record to playbacks not working

axsaxs Registered User
All,

In hog3PC I try to record Intensity on a fader.
When pressing record, selecting the choose button, the command line displays 'Record Master???'
In control panel - wings, console wing is 'not connected'.
Same for other information that I want to record.
Direct record to a listnumber is working fine

Complete new show, only patching done.

Any idea?

Comments

• bradpepebradpepe Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited December 2008
    Tom,

Are you pressing choose on a physical wing? Is the wing configured? Have you tried rebooting your computer?
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    hi Brad,

Looks like the onscreen playbacks are not working.

I will try with a wing attached later today to check if this part is working fine.

Tom
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    With a wing connected, same thing when assigning the wing to the 'console' faders.
    I'm not able to record information to the onscreen faders.
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Tom,

We will check into this ASAP.
  • Michael_GrahamMichael_Graham Registered User, Super Moderator, HES Staff
    edited December 2008
    Tom

Is 3PC installed on Window's Vista or XP?
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    vista.
    Under XP it's working fine
    edited December 2008
    What ver. of vista are you running?
    Thanks for the information, we will look into this.
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Ultimate
  • improveimprove Registered User, DL Beta
    edited December 2008
    Hi There,

I'm having similar problem. Trying to record a cue in HOG 3 PC and getting record master ???...

Running HOG PC on MAC, Running XP under VM ware with SP3. Was trying to see the new options toolbar.. but that won't come up either...

No wings or output modules attached, just the HOG PC...

Fons
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Michael,

are you able to reproduce the problem?
    Looks like it's not only me having that issue.

Tom
    edited December 2008
    Out of curiosity what master is chosen when you are seeing this problem?
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Issue is not related to a specific choosebutton. Tried all 8 on the onscreen consolewing.
    edited December 2008
    Even trying to move a list to a fader causes issues... see attachted pic

Fons
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Fons for mentioning this.
    I forgot about the move to... exactly the same issue here!

Tom
    edited December 2008
    Tom

I have not been able to reproduce this in the test lab.
    Can you send me your show file?
    edited December 2008
    We have been trying to reproduce this problem, but have yet to see it. Can any of you provide the exact keystrokes you are using to get this to occur? Does it happen all the time or can you record cues most of the time? Can you record directly to a list if not the master? Are you on a newly created page? Did you just load the show?

Any and all information will help us to track this one down.

thanks!
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Just create a new show, patch some fixtures, select fixtures, set a parameter and record to one of the onscreen masters.

It's happening all the time when recording to one of the onscreen faders even with a complete new show.
    Recording to a cuelist is working fine.
    Was able to reproduce it all the time; with different fixtures, different parameters.

The other issue that Fons is describing is also happening under the same conditions. Just 'move list x to onscreenfader' is giving an odd number in the command line.

Only occuring under Vista here, under XP no issues, so far.
    edited December 2008
    axs wrote:
    Just create a new show, patch some fixtures, select fixtures, set a parameter and record to one of the onscreen masters.

It's happening all the time when recording to one of the onscreen faders even with a complete new show.
    Recording to a cuelist is working fine.
    Was able to reproduce it all the time; with different fixtures, different parameters.

The other issue that Fons is describing is also happening under the same conditions. Just 'move list x to onscreenfader' is giving an odd number in the command line.

Only occuring under Vista here, under XP no issues, so far.

For me this happens under XP with SP3.... It's a brand new XP installation on a MAC, with SP3...(under VM Ware) and running fine for everything else...
    As Tom describes.. new show, just patching fixtures and trying to record, anything, onto a fader. Recording directly in List works fine, moving list to fader, same issue...

Fons
  • stradivariusstradivarius Registered User
    edited December 2008
    I'm having the same problem with vista home premium. hitting record and a choose button does not work, but hitting record and one of the empty playback bar on the screen works. Also, the choose buttons doesn't light up when I press them.

EDIT: After recording a cue to a master they way I mentioned, I set the master as a HTP master, and my lights came on as expected, however after that I have no control over the master. I set the fader to 0 and the lights stay on, I try to release it, but the ligths stay on, I try PIG+Release but the lights remain on. And the programmer is cleared.

Here it gets VERY interresting: When I try to move a list to master 4 I get the following command in the command line: List 1 Move Master 4294967295. That's if I try to record from the on screen front panel, but if I use the playback bar the command line says List 1 Move Master 4.
    edited December 2008
    If anyone has a show file with this condition occurring, please send it to me at http://upload.highend.com

thanks,
    edited December 2008
    Thanks Brad. Showfile uploaded.

EDIT: This is strange... After making the backup it seems to work as it should, and I haven't restarted Hog3PC or anything...
    edited December 2008
    Showfile received and testing has begun...
    edited December 2008
    Hi Brad,

Was just starting up to get show loading and backing up for you, tryed it one more time... Guess what... It now works as it should be...

Maybe I didn't reboot Windows after installing HOG PC, now I rebooted and it seems to work ok....

Fons
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the update.. maybe that is the key.. to reboot.. we will keep looking for this one.
    edited December 2008
    bradpepe wrote:
    Thanks for the update.. maybe that is the key.. to reboot.. we will keep looking for this one.

I'm not so sure of that, since I installed the software the same day it wash released. I just had not tried to record anything until yesterday. As ffor yesterday it didn't work until I made the backup of my showfile, and since that it works perfectly.
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    Brad,

Reboot didn't help.

Tom
    edited December 2008
    Ok Newsflash.....

New situation, same software...

Now, when selecting fixture... and applying parameter.... hit record, choose (1-10) it says... record cue 2... no mather wich fader I choose. And, it's an empty fader, so an empty cuelist..

I will be sending showfile in a minute....

Fons
  • Joe BleasdaleJoe Bleasdale Registered User
    edited December 2008
    OK. I just ran H3PC to have a go. I got the usual "record master X". I did get "record cue 2". But that was only becuase I acidently pressed the same master again. Can you get a repro? If you cant maybe it was a one off. I usually try to get a repro of a problem 10 times in at least 3 seperate shows. After that if I cannot reproduce it, then I deem it a one off.

Let us know :),
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited December 2008
    New install on another PC and after a reboot, same issues.
  • kmontagnekmontagne Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I am experiencing a similar problem with the on-screen playback controls. I cannot record to them or get the blue light to come up on them. This is on XP SP3. I have rebooted several times since installing v3.0. This problems occurs with or without a wing attached. I have been using this same PC to run Hog3PC for a long time. It seems to have started with v3.0. Is there any update on this problem?

Thanks,
    Kevin Montagne
    kevin (at) litkam (dot) com
    edited January 2009
    All,

We are looking into this problem and will report back soon..

thanks,
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited January 2009
    Any update on this one? Running again in the same problem here...
    edited January 2009
    We still are unable to reproduce this one in the lab or at anyone's desk. When you see the problem, is it just one instance and then it works with subsequent records? The more information you can provide the better.. can someone provide exact keystroke steps from starting a show to get this to occur?

We want to fix this, but without a repro it is difficult. It is logged as bug #12645.
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited January 2009
    It's a reoccuring issue. When you're not able to record to a fader, next attempts will fail as well.

- start new show, filename doesn't matter
    - add fixtures (nbr of fixtures or type doesn't matter)
    - select fixtures <1 thru xxx>
    - set a parameter, for example Intensity <@ full> or turn wheelset for a beam/colour parameter
    - record to an onscreen fader <record 'choose button 2 - 9'>
    - system will display in the command line: record master???

Same issue on Vista, XP and one macbookPro running vista under bootcamp. Even new installs (and after rebooting)
  • edited January 2009
    For those who have this problem: Does it only occur on multi-core or multi-processor systems? Do you ever see it on a single core system?
  • kmontagnekmontagne Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I can confirm that I have followed the same steps and have had the problem. I have had it with new shows and pre-3.0 shows. I have had it happen on XP and Vista. My XP machine is single core and my Vista machine is a dual core Athlon. But I agree that once you start having the problem it is not easy to make it go away.

--
    Kevin Montagne
    kevin (at) litkam (dot) com
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Tom for the details... we will keep trying. I added your steps to the bug log.
  • axsaxs Registered User
    edited January 2009
    I'm having the problem on a Macbookpro dualcore and a asus singlecore centrino
  • quinnquinn Registered User
    edited January 2009
    bradpepe wrote:
    The more information you can provide the better.. can someone provide exact keystroke steps from starting a show to get this to occur?

We want to fix this, but without a repro it is difficult.

hi brad,

if i understand correctly, keystrokes are not a cause for the system to enter this state; this state has already been entered by the time the desktop process has finished initiailzing.

i myself have never encountered this during normal 3.0.0.2417 use.

but this so strikingly resembles something i've seen ever since 1.4.0.1112, that i can't help but think that the two are directly related.
    1. Launch launcher, without arguments
    2. Pause/Break, Ctrl+O+Backspace, to open the Launched Processes window
    3. New Show (or, existing empty show)
    4. in the Launched Processes window, right-click the desktop process and choose "Restart desktop" from the context menu
    5. the Wholehog Screens and dummy front panel will close and restart
    6. the Wholehog Screens and dummy front panel will re-open
    7. the dummy front panel will not have any of its Choose buttons lit
    8. recording to master ??? happens
    9. moving to master 4294967295 happens
      • (looks to me like another sign bit bug, as UInt32 4294967295 would be SInt32 -1, the more likely mistaken result. type schmafety. either way, it should be Assert'd)
    10. always recording to cue 2, when a page is populated, happens
    again, i can't provide a way to get a system into this state during normal use and without restarting the desktop process. but even so, i think it's a great place to begin whiteboxing.

i hope this is helpful; i expect it might already be well-known, but your asking for keystrokes and for clarification of the symptoms prompted me to post, just in case.

attached are three supporting files, recounting:
    1. the launch of an existing but empty show
    2. recording (nothing) to choose button 1
    3. restarting the desktop process
    4. recording (nothing) to choose button 1
    DbgPrint.log : a log of standard DbgPrint output
    • new desktop process begins with event 66
    • notably missing is a FirstFaderID received event, similar to event 65
    eventlog.txt : 3PC Event Monitor > Dump Log results
    • the restarted desktop process initializes with 19929754 through 19930791
    • the eventlog.txt seems to have an XML header, and also suffers from the Unicode byte-order-mark bug; the attached file has been modified at the byte level to compensate. it should be opened in Visual Studio with its XML editor, as it's not pretty in notepad. a screenshot of this has also been attached.
    event monitor dump.jpg: screenshot of eventlog.txt
    edited January 2009
    Thanks Quinn for another well detailed answer. We will explore this today.
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited February 2009
    I just reloaded my tablet pc, and I am now experiencing this problem. It has XP3. It is a toshiba satallite r15-s822. I had 3.0.1 on and tried putting 3.0 on. I am going to try putting 2.6 on it. I am not sure if this was mentioned, but I can only choose a master by clicking on the fader bar on the left screen. this will illuminate the correct led. But I cannot control any of the other faders buttons other then the selected list. Its really weird. I am in Fredericksberg, tx through sunday morning if someone wants to come over and have a look it on my computer!
  • ryanwilkinsonryanwilkinson Registered User
    edited February 2009
    Alright, I was able to get version 3.0.1 to work. After I posted last, I installed version 2.6. I did not restart. I figured I would look and see what windows updates there were. I updated:
    Update for Windows XP (KB967715) and
    Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) x86
    Restarted and then did the following:
    Update for Windows XP (KB961118) (quit IE after, no reboot required)
    Then installed 3.0.1 and restarted when prompted. It worked after that. Don't know wether it was the .Net updates or the 2.6 but whatever, it seemed to fix it.
    RYan