CMA and DL3

prmuchaprmucha Registered User
edited December 2008 in DL.3/DL.2
Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but you are required to have a computer running the CMA connected via ethernet AND the normal DMX connection to run a DL3 via a console correct (unless using ArtNET)? You cannot just upload the content and then remove the computer?

This is what I read from the manual, at least my interpretation, and I wanted clarification. We're in pre-production for a show, and would just like to know for an absolute certainty so that it can be budgeted in.

Comments

• schiefelsschiefels Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Patrick,

A computer running CMA is not required for the operation of the DL. The only thing that it is required for is loading/cloning/managing the content. Once you have got your content set up exactly as you wish, you can remove the computer running CMA and the DL will run just fine.

Regards,
  • SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2008
    You do not have to leave a computer running the CMA, however it is a good idea to leave the Network connected between the fixtures. This is used for a lot of the synchronization of the fixtures.
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Thanks guys. I just wasn't completely clear on the issue, obviously.
  • jxgriffijxgriffi Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited December 2008
    For me, personally, as Scott mentioned, I always network my DL's and also have a homerun back for FOH for CMA. I generally do not have a computer hooked up to the network, but it's nice to have the run there for when the client walks in at the last minute and asks to change the content.

Has happened too many times.....
  • Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I agree with Jon. I always leave my CMA up and running as a personal choice. I find it much easier to do things like reboot the server if needed from the CMA without messing with what is happening on the desk and DMX.
  • prmuchaprmucha Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I definitely agree with all that. I'm just not sure if I'm going to be able to get a laptop to have at FOH with me that I can leave there. If I can, I surely want to leave it connected. If not, I can at least upload content with my personal laptop and let it be from there on!

Thanks all!