Fixture Library Issue HOG 2PC

To all,

Having issues with a new fixture im using on a hog 2 PC system. Im trying to add my midi map as well as a new fixture to the lib.lib file and I cant find it. Im running hog 2pc on a new computer and it has vista. When I open up the show folder I only see manuals,a few DLL files and a ROM file called _lib. NOT_lib.lib. When I try and open this I get a bunch of computer non sense instead of the fixture profiles. Can't even find the midimap.txt. What is going on here, please help ASAP
  • So the only fixture profiles I can find are 5 channels and the company I rented from swears they run them at 11 and thats what their manual says, Do anyone have show file with them at 11 channels. I cant even find the _lib.lib to put them in. The whole LIBRARY folder is not there
  • [quote=CassLD]To all,

Having issues with a new fixture im using on a hog 2 PC system. Im trying to add my midi map as well as a new fixture to the lib.lib file and I cant find it. Im running hog 2pc on a new computer and it has vista. When I open up the show folder I only see manuals,a few DLL files and a ROM file called _lib. NOT_lib.lib. When I try and open this I get a bunch of computer non sense instead of the fixture profiles. Can't even find the midimap.txt. What is going on here, please help ASAP
    What appears to be going on is Vista nailing you in the rear end . . . the file _lib.lib is what you need, and I suspect that Vista is stripping the suffix and leaving you with just _lib. The top level directory of a show disk should look like:

Copyright.txt RTTABLE.DAT library/ setup/
    EFFECTS.DAT _ZCAT.DAT readme.txt

If you have .dll files, something is grossly buggered . . . that concept does not exist in Hog 2 . . . nor should there be manuals . . . what *might* be happening is that when you save, you are not specifying a clean directory, so it is just munging your stuff into some other area on the system.

This is found in the subdirectory on the show disk "library". The content in it looks like:

FUNCTION.TXT _LIB.LIB

I am not sure what you are referring to as "computer nonsense", but a _lib.lib file looks like:

version = 40
    count = 1

//---------------------------------------------------------------------

fixture = Ibeam13
    manufacturer = 2
    product = 9
    name = Ibeam 13ch

// require ML25F ver 3.04

// Dip switches (personality)
    // 3 on dmx address 1-256
    // 4 on dmx address 257-501
    // 7 off is oscillating colours, on is split colours (?)

// for following modes set [5] [6] [8]
    // 7 channel [ ] [ ] [ ]
    // 8 channel (+speed) [ ] [ ] [X]
    // 7 channel (hires) [X] [ ] [ ]
    // 8 channel (hires+speed) [X] [ ] [X]
    // 12 chan ext [ ] [X] [ ]

// 13 chan ext (+home) [ ] [X] [X]
    // 11 chan (no csum) [X] [X] [ ]
    // 12 chan (csum) [X] [X] [X]

// Set personalities to 3, (or4), 6, 8 all on (other off)

output = dmx

parameter = Pan
    default = 32768
    highlight = 0
    crossfade = 0
    type = ltp16bit
    deflection = 170
    range = 0, 65535, %

parameter = Tilt
    default = 32768
    highlight = 0
    crossfade = 0
    type = ltp16bit
    offset = 0
    deflection = 110
    range = 0, 65535, %

parameter = Colour
    default = 10
    highlight = 10
    crossfade = 1
    type = ltp8bit
    range = 10, white
    range = 23, pink
    range = 43, turquois
    range = 64, dk pink
    range = 86, green
    range = 107, purple
    range = 128, yellow
    range = 150, blue
    range = 171, red
    range = 192, congo
    range = 214, orange
    range = 235, cyan

The Hog-2 and Hog500/1000 manuals have excellent sections describing the various parameters in a library entry, and there are a number of free tools out there to help you build your own if you don't want to "hand roll it" . . .

One other thought that came to me late in the game is that on the latter Hog-2 systems (-2, -500, -1000, and -PC) the base libraries are *not* in the _lib.lib file - they are embedded in the console operating image. The _lib.lib creates when you save a show if you have edited any fixture profiles, or is created when you add one to add your new fixture. So, unless you know you have something beyond the baseline library, you may just need to create one with your new fixture in it . . .
    - Tim
  • [quote=CassLD]When I open up the show folder I only see manuals,a few DLL files and a ROM file called _lib. NOT_lib.lib. When I try and open this I get a bunch of computer non sense instead of the fixture profiles. Can't even find the midimap.txt. What is going on here, please help ASAP
    that's not your show folder, that's the folder where Hog2PC's "Program Files" live.

recommended practice is to create new show folders either on an external drive or in C:\Users\Cass\Documents\Flying Pig Systems\Hog 2PC.

once you've Saved your New Show, _lib and midimap will be available for editing.

please review the Operations chapter of the Hog 2PC Handbook for more information about working with a file system.
  • [quote=tadawson]What appears to be going on is Vista nailing you in the rear end . . .
    out of line, pardner.
  • [quote=quinn]out of line, pardner.
    Why? My initial suspicion was that Vista may have been trying to present files without the suffix, which it is known to do, which may have been part of why he couldn't find the file. That, and I don't think H2PC has ever been officially supported on Vista, which makes it a marginal choice for that platoform to start with, so problems would likely be expected, and in greater quantity than on a supported OS.

- Tim
  • I got it all worked out. Thank you for all your help. Now that Vista is supported for HOG 3 then its probably time to upgrade
Related