps, Does it?
  • However, with the tracking backup, you have to have 3 more DP2000's in order to use it in the system described above, as the two consoles are essentially running the systems simultaneously, correct?

With the network ability, the best way that I've heard of is to use a console you will never program on as a server (in some cases a Hog3pc that you never actually touch) and then use the clients as your programming surface.
  • Yes you need a second set of DPs for a tracking backup.

You will also need a DMX A/B switch to change over to the backup (or in the case of 3 DP-2Ks, you might need 2 or 3 of them to get all 12 universes).

The MSC will only make sure that the two systems stay in the same cues.

It is possible to run both systems through the same ethernet switch though....just run the two systems on different ports. IE - main desk on port 6600 and backup on port 6601. With more traffic on the switch it is probably a good idea to make it gigabit in this case.

Keeping one desk only as a server is a good idea if you have several clients in theory because then that's really all that desk is being asked to do. In practice I haven't seenit make much of a difference until you go above 3 clients.

Hope this helps:)
  • All,

We do plan to implement network tracking backup as it is a frequent request. We have plans of adding it in the near future.

thanks,
  • hi gents,
    it is possible in the future ,from the client console or notebook with hogpc can save the show over the server console or load the show from server console?

greeds
  • Dol,

These suggestions have been logged and are planned for the future. I dont have a specific timeline, but we do plan to add this in a future release.

thanks,
Related