Technobeam Iris Assy install

K9MikeK9Mike Registered User
edited December 2008 in HES Automated Lighting
I have a "new in box" ('03) Technobeam, and am trying to install the iris assembly. Thought this would be a slam dunk, but I'm having a bit of a problem. When installed, the litho wheel scrapes the iris bracket at one point in its rotation. There is no 'play' in the bottom mounting hole of the iris bracket, so I can't adjust it any further away from the litho wheel. I figured I could loosen the litho wheel set screws and scoot it rearward a tad away from the iris, but it's already against the gearset.

Is there some other trick like bending the bracket slightly? The best solution I can think of is to elongate the mounting hole in the Iris bracket so it can move away from the litho wheel 1/16" or so. Am I overlooking something really obvious?

Thanks!

- Mike

Comments

• Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    It is a super tight fit.
    the deal is that you need to futz with the mount that goes into the stand off,
    loosen both screws, and move the iris around until it just fits without touching the litho wheel or the fx wheel.
    If you can't get it to work, you may have the litho wheel a bit too far out on the motor shaft.
    Or, I have seen the litho wheel warp, and then there is no solution other than to replace the wheel.
    the old plastic wheels definetly seem to warp more than the new aluminum ones.
    Good Luck!
    Joshua Wood
  • K9MikeK9Mike Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I will try to jockey things around a bit more, although I did try adjusting the clearance by fooling with the positioning on the standoff and moving the litho wheel back on its shaft. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.

Thanks for the info and suggestions!

- Mike
    edited December 2008
    You weren't kidding when you said it was a super tight fit. After few mounting tests (and before I noticed it) a tiny 'blob' of solder or metal flash protruding maybe 1/32" from one of the mounting holes on the litho wheel fell off. It was that excess piece doing the contacting with the iris and now it *just* fits.

Ran the self test and everything works as it should. The only minor issue left, (and this happens occasionally on my other TBs) is the FX wheel resonates (sort of a mild grindy sound) when it rotates. Is this indicative of something needing adjusting or perhaps lubricating?

- Mike
  • Woodj32177Woodj32177 Registered User
    edited December 2008
    as far as I have noticed, technobeam fx wheels are always a bit noisy.
    if it doesn't lose its home, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
    Joshua Wood
    edited December 2008
    Not normally a problem in the environment these things work in. Just a bit disconcerting when testing. Thanks again for all your replies!

- Mike