DMX Widget

Running four Cyberlights w/DMX Widget with a USB connection to a laptop. One of the four lights keeps malfunctioning. We've had it bench tested by 3 different companies - they say it is OK. In thinking back we recall that all five lights on the Widget used to light (we think). Our current Widget display is:

TX Mode - ON
RX Mode - OFF
DMX OK - OFF
Active - ON
Link - ON

We've tried different laptops, wiping out the HOG PC program and reinstalling. Problem seemed to start after techs removed some temporary Christmas lighting two years ago (MAC 300's).

Any thoughts?
  • In order to give you any real help, you'll need to provide a lot more information about your system and configuration.

*How* are your cybers misbehaving? How often does the problem occur?

What version of 3pc are you running?

What firmware do you have on your Cybers?

Does the problem cyberlight exhibit the same symptoms when controlled by any other consoles?

Do the other three Cybers work properly when connected to the same widget individually?

Is there anything else in the DMX line between the Cybers and the widget (Opto-isolator, DMX merger, etc.)?
  • Could it be possible, that when the MAC 300s where removed, the rig wasnt re-terminated? What where the 300s positions in the rig? beginning of DMX chain, end, nothing to do with the same line as the cybers..?
  • Ensure that the fixture is running in DMX mode, not LWR protocol which it may be defaulted to. As well as setting the address dip switches, you'll need to make adjustments to address dips #7 and #8 too.

Protocol Mode Switch Settings
    Address Switches 7 and 8:
    DMX Mode 1 = 7 off 8 on
    DMX Mode 2 = 7 on 8 off
    DMX Mode 3 = 7 on 8 on

Full instructions in the cyberlight manual HERE www.highend.com/pub/products/automated_luminaires/CyberLightTurbo/CyberLightTurboManual.pdf
  • Joe,

I'm sure the MAC 300's were in the same chain using the DMX Widget. We have two ceiling-suspended Cyberlights on each side of our auditorium. The light installers have two cables, one from each side of the auditorium, running back to our light booth and connected in before the output side of the widget. I don't know where the additional lights are in the DMX chain.

The light company is coming tomorrow or the next day to remove the MAC 300's and I will try to get more information on how they were configured. Bear in mind this the 3rd Christmas Season where we have had this configuration and the errant light problem has been occuring since the lights were removed at the end of the first year.
  • I'm definitly sticking to the actual running of the DMX being issue. Post back when you have checked. :)
  • Eric,

Where to begin? The bulb in this light seems to be lit all the time once power is turned on. Oddly, of the four lights this is the only one you can visually see that the bulb is struck. Initially the light may work fine for a while then stop emitting light even though the bulb is still lit. After a show and our HOG 2 program is closed and our laptop computer is turned off, this fixture never shuts down - we must turn off electrical power.

I can't answer the version of Hog 2 PC at the moment - will have to get the CD and report. However the version has not changed during any of this problem. We have removed, reinstalled and started new show to eliminate imbedded problems in old program.

Don't have any idea about firmware of Cybers - will try to research.

We are using a laptop computer (have tried substitutes - same results) and don't have any other consoles.

The other three Cybers are working properly, all using the same DMX Widget. Have not tried connecting individually. We have two cables - one going to two lights on left side of room and one to the right side of room.

I don't know of any other hardware between the Widget and the Cybers.
  • If the other fixtures work properly with the widget, then the widget is probably not causing your problem

You said:
    "...two cables, one from each side of the auditorium, running back to our light booth and connected in before the output side of the widget..."

How are these two cables connected to the widget? You can't use a "Y" splitter cable on a DMX line. Everthing must be in a single daisy chain with the console at one end and a terminator at the other. To split a line, you must use a DMX splitter, preferably an opto-isolated splitter.

If you swap the bad Cyber to the other side of the auditorium, does the problem follow the fixture, or the hanging position?

Does the fixture always fail, or only sometimes? Does it always fail in the same cue?

How long did they leave it running during the bench test? They'd need to leave it running for a while to find an intermittent fault.
  • Eric,

The two cables I referred to were the temporary cables for the addition of the MAC 300's for the month of December. These Cyber Lights have been up and functioning for 5-8 years (before my time as an operator). I have to assume they had been properly wired prior to the MAC 300's being installed 3 Decembers ago because there were no problems then.

I just learned StageTech is coming in the morning to remove the temporary lighting - let me talk to them about the wiring and then I will respond again after that.

By chance is there any way I could contact you by phone tomorrow should there be a question about anything we run into?
  • Give support a call for any questions. 1.800.890.8989. They're good people and can help you out.

Don't assume anything. Marginal or mis-installed cabling can work for a while then go flakey because the humidity changed or someone looked at it crosseyed.
  • [quote=harleybob]Where to begin? The bulb in this light seems to be lit all the time once power is turned on. Oddly, of the four lights this is the only one you can visually see that the bulb is struck. Initially the light may work fine for a while then stop emitting light even though the bulb is still lit. After a show and our HOG 2 program is closed and our laptop computer is turned off, this fixture never shuts down - we must turn off electrical power.

I have seen this probelm before in Cybers....either you have a problem somewhere on the Logic board (probably Voltage Regulators or one of the DMX diodes) or the 14 pin harness connecting the PSB to the Logic is going bad.....that is where I would start anyway.....hard to say without cracking it open and taking a look.....definitely sounds like a fixture specific problem.

Hope this helps:)
  • Thanks for all replies. Hopefully the problem has been solved (at least for now). Today, as December Christmas lights were being taken down the Tech discovered there was a 5-pin cable right after the Widget, going into a 3-pin cable then into another 5-pin before going into the splitter. After removing all but one 5-pin connector the light seems to perform correctly.

I sure appreciate each of you taking the time to respond. Many thanks!

:) Bob
Related