CMA Upgrade Request

Sandals512Sandals512 Registered User
So if this feature currently exists let me know, but i would have to be REALLY scatter brained to have missed it.

As happens all the time, after you've done your initial content load, the client wants to add/change something.
No problem, load it in, but then you have to do it for EVERY fixture. Not an issue if you have 3 or 4, but i'm usually doing more (right now 12 DL3's and 3 Axon's) and I have to drag it to every light.

I would like to see an "update content" function. Basically just like clone content, but it looks at what on the servers and only updates the files that have changed between the source and destination fixtures.

This would save me a ton of time, and let me keep programming instead of dragging files in and setting dmx values

Comments

• Marty PostmaMarty Postma Registered User, DL Beta, Hog Beta
    edited November 2008
    Sandals512 said:
    So if this feature currently exists let me know, but i would have to be REALLY scatter brained to have missed it.

As happens all the time, after you've done your initial content load, the client wants to add/change something.
    No problem, load it in, but then you have to do it for EVERY fixture. Not an issue if you have 3 or 4, but i'm usually doing more (right now 12 DL3's and 3 Axon's) and I have to drag it to every light.

I would like to see an "update content" function. Basically just like clone content, but it looks at what on the servers and only updates the files that have changed between the source and destination fixtures.

This would save me a ton of time, and let me keep programming instead of dragging files in and setting dmx values

This should already happen when you do a Clone Content function....only new or changed data gets written to the fixtures from the source....is this not what you are seeing?
  • SBlairSBlair Registered User, HES Alumni
    edited November 2008
    Sandals,

Are you using the Mac or Win CMA?

The WinCMA does just what you are asking for by default when cloning. It only clones the changed files.

When cloning with the MacCMA it goes through and does a complete clone of everything each time.
  • Sandals512Sandals512 Registered User
    edited November 2008
    SBlair said:
    Sandals,

Are you using the Mac or Win CMA?

The WinCMA does just what you are asking for by default when cloning. It only clones the changed files.

When cloning with the MacCMA it goes through and does a complete clone of everything each time.

I am using mac, i guess that is where the issue resides :(

and dont say bootcamp and use the wincma because i use cleaner and do all my editing and potoshop and mac and it would suck to have to switch just to upload a file
    edited November 2008
    yep....It is for this reason (amongst others) that I always specify a PC for running CMA....unless I happen to also have an AXON @ FoH to run CMA.;)

You could try running parallels with CMA...that shold work OK if you have a newer Mac.:dunno:
    edited November 2008
    I have several Axons FOH but I actually Ran out of Monitors on this show LOL

so i dont have anything to hook to the output for the cma
    edited November 2008
    Sandals512 said:
    I have several Axons FOH but I actually Ran out of Monitors on this show LOL

so i dont have anything to hook to the output for the cma

I feel your pain...on my personal server I just use a little KVM switch to toggle between output and and CMA views....you can pick one up cheap at any place that sells computer accessories.
    edited November 2008
    yeah, i have 2 of them, just didnt grab them for this show.
    and it would have been a bit of a pain because for preview of the servers i'm going into a 20" monitor with a quad split
    edited November 2008
    Well it shouldn't be hard....just take the line going in to your local preview monitor and put it in the KVM intead....then attach the monitor to the KVM, and the CMA port to the KVM and you're good to go!:cool:

Not having the KVM on hand is another story though...;)