3.0 error / slow response

Installed 3.0.0 on our Full Boar yesterday. After the upgrade I created a new show to test things out- it got most of the way through the process and then failed with the following error message:

class fps:: exception
Exception source callstack, desktop process, 1024 thread

Had to hard reboot - it seems like the board takes longer to boot up now (spends more time on a black screen before the zooming pig animation)

Was able to open the new show I created earlier with out any problem.

I decided to see how the new "virtual" DP8000 works - I added 5000 desk channels to the show and patched them sequentially in the first 10 universes.

Response time in the output window was very slow - I entered 1 thru 5000 @ full and I could watch the values in the desk channels "pop on" over 5-6 seconds. I had no DMX cables or any other devices connected so I couldn't verify the actual DMX output rate from the console.

I know this may not be a very valid test (5000 desk channels is a bit much) but thought I would mention it.

Once I have a bit more time, I'll do a proper test show and see if the processing still lags.

-Todd
  • Todd

We do have some redraw issues with the output window.
    You should not see any lag time in the fixtures.

What are your network setting? I have seen this message and it was when my network settings were wrong or I had an IP conflict.
  • [quote=michael_graham]Todd

We do have some redraw issues with the output window.
    You should not see any lag time in the fixtures.

What are your network setting? I have seen this message and it was when my network settings were wrong or I had an IP conflict.

Michael,

The Full Boar is stand alone, not connected to any network. Before the upgrade I believe the network adapter was configured with a 172.xxx.xxx.xxx (?) address. After the upgrade and re-boot, the console was using 127.0.0.1.

Since the problem only occured once, I think it might have been an some kind of IP conflict that needed a reboot to sort out. If I encounter any related problems going forward, I'll let you know.

Thanks - Todd
  • I have the same problem. Are of the software 3.0 the writing desk needs twice as long to start, as usual. With us is the black display, before the animation comes approx. 1-1,5 min there
  • A couple of replies here:

We are aware of the increased start up time (approx. 24s) of the Full Boar and are looking into solutions to cut this back down. Bug #12641 is logged for this issue.

In v3.0 when the Full Boar is stand-alone (not connected to any network) we no longer switch to the FPS loopback adapter. Instead we revert to a internal 127.0.0.1 address which allows for console operation without a network connect or the need for the FPS loopback adapter. This is expected.
  • I have the same experience with an iPC. A similar error message (can't remeber it exactly but I did write it down). Also the longer boot times....
  • The longer boot times can be worked around by changing your Hognet and Fixture Link IP addresses to a static IP address instead of using obtain IP using DHCP.

To change the Hognet IP address settings go into the control panel, select the network tab, and change the IP address to a static address.

To change the Fixture link's IP address, launch a show, make sure the internal DP8000 is patched, open the network window, select the DP8000, click settings, and under the artnet outputs tab change the IP address to a static IP.

The the longer bootup time is caused by the DHCP client timeout. By changing the IP address settings to a static address you can avoid this timeout delay.

NOTE: If you have a DHCP server on the Hognet network, then you can proceed with using the obtain using DHCP option for Hognet and you should not experience the long boot up time. The same applies for the fixture link.

We are looking for better software solutions.
Related